2 Tier Brewstand With March Pump.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You won't be able to recirc through the ring very well Yardy, massive potential to block up with shit.......

Drilled out the holes on an old shower head & just use a longer copper tube for double batches. Very happy with it. The only thing I'd change would be to make it adjustable inside the tun one of these days.
HE_Return_Outlet.JPG

TP

G'day Screwy,

could you direct me to a link that shows how these returns don't work very well ? thanks.

i'm no engineer but after re-reading Palmer's thoughts on mashing and MLT design i'll go with the ring, inverted obviously.

Cheers
Dave

No I can't Dave, could only direct you to my place for a brewday. Can put the Spray head or rotating arm on the tun to show you the results. Plus pumping/recirculating too fast results in a compacted grainbed,

Cheers,

Screwy

fair enough, can't argue with experience :) , I will no doubt alter/change/modify/cut up with a 9" grinder/tap with 4 pound hammer, a few things on it's maiden run ;)

cheers
Dave

just a few minor things now, will fit some casters when bundy bunnings get their fecking finger out and order some ( bunnings really shits me to tears), insulate the MLT lid, weld the gas bottle holder on and some other stuff..

pump plumbing
4.jpg

i put a valve in here as a drain or in case of a stuck sparge
2.jpg

kettle
5.jpg

burner
6.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

RDWHAHB
7.jpg

the whole system is soaking in PBW o'nite, the burner is performing slightly better now, from an ambient temp of 25*C i got 40 litres up to 70*C at 2*C a minute, transfer into the tun lost nothing which is normal i suppose and after recircing through the tun for 20 minutes it lost 5*C, right then, that's about it, brewday wednesday i reckon.

Cheers
Dave

Drilled out the holes on an old shower head & just use a longer copper tube for double batches. Very happy with it. The only thing I'd change would be to make it adjustable inside the tun one of these days.
View attachment 34342

TP

G'day TP,

cool idea, how do attach it to the return ? got another pic ?

cheers
Dave

G'day TP,

cool idea, how do attach it to the return ? got another pic ?

cheers
Dave

Dave,

The return entering the tun is just a short length of all-thread & the shower head is connected with a compression fitting, the nut of which has been altered to form a large wing nut for easy on\off.

HE_Return.JPG

TP

Dave,

The return entering the tun is just a short length of all-thread & the shower head is connected with a compression fitting, the nut of which has been altered to form a large wing nut for easy on\off.

View attachment 34379

TP

that looks the ducks TP, i feel a trip to the tip shop coming up :)

cheers
Dave

well, the trials of a new system..

firstly, thanks to gregs for coming around and supplying refractometer and moral support ( good bloke with good taste in music B) )

everything ran well, the recirc/sparge ring worked but needs to be on a float as the silicon tube kinks under the weight but there wasn't the flow problems as expected with the ring, in fact it flowed perfectly.

i had a minor stuck sparge, from i expect, my inexperience with the pump and outflow control but underletting a few hundred ml soon cleared it and i throttled back on the pump and all was good.

efficiency wasn't bad, after a few factors like missing the mash temp by 4*C and some other minors it still came in at 84% B)

with any setup there a few things that need tweaking but overall i'm stoked at how it ran

heads up Bundy Brewers, brewday at the park very soon :beer:

cheers

Dave

84% efficiency is still very tidy imo.

Nice work!!!

Sounds like a sucsessful first run. There is always 1 or 2 items to refine; and the efficiency at 84%, must have been pretty happy with that.

Bring on the brew day :icon_chickcheers:

QldKev

Great stuff Yardy, looks a treat. Glad the day went well and I'll be looking forward to a sample at your brew day.
Always seems to be at least one of the Bundy brewers willing to lend a hand up here, we're an awesome bunch hey :lol: .

Andrew

84% efficiency is still very tidy imo.

Nice work!!!

Sounds like a sucsessful first run. There is always 1 or 2 items to refine; and the efficiency at 84%, must have been pretty happy with that.

Bring on the brew day :icon_chickcheers:

QldKev

Great stuff Yardy, looks a treat. Glad the day went well and I'll be looking forward to a sample at your brew day.
Always seems to be at least one of the Bundy brewers willing to lend a hand up here, we're an awesome bunch hey :lol: .

Andrew

thanks fellas, yeah, pretty happy with 84 :)

G'day Andrew, too right we're an awesome bunch, the envy of the amateur brewing world i would imagine :)

cheers

Dave

It was great to meet you in person Yardy; youre another welcoming Bundy brewer with that easy going approach to life that makes people feel at home.

If youre brew rig had a name it would be (Simplicity), HLT gravity fed then recirc to clear, dump to kettle, awesome.

Looking forward to a brew day, with the combination of great beer and great music it will be one to remember.

Catch ya.

thanks mate, nice to finally catch up for a beer and a yarn :)

cheers

Dave

g'day brewers

just a few pics of todays brew, went with 40% wheat ( no gulls ) to maybe test the False Bottom and recirculation ring, no dice..

didn't have any flow problems and the grain bed after using the ring looks much more even after recirc/sparge than just using a single pipe as the return, with the single pipe the grain bed, after sparging, had a massive washout even on very low flow.

anyway, only 2 brews into the upgrade and i'm starting to hit all the numbers pretty spot on after altering a few beersmith calcs, thanks Greg :icon_cheers:

recirc/sparge ring Mk 2, flows like a bought one ;)

12.jpg

no channeling here

13.jpg

you have to love the 18 gal kettle with it's built in trub trap

14.jpg

cheers

Dave

Nice one Yardy!

Just needs a HERMS attached and it will be perfection :ph34r: :lol: .

Just a quick question Yardy did you TIG or MIG weld the Stainless?

Glad your hitting your targets which has to be satisfying after the build.

Chap Chap

Nice one Yardy!

Just needs a HERMS attached and it will be perfection :ph34r: :lol: .

Just a quick question Yardy did you TIG or MIG weld the Stainless?

Glad your hitting your targets which has to be satisfying after the build.

Chap Chap

haha, i'm struggling with this one chap, i don't need herminating just yet :lol:

it's all 316 stick mate, i was going to spring for a TIG at home but if I really need to TIG it I'll take it to work.

yeah the first brew was a bit off target which was to be expected but today was 99% spot on so I had a blast, I'm pretty happy with the ring, the difference in the grainbed is unreal and the clarity into and out of the kettle has improved a lot as well.

cheers

Dave

Ill have to get me one of those sparge rings. Looks the goods Yardy, nice one.

g'day brewers

just a few pics of todays brew, went with 40% wheat ( no gulls ) to maybe test the False Bottom and recirculation ring, no dice..

didn't have any flow problems and the grain bed after using the ring looks much more even after recirc/sparge than just using a single pipe as the return, with the single pipe the grain bed, after sparging, had a massive washout even on very low flow.

anyway, only 2 brews into the upgrade and i'm starting to hit all the numbers pretty spot on after altering a few beersmith calcs, thanks Greg :icon_cheers:

recirc/sparge ring Mk 2, flows like a bought one ;)

12.jpg

no channeling here

13.jpg

you have to love the 18 gal kettle with it's built in trub trap

14.jpg

cheers

Dave

Yard, great to see it's all working well, the large holes in the ring shouldn't cause any probs if you do go to HERMS. Interesting to see some floury muck on top of the grainbed, you will find cutting back on stirring will reduce this, it's the small particles and flour that are stirred into suspension, being lightest the flour settles last. If you can reduce this you might squeeze a few more points out of an already high efficiency :beer:

Cheers,

Screwy

PS: If the entry of a single pipe inlet is a distance above the grainbed a washout will occur, makes no diff and no effect on efficiency.

Latest posts

Back