2 Tier Brewstand With March Pump.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To BB, I stand corrected. I pulled that one out of the deep recesses of my brain which has been degraded by many litres of HB but hell I am not complaining it has been fun. However a pic is worth a thousand words regardless of where it came from and I like your gear.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

If simplest is best, I'd avoid those sparge arms with little holes in them - including your ring, sorry.
I use a hose with a copper T on the end, and then an elbow on the end of each T - but not soldered in, just pushed on so that they can be rotated for the outlets to face upwards regardless of height. They are positioned to release wort just under the surface, causing little 'standing' waves - minimal aeration.
The holes approach is just something to block up or remove to upend and clean, as you can't flush grain through as per the setup above, and domonsura's.

If simplest is best, I'd avoid those sparge arms with little holes in them - including your ring, sorry.
I use a hose with a copper T on the end, and then an elbow on the end of each T - but not soldered in, just pushed on so that they can be rotated for the outlets to face upwards regardless of height. They are positioned to release wort just under the surface, causing little 'standing' waves - minimal aeration.
The holes approach is just something to block up or remove to upend and clean, as you can't flush grain through as per the setup above, and domonsura's.

gday Yorg,

how about a couple of pics.

Cheers

thanks for the replies guys, pictured is the ring that i knocked up for the recirc, haven't drilled or cut the slots yet, will i have any HSA issues with recircing through this ?

sw1.jpg

cheers
Yard

Yardy,
You may find you need to join the ring in a full circle, I found that you get an air lock in there and it only works from the first half or less of the holes.Use one of those stainless 'T's that you bought from the same shop I use. ;)

Batz

Yardy,
You may find you need to join the ring in a full circle, I found that you get an air lock in there and it only works from the first half or less of the holes.
Batz

Thanks for the tip mate, never thought of that :icon_cheers:

Cheers

just looking for a heads up on what hose to run from the pump for the recirc and to the kettle ?

from the HLT to the MLT i'll use the 1/2" SS pipe with the swageloks.

Cheers

Yard

silicone hose from our great mate Ross,,,
its $$ but the only stuff too use, Take your time and think it out befor you order ,,, I cut my 3m straight in to 3 bits ,, should of gone 2x1200 and 1x600 ... will change when I get around too moving pump and setting up my chiller better ...
cheers ,,,,

no problem with it collapsing ?

have seen a few pics of the re-inforced hosing.

Cheers

no it won't collapse .. it can even be boiled , and I think I read it could be autoclarved ... I've boiled mine after one had mould grow on the inside ,from forgetting to wash after a transfer. left it in ferment fridge for a couple of days ...

boiled it for 10mins and ran a pull though, though it ,droped back in boiling water and all was good ...

its the stuff...

cheers

+1 Have tried a number of designs, this works and is simple, for recirc and fly sparge, double batches it is beneath the mash level and single batches about 40mm above mash level, doesent matter a feck.

MLT_Wort_Return2_Small.jpgMLT_Wort_Return3_Small.jpg

Taken 5 min ago, brewday today Double Batch ESB
MLT_Wort_Return4_Small.jpg

looks good screwtop ... have a good day brewing mate..

cheers

thanks fellas for the replies, just got home to find the new march pump waiting for me (cheers Rossco :icon_cheers: )

need to pick a lot of brains now about the pump...

cheers

evening all,

should these fittings be ok for a march pump ? hoping to run copper pipe to the kettle.

cheers

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

Hi Yardy,
It may work but the March pump is not the correct mating surface for those fittings. The plastic olive 'should' be gently squeezed into a corresponding tapered socket that the collar screws onto. This will help to then seal it against the copper pipe. You can get these fittings that have a 1/2" BSP female end that will mate direcly onto the pump.
I've attached a piccy which helps to put my garbles into something more understandable.
Cheers
Doug
Picture_1.png

evening all,

should these fittings be ok for a march pump ? hoping to run copper pipe to the kettle.

cheers

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

Hell no mate don't do that !
I can help you out here,pm me your phone number....for another time
You haven't screwed them on have you?

Batz

Batz

Would appreciate the same info Batz, been using nylon olives on my pump for a couple of years, didn't know there was another fitting.

friggin fitters :lol:

Would appreciate the same info Batz, been using nylon olives on my pump for a couple of years, didn't know there was another fitting.

If it's working don't let the fitters near it Screwy.

Batz

If it's working don't let the fitters near it Screwy.

Batz

Yeah, been working fine, now this has been bought up it'll fecking break, ya know that.

Hey Yard, a tip - depending on how you want to mount the pump, the head can be rotated so the pump body can be mounted with the bush oil holes at the top for lubricating.

Screwy

Hey Yard, a tip - depending on how you want to mount the pump, the head can be rotated so the pump body can be mounted with the bush oil holes at the top for lubricating.

Screwy

Good tip Screwy ,, was reading down thinking about my reply , and there it was,, lol...

Yardy ,, I'm sure that your Swagelok shop ;) will have the fitting you need and can run your SS pipe instead of the copper..

Cheers

Hi Yardy,
It may work but the March pump is not the correct mating surface for those fittings. The plastic olive 'should' be gently squeezed into a corresponding tapered socket that the collar screws onto. This will help to then seal it against the copper pipe. You can get these fittings that have a 1/2" BSP female end that will mate direcly onto the pump.
I've attached a piccy which helps to put my garbles into something more understandable.
Cheers
Doug

Gday Doug,

thanks for the detailed reply mate :icon_cheers:

Batz

Gday mate,

nah i haven't screwed them on, I was just having a few in the shed and playing around with ideas for the upgrade.
I'll get onto that PM ASAP BTW FYI :icon_cheers:

Yeah, been working fine, now this has been bought up it'll fecking break, ya know that.

Screwy

Gday Screwy,
thanks for the heads up :icon_cheers:
you wouldn't believe it, whilst fecking around in the shed yesterday I found that bloody sight glass that you sent me :icon_chickcheers:

cheers fellas

Yard

Latest posts

Back