2 Tier Brewstand With March Pump.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sw1.jpg

got a few days off so I'm having a go at welding some of these compression fittings in to the HLT & Tun.
1 X 90* elbow out of the HLT, 1 X 90* into the Tun for the underletting of the mash and 1 X 90* out for the outlet to the pump, no TIG i'm afraid so it's 309 electrodes all the way, it'll either fix it or feck it :)

cheers
Yard

Yardy; I have a mig with 0.9 316 wire if that will help. Cheers

gday greg,

appreciate that mate, I'll see how this goes with the stick, if it's not working out I'll definitely take you up on the offer.
is it 10 or 15 amp plug greg ?

what i'm planning, is drilling a 1/2" hole in some ss flat bar, weld the comp fitting to that and then plug the original hole that was drilled to suit the allthread, should work i think.

cheers
Yard

Hey Yard,

You could bring the stuff over here and use my mig if you want....

Cheers,
Bud

Yardy: its a 15 amp job, mate you must be a fair sort of a welder to have a go with sticks. Hate to see you waste fittings like that. I did post you my phone number once, do you still have it. Cheers. gregs

Hey Yard,

You could bring the stuff over here and use my mig if you want....

Cheers,
Bud

appreciate that Mark, we'll see how it goes mate :)

Yardy: its a 15 amp job, mate you must be a fair sort of a welder to have a go with sticks. Hate to see you waste fittings like that. I did post you my phone number once, do you still have it. Cheers. gregs

do a little pressure work here and there mate ;)

not sure if i've still got it mate, my inbox was chox and i deleted a heap of stuff, i'll pm you with mine if you like.

cheers
Yard

gday all, especially keg shaped mash tun owners,

before i fit a MM thermo to my Tun I was wondering what opinions would be on doing away with the clutter of the probe into the Tun and just using a hand held digi thermometer for the mash, i think it was budwiser who suggested this...

cheers
Yard

afterthought..
maybe i could fit the MM thermo to a piece of ss sheet and sit it on top of the mash...

gday all, especially keg shaped mash tun owners,

before i fit a MM thermo to my Tun I was wondering what opinions would be on doing away with the clutter of the probe into the Tun and just using a hand held digi thermometer for the mash, i think it was budwiser who suggested this...

cheers
Yard

afterthought..
maybe i could fit the MM thermo to a piece of ss sheet and sit it on top of the mash...

You're not going down the Herms route are you Yardy????

Yardy, you could route your probe down though the top of your mash tun lid like I did shown here

DSC00493.JPG

The probe wire runs though the thin s/s tube and is height adjustable depending on the grist. You can also see a fibreglass/foam float that helps negate the dead space in the tun.

cheers

Browndog

Yardy,

I have a 1/2 inch socket cut in half and welded to the mash tun. I drilled a 8 mm or so hole in the centre of it.
I drilled a small hole in a silicone plug which sits in the socket. There is a brass screw plug fitting with a hole in it on that so when tightened it squeezes the silicone if you get the picture.
I use a temp probe from Ikea that pushes through the silicone. I just put it in a few mm until I am close to temp, then push it in further. End up near centre of the tun. This way you don't hit it while stirring.
Once mash out temp is achieved I just pull the probe out. No need to turn the brass plug as the silicone reseals itself with only a drop or two escaping.
Then you have a tun with nothing sticking out while you dump it and wash it out.

DSCF0077.JPG
DSCF0081.JPG
DSCF0084.JPG

Welcome to stop by if you want a look.

Cheers,
Mark

Yardy, you could route your probe down though the top of your mash tun lid like I did shown here

The probe wire runs though the thin s/s tube and is height adjustable depending on the grist. You can also see a fibreglass/foam float that helps negate the dead space in the tun.

cheers

Browndog

Yardy,

I have a 1/2 inch socket cut in half and welded to the mash tun. I drilled a 8 mm or so hole in the centre of it.
I drilled a small hole in a silicone plug which sits in the socket. There is a brass screw plug fitting with a hole in it on that so when tightened it squeezes the silicone if you get the picture.
I use a temp probe from Ikea that pushes through the silicone. I just put it in a few mm until I am close to temp, then push it in further. End up near centre of the tun. This way you don't hit it while stirring.
Once mash out temp is achieved I just pull the probe out. No need to turn the brass plug as the silicone reseals itself with only a drop or two escaping.
Then you have a tun with nothing sticking out while you dump it and wash it out.

Welcome to stop by if you want a look.

Cheers,
Mark

gday fellas, thanks for the replies, wasn't ignoring you, away for bloody work again :wacko:

a couple of top ideas there, not sure what option i'll go yet but i'm sure as shit not having the probe in there because i want to fab up a mechanised stirrer.

cheers
Yard

gday brewers,
dragged myself off the couch and did a bit to the brewery, ran the pipe from from HLT to the Tun, it probably could've run a little closer to the frame but in the absence of a decent pipe bender that's how it ended up. (plenty of swagelok ;) )

pw1.jpg

pw2.jpg

pw3.jpg

pw4.jpg

cut outs for the HLT

will fit the tap to the underneath of the Tun tomorrow, just need to go to town and find a fitting that will marry a swagelok fitting to the march pump, then it's just a matter of running two more pipes for the recirc through the tun and transfer to the kettle, fitting some casters to the feet and relocating the burner holder underneath the HLT.

cheers
Dave

gday brewers,
dragged myself off the couch and did a bit to the brewery, ran the pipe from from HLT to the Tun, it probably could've run a little closer to the frame but in the absence of a decent pipe bender that's how it ended up. (plenty of swagelok ;) )

pw1.jpg

pw2.jpg

pw3.jpg

pw4.jpg

cut outs for the HLT

will fit the tap to the underneath of the Tun tomorrow, just need to go to town and find a fitting that will marry a swagelok fitting to the march pump, then it's just a matter of running two more pipes for the recirc through the tun and transfer to the kettle, fitting some casters to the feet and relocating the burner holder underneath the HLT.

cheers
Dave

Looking good Yardy, glasd to see we work at the same speed

got an 82ltr boiler same as yours, still waiting for assignment, no pump either yet ( although i do own one ). no use rushing

Paul

Looking good Yardy, glasd to see we work at the same speed

got an 82ltr boiler same as yours, still waiting for assignment, no pump either yet ( although i do own one ). no use rushing

Paul

thanks mate, yeah nothing happens at great speed around here :D

after your efficiency woes with the Tun, I'm pretty sure I know where the tap in the Tun is going.

Dave

Is that a 14-pound mash paddle in the foreground near the pump? ;)

Very nice Yardy, should be a good rig once its finished hey... ;)

I plan on being able to work on a stand once I start this job and have some time off... :D

:icon_cheers: CB

Is that a 14-pound mash paddle in the foreground near the pump?

Very nice Yardy, should be a good rig once its finished hey...

I plan on being able to work on a stand once I start this job and have some time off...

cheers: CB

SMOI, that's my watchmakers hammer for delicate work :p

CB, thanks mate, once you get out on site make sure you keep the Boilermakers well fed and they might fab you up some stuff, watch the Fitters though, they'll be rifling your undies drawer :lol:

made some progress on the Tun and the False Bottom, used the cut out from the 18 gal keg for the FB, I think it will be OK but in case I have lautering issues I made another FB from stainless mesh and some other shit I had.

tun1.jpg

tun4.jpg

cut out lid from the 18 gallon

tun8.jpg

welded a swagelok nut in the FB so I could underlet

tun5.jpg

tun7.jpg

cheers
Dave

Looks the goods mate, its amazing how much ya can get done with some time hey... :rolleyes:

I will make sure we work together out there, I can prob give them more than they could ever imagine, Im not any old Chef mate and when I get told I can cook whatever I want, well.... :icon_drool2: It'll be up to them..

:icon_cheers: CB

p.s. Ill have to visit when our moons align....

cheers cb,

yeah, will catch up for a beer one of these days, if i get this finished we'll make it a brewday :icon_cheers:

tun3.jpg

Dave

Back