2 Tier Brewstand With March Pump.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill have to get me one of those sparge rings. Looks the goods Yardy, nice one.

'
plenty of copper here mate :)

Yard, great to see it's all working well, the large holes in the ring shouldn't cause any probs if you do go to HERMS. Interesting to see some floury muck on top of the grainbed, you will find cutting back on stirring will reduce this, it's the small particles and flour that are stirred into suspension, being lightest the flour settles last. If you can reduce this you might squeeze a few more points out of an already high efficiency :beer:

Cheers,

Screwy

PS: If the entry of a single pipe inlet is a distance above the grainbed a washout will occur, makes no diff and no effect on efficiency.

Never say never but right now i couldn't see any reason to build a herms, if consistency doesn't come then i'd consider it i suppose but not atm, i heeded your advice and didn't stir Screwy so the muck might be from the fine crush, like I said, I wanted to test the FB and lautering so I ran it through the mill twice ( 40% wheat no problem ), the only stirring was at dough in and about 20 to 30 seconds whilst underletting the sparge water.
Not too sure how you couldn't have the return a decent distance above the grainbed, it would make double batches a pita if mine were any lower, i agree a single return doesn't effect efficiency as greg will also agree from last weeks 84% but it does effect clarity as todays brew has shown, i know it's the clarity out of the kettle that we're concerned with but today i had both, clarity in and out.

cheers

Dave

You've got a damn fine looking ring Yardy :eek:

QldKev

thanks Kev, should have some ontap for a brewday soon :)

you going to start building soon ? there were 2 keg shaped vessels in the local trader the other day, sing out if you need a hand with the build :icon_cheers:

cheers

Dave

'

Never say never but right now i couldn't see any reason to build a herms, if consistency doesn't come then i'd consider it i suppose but not atm, i heeded your advice and didn't stir Screwy so the muck might be from the fine crush, like I said, I wanted to test the FB and lautering so I ran it through the mill twice ( 40% wheat no problem ), the only stirring was at dough in and about 20 to 30 seconds whilst underletting the sparge water.
Not too sure how you couldn't have the return a decent distance above the grainbed, it would make double batches a pita if mine were any lower, i agree a single return doesn't effect efficiency as greg will also agree from last weeks 84% but it does effect clarity as todays brew has shown, i know it's the clarity out of the kettle that we're concerned with but today i had both, clarity in and out.

cheers

Dave

So Yardy are you just using the pump to recirculate the mash, then switching to HLT to bring mash out temp up??

Brad

'
plenty of copper here mate :)

cheers

Dave

All good mate, should have clarified re the return height, as always there are little differences in the way brewers do things.
MLT_Wort_Return_Short_Small.jpgMLT_Wort_Return1_Small.jpgMLT_Wort_Return3_Small.jpg

I use different types of return manifold, for single batches the longer one with a flap for dispersing the wort, for double batches the T type. Originally the T had sealed ends until it blocked up (only small holes drilled in it) from bits when recirculating.

For good clarity use a MO step around 77 for 10 min, the wort will run clear as.

Cheers,

Screwy

So Yardy are you just using the pump to recirculate the mash, then switching to HLT to bring mash out temp up??

Brad

Yeah Brad, underlet gravity feed from HLT to MLT, mash out is the same, recirc 10 min at 80ish and pump to kettle, gravity feed batch sparge and another recirc then pump again to kettle and boil, pretty simple, both brews have been in the 80's efficiency, the tun is losing 1 degree over the 60 min mash with just camp mat and 100mph tape as insulation, temperature drop from strike water in HLT to MLT after dough in is 5 degrees, the recirculation temp on the sparge worked out well today going in at 86 degrees and staying a constant 79 for the recirc before kettle transfer.

hope that makes sense

cheers

Dave

Yeah Brad, underlet gravity feed from HLT to MLT, mash out is the same, recirc 10 min at 80ish and pump to kettle, gravity feed batch sparge and another recirc then pump again to kettle and boil, pretty simple, both brews have been in the 80's efficiency, the tun is losing 1 degree over the 60 min mash with just camp mat and 100mph tape as insulation, temperature drop from strike water in HLT to MLT after dough in is 5 degrees, the recirculation temp on the sparge worked out well today going in at 86 degrees and staying a constant 79 for the recirc before kettle transfer.

hope that makes sense

cheers

Dave
Yep makes total sense and yet another good idea. I'm tossing up on going hermes or not. Your steup looks like a good inbetween and might head that way once I get the pump. Glad I havent made the rig yet. I would had to of update/rebuild it three times in the last week.

Brad

Yep makes total sense and yet another good idea. I'm tossing up on going hermes or not. Your steup looks like a good inbetween and might head that way once I get the pump. Glad I havent made the rig yet. I would had to of update/rebuild it three times in the last week.

Brad

Thanks, bloody unreal how simple a brewday is now just with the additions of underletting and the pump, i thought it would be unavoidable but i haven't had to disassemble the system to clean it, whilst the boil is on i just scoop the grain from the tun and with the dump valve under the tun (see pic) it's just a hose out into a bucket under the tun, boil a small amount in the HLT and pump through, when it cools just add some starsan and pump that through the system.
looking forward to seeing what system you go with

2.jpg

cheers

Dave

Yardy, what did you end up using for your false bottom?

Looking good, by the way, very jealous

Paul

Yardy, what did you end up using for your false bottom?

Looking good, by the way, very jealous

Paul

Gday Paul,

tun8.jpg

i didn't even try the ss mesh one, this one seems to be pretty good so far, i had a small stuck sparge problem on the first brew but i think it was due more to excess flow rather than the FB, a small underlet of about 500ml and it cleared, i ran a 40% wheat through it the other day with no flow probs :)

you're welcome to the mesh one i made if you're stuck for a FB

cheers

Dave

I have a craftbrewer false bottom at the moment, but i am starting to build my herms, and I am thinking of changing my mlt to one similar to yours with the outlet in the bottom instead of the side

Paul

I have a craftbrewer false bottom at the moment, but i am starting to build my herms, and I am thinking of changing my mlt to one similar to yours with the outlet in the bottom instead of the side

Paul

my advice if you do go with the outlet in the base of the tun is to also install a dump valve (see above), even though the swageloks are piss easy to disassemble and the whole show comes apart in minutes I just scoop the bulk of the spent grain into a 20lt bucket and rinse the rest out the valve.

Dave

my advice if you do go with the outlet in the base of the tun is to also install a dump valve (see above), even though the swageloks are piss easy to disassemble and the whole show comes apart in minutes I just scoop the bulk of the spent grain into a 20lt bucket and rinse the rest out the valve.

Dave

I love your dump valve and am planning some thing similar. Although I am planning on silicone hose, instead of that Flash as a rat stainless and swagelocks you got

edit:

if you are running off fron the bottom of the MLT, where does the elbow and stainless fitting attach?

Paul

pages 6 & 7 mate, shows the plumbing and the screw in manifold made from the brass bung

Dave

Rito,

you have it plumbed to a tap in the side and can also draw from the bottom of the tun?

Saw the brass bung too, you come up with some really good shite, for a boily :huh:

your false bottom is fkn amazing, ingenuity, cheap, working. I love it

Paul

pw1.jpg

tun5.jpg

Rito,

you have it plumbed to a tap in the side and can also draw from the bottom of the tun?

Saw the brass bung too, you come up with some really good shite, for a boily :huh:

your false bottom is fkn amazing, ingenuity, cheap, working. I love it

Paul

no tap in the side mate, the only tap from the Tun is the one at the pump, the plumbing runs directly from the HLT to the FB which underlets.

come down for a beer and have a look is the easiest way ;)

Dave

Ok, ok. Underleting pipe in the side then :rolleyes:

told you i can be a bit slow

i got sick of dragging the rig around the shed so i pulled my finger out, welded some casters on and made a splash guard for the pump out of some old shit i found at work

old shit
100_2885.jpg

welding light guage with rods... fun
100_2890.jpg

a good excuse for a pint
100_2896.jpg

cheers

Dave

i got sick of dragging the rig around the shed so i pulled my finger out, welded some casters on and made a splash guard for the pump out of some old shit i found at work

old shit
100_2885.jpg

welding light guage with rods... fun
100_2890.jpg

a good excuse for a pint
100_2896.jpg

cheers

Dave

Bloody hell yardy! Stockpile all your unwanted "Old Shit" from work for a while & I'll be up there with a trailer ASAP. :lol:
You & the other person do ok don't you?

TP

Bloody hell yardy! Stockpile all your unwanted "Old Shit" from work for a while & I'll be up there with a trailer ASAP. :lol:
You & the other person do ok don't you?

TP

bring the 6 X 4 TP, plenty of old shit here :icon_cheers:

I suspect the other person does fairly well in the gathering game..

cheers

Dave

Back