2 Tier Brewstand With March Pump.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardy

BI3V
Reaction score
morning all,

anyone running a 2 tier with a pump ? (have searched march, pump, 2 tier, brewstand etc etc....)

i'm starting the brewery upgrade soon and i've got a few qs,

any problems with underletting from a gravity fed keg HLT to keg MLT ?

(MLT will have a FB made from the cut-out top of the keg)

any problems when pumping from MLT to the Kettle as far as crud build-up in the pump etc ?

(i've rolled up a ss ring from 10mm tube and i'm thinking of recirculating the wort through this before transfer to the kettle, sort of like a fly-sparge setup but not, if you know what i mean..)

pretty basic questions i know....

also, anyone experienced with Swagelok fittings can chuck their 2 bobs in you feel like it :icon_cheers:

cheers
Yard

Gravity fed HLT to MLT will be fine, thats what I do.
Pumping from MLT to kettle will also be fine (again, its what I do) and you wont have to worry about crap building up inb the pump.
Thats a pretty common system, and you should find no problems doing it that way.
All the best
Trent

morning all,

anyone running a 2 tier with a pump ? (have searched march, pump, 2 tier, brewstand etc etc....)

Yes

i'm starting the brewery upgrade soon and i've got a few qs,

any problems with underletting from a gravity fed keg HLT to keg MLT ?

None at all that I've come across

(MLT will have a FB made from the cut-out top of the keg)

any problems when pumping from MLT to the Kettle as far as crud build-up in the pump etc ?

No , I recirc for about 10 mins , runs pretty clear and then put home on kettle out to pump in

(i've rolled up a ss ring from 10mm tube and i'm thinking of recirculating the wort through this before transfer to the kettle, sort of like a fly-sparge setup but not, if you know what i mean..)

pretty basic questions i know....

also, anyone experienced with Swagelok fittings can chuck their 2 bobs in you feel like it :icon_cheers:

Bloody $$ but you may have access to them at the right price ,, Swageloc was developed for the necular industry so they are the best stuff on the market , would love too put them on my rig ,,, I used too have the full catalouge (just had a little look in cupboard , got the folder but not the contence,,bugger) cheers Ned

cheers
Yard

A1. Yes. And I am very happy with it.
A2. Nope. Not in the slightest.
A3. Nope. Never had an issue.

Interesting fittings. I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has used these and how they perform.

I started with the plastic cpc fittings and found the seals needed replaced too often (began to loosen a bit, would pinch during operation then die). Just switched to SS Camlock fittings as they appear to be more robust. About to do first brew with these this weekend. They were fairly tight when I brought them... a soak overnight in PBW and they are now ridiculously tight. I'm hoping some regular use will sort that.... but so far they are not off to a great start.

Yard,
I think the only issue I can forsee will be the 'possible' blockage in the pump from the first runnings. If you have that sorted, then it sounds great.
We use a 2 tier, but hand buck from MT to Kettle.
Beers!

Many moons ago every fitting in our lab was swagelok...we used it on gas lines, high pressure rigs (15-20 atmospheres) and also on high pressure rigs (350-400 degrees). Never had a swagelok fitting fail, even when they weren't fitted in the best way. Had plenty of NPT and other fittings fail :(

When I build my rig, I hope to use Swagelock throughout. Very easy to fit and even easier to use. No need for teflon tape ever again with swagelok :)

thanks for the replies guys, pictured is the ring that i knocked up for the recirc, haven't drilled or cut the slots yet, will i have any HSA issues with recircing through this ?

sw1.jpg

cheers
Yard

might want too concider a way to move the ring up or down depennding on grain bed height of the brew... I use a copper ring , much the same but its not fitted too the MLT, It just sits on the grain bed.. use the same ring too fly sparge ...

cheers

might want too concider a way to move the ring up or down depennding on grain bed height of the brew... I use a copper ring , much the same but its not fitted too the MLT, It just sits on the grain bed.. use the same ring too fly sparge ...

cheers

thanks FNQ, do you have any pics ?

cheers

Pics here in gallary

The way I use the ring is to start the pump and run the first runnings back over the mash straight out of the hose , just too clear whats under the false bottom , them slip hose on the ring and sit it on the grain bed let it recirc for awhile as I get sparge water up the last few degrees ... swap hose to kettle out fit hose from HLT too ring and beging the sparge ... might not be the "best " way but it works for me ...

cheers

thanks again for the tips FNQ :icon_cheers:

below is how i plan on setting up the upgrade, i'll mod the bracket to suit the HLT (as it's still setup for the rectangular tun), the HLT will be a little further to the left of where it sits to allow for the bends, pipe etc to underlet into the Tun.

The Kettle will be sitting about 100mm higher to allow for transfer into the cube as it's a pita atm and i'm fitting casters to the stand as well.

Q. any foreseeable problems with where i plan to put the pump ?

2tier.jpg

cheers

Yard

Q. any foreseeable problems with where i plan to put the pump ?

I think that location should be ok, as long as it is low enough to be gravity primed. Maybe also have a splash tray just in case HLT leaks onto it - which shouldnt be an issue...

thanks for the replies guys, pictured is the ring that i knocked up for the recirc, haven't drilled or cut the slots yet, will i have any HSA issues with recircing through this ?

sw1.jpg

cheers
Yard

Ohh Yardy, SS compression fittings few bobs worth there, I dare say, got a cheap source?

pumpy

Yardy, your pump will be fine there mate.

cheers

Browndog

This is a sparge ring that you can make up yourself or be bought from BB Adelaide if my memory serves me right.
Sits on top of the grain at any height.

View attachment 27581

Cheers.

Nope...not me I don't make anything like that. I reckon that's a G & G version. My solution for this is a return dish (pictured in mashtun). No HSA issues, no problems with blockages as there's nothng to get blocked, no drop at all for the wort from any distance as it sits in the top of the grain bed on an adjustable slide.
You'll have no issues with 2 tier and 1 pump, that's how all of my breweries have been made, and you'll have no issues with the pump even if you do get a bit of grain come through...it'll just chug it all right on through usually. Ball valves would be a more likely issue with grain, so best to use full bore.

Geez...everybody's upgrading....I'm downgrading....sort of...:D

Attachments

• P5300059.JPG
    P5300059.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 254
  • P5300076.JPG
    P5300076.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 368
Nope...not me I don't make anything like that. I reckon that's a G & G version. My solution for this is a return dish (pictured in mashtun). No HSA issues, no problems with blockages as there's nothng to get blocked, no drop at all for the wort from any distance as it sits in the top of the grain bed on an adjustable slide.
You'll have no issues with 2 tier and 1 pump, that's how all of my breweries have been made, and you'll have no issues with the pump even if you do get a bit of grain come through...it'll just chug it all right on through usually. Ball valves would be a more likely issue with grain, so best to use full bore.

Geez...everybody's upgrading....I'm downgrading....sort of... :D

Show off! :p

Chappo

Yardy, your pump will be fine there mate.

cheers

Browndog

Cheers mate, i figure as long as it's clear of the burner for the HLT and below the MLT outlet, I can't go wrong.

Geez...everybody's upgrading....I'm downgrading....sort of... :D

Cheers Dom, bloody nice pics there mate :icon_chickcheers:

Yard

Latest posts

Back