Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_4663.jpg

The latest Surprise! Belgian. A red ale. Meant to be WLP-022. Turned out to be a Belgian infection instead. Probably WLP-530, but who knows?!
Luckily, it's pretty tasty already, 1 week into the bottle. [emoji6]

the white lager
pilsner, munich, wheat, hersbrucker and m84.
crystal clear as i've been using the clear beer draught system which pulls beer from the top of the keg.
sexysexyfunmouthtime
whitelager.jpg

^ ^ is this the beer you used the M84 yeast cake?

did it turn out like you planned?

^ ^ is this the beer you used the M84 yeast cake?

did it turn out like you planned?

no mate, this was the initial pitch of it. the second one is carbonating now and will be ready in a few weeks.

Didn't really know where to post this (move if needed) but picked up a stein at Mt Tamborine earlier today. It's currently got mountain goat hightail ale in it but when I get some home brew back on tap again it'll be put to use with that. Have to do up a German lager or something.

IMG_20170923_160531.jpg
IMG_20170923_155311.jpg
IMG_20170923_155228.jpg

Properly carbonated English Brown (first cube of this batch and my case swap entry I overcarbonated), actually very pleasant. Is my current 'go to' tap. Enjoying whilst kegging a German Pils.

IMG_1506233589.183883.jpg

boddingtons 55 IP.jpg

Boddingtons 1955 IP from the brewing logs (known internally as "India Pale").
Went a bit overboard cooking the Invert No. 2. - it should be more lager coloured.

4.3% ABV, 37 IBU - this is the Boddies I remember from my 20s before Whitbread bought it out and turned it into piss.
Glorious golden beer from a glorious era of UK bitters.

^damn that's a nice looking beer

Tapped the 1 hour micro biab this arvo (golden promise and motueka). 1 week in the keg.

I think I need some of that biofine... still, not a bad drop.

wp_ss_20170924_0001.png

Actually I also cube hopped it, but if doing a chill coil method etc I'd put it in at 5 mins. Should have put that in the recipe print out.
Going to do this one on the weekend or next week - what temp do you fill your cubes at/how long after boil/whirlpool?

Im still trying to figure it out and have been getting a lot of bitterness, so might be filling it too early

I tend to fill at 85-90C, the transfer itself I reckon knocks 5C or so off the wort. So it's a combination of being above 80C where temperature pasteurisation will still occur but also any Cube hops won't isomerise much to maximise the flavour/aroma and limit the bitterness.

My whirlpool step is pretty much within 20mins of flameout and then another 10-20mins for it to settle and temp to drop to where I like it for cubing. I think just about everyone has their own method between flameout and putting the Cube lid on for no chill, so go more on your results than what people say is my advice [emoji16]

Cheers, will give that a go. I've been doing whirlpool pretty much straight away and waiting 5-10 min before cubing, so guessing I'm just doing it much too fast. Beers have been quite bitter, but I've enjoyed them anyway!

Also make sure your lid is on after flameout (and whirlpool if you stir to whirlpool), this GREATLY reduces convection currents in the wort which stir up all your hard work to make a trub cone. Happy brewin [emoji106]

2017-09-29 17.33.57.jpg
Start of an extra long weekend, enjoying my Belgian Dubbel on the back verandah.

~8.5% but surprisingly easy to drink, I'm very happy with how it turned out. Best part, I got about 60 bottles from the batch so I'll get to enjoy it for a while to come.

Latest posts

Back