Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uncarbed funky cider for white labs yesst as I haven't gotten to carbing it.

Tastes dry as expected, apple and very slight funky/Brett flavour to back of it. Noise wise you can smell the Brett a bit more but still pretty low key. No sour component to it.

Overall its nice cider. I think I made just short of 8% and there not a hint of alcohol or warmth that I can pick up. Retains a fair bit of apple flavour which is nice. Maybe the low fermentation rate lead to it retaining for apple smell?
90e4fd14c051ed01b471509b4ea244d9.jpg

001.JPG

My Bombay IPA only hops added to the kettle were the bittering hops, remaining hops I tried a different technique using the no chill. Kept some wort back in a saucepan, next day boiled the wort in the saucepan at flame out added the aroma / taste for about 3 minutes and tipped into fermenter with the rest of the now cooled wort. No harsh bitterness, so a success. Have just made another batch along with a Kiwi IPA and an English IPA using the same method.

Hey mate,

This was my recipe I used. It's my recipe but named after my Papa who loved his stouts.

4.5kg Maris Otter
1kg Brown Malt
0.5kg Flaked Barley
0.5kg Rolled Oats
0.35kg Roasted Barley
0.15kg Choc Malt
0.10kg Carafa Spec III
30g Warrior at 60min
White labs - Melbourne Ale - WLP059
Thanks, I like it and as it turns out, I have a vial of the Melbourne ale yeast.
My dad is Papa,and his dad was too.
Not sure about their thoughts on Stout, but I love a good stout!

Stout extra foreign *******.
Pros great carbonation, excellent flavour profile, dry, lace follows meniscus all the way down, completed all aspects I set out to achieve on this one. Nose is very clean, bitterness is just right I think.
Cons as you see little head, carbonation covers poor head formation. Mouthfeel maybe a little too thin for style, need a comparison beer for reference.
Tips maybe some more dextrine for head retention and a touch more carbonation to prop it up. Lager yeast doesn't add anything but lets the malt and sparge process show through, nowhere really to hide from a yeast perspective, incredibly dry on the pallet, I think Nate's extra spech cubes dried it up nicely. I think I nailed what I set out to achieve, looking forward to a second opinion in a week's time.

This will go well in spring I tell you.
Sorry about the weird photo.
Phone

Attachments

• IMG_20170906_200227843~2.jpg
    IMG_20170906_200227843~2.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Four Hoops Pale Ale - a tribute to Four Pines Pale Ale, my go to beer when I'm in Sydney or Newcastle and can find it on tap.
Side by side: Mine on the left.
4 pines trib.jpg

Checking their website, I used all their ingredients (except one, see below) that they list but had a stab at the colour "deep ruby amber colour". Well dunno about that.
Anyway that aside:
I can honestly say that this is the first commercial beer that I've absolutely nailed.

With eyes closed, same hops, almost identical long finish. The malt is a wee bit different, their version actually has just the teeniest hint of diacetyl and its slightly slicker mouthfeel. I did use Vienna as it's in the same family but now have Munich 1 and 2 so that might make a difference next time.

They mention "crystals" so based on the "ruby" description I used Wey Caraaroma and comparing, I'd bet they use something similar but not Wey, maybe a Belgian or a UK dark crystal?

Apart from that well... I don't think I'll be spending six bux on another bottle when I can rustle up my own.
I put my success down to three recent new techniques: Oxygen. Complete flush of keg with CO2. Biofine which gives fresh crystal clear beer almost instantly (I kegged this less than 48hr ago.)

4 Hoops Pale Ale
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 22.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.900
Total Hops (g): 68.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 8.9 (EBC): 17.5
Bitterness (IBU): 36.0 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Base Barrett Burston Pilsener (71.43%)
0.900 kg Weyermann Vienna (18.37%)
0.300 kg Wheat Malt (6.12%)
0.200 kg Caraaroma (4.08%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
15.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
20.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ CUBE HOP (0.9 g/L)
18.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ DRY HOP on pitching(0.8 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
lactic acid / lactate in mash.
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with WLP090 - San Diego Super Yeast

Last edited:
Nice beer that one, we get it in at work every now and then for Friday drinks. I'll have to give it a shot!

At what point did you put the Citra in?

Last edited:
I have one on regular rotation.

Easy drinking and makes a nice change from an in your face IPA.

Nice beer that one, we get it in at work every now and then for Friday drinks. I'll have to give it a shot!

At what point did you put the Citra in?
Actually I also cube hopped it, but if doing a chill coil method etc I'd put it in at 5 mins. Should have put that in the recipe print out.

Cream ales, just blew my keg last night and looking forward to the next one to put on rotation. Underrated style in my opinion.
If you think about it, beers like 150 lashes served over the bar are pretty much like cream ales. Quaffable.

Harvest Session Ale
60% Pearl
30% Munich
10% Rye
Homegrown Chinook in Whirlpool - unknown IBU
Wyeast Forbidden Fruit
1038 down to 1008.

- Kegged on Sunday
- 300kpa for 24 hours
- family down from Brisbane for the week, kegs almost gone
- Epic amount of sulphur during ferment, gone after a day rest at 22C

She's dry, malty, funky and flavoursome.

*A note on homegrown Chinook. I think they're around half the IBU I predicted (which was 10%), smooth in flavour and light in aroma. So far used them in this and an amber ale, I think they're very versatile and would suit most styles. Planning some Belgians, Lagers and approachable pales, only a kilo left while the PoR have popped their heads up already and chinook set to break records this season.

The beauty of the Cream Ale for me lies in how simple they are.

82% BB Ale
16% Flaked Corn
2% Acidulated Malt

Bittered to 20 IBU with Northern Brewer at 60 & 20 minutes and I use either US05 or Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast.

2 year old barleywine/dark strong ale - 10% abv

not my choice of recipe but i'll drink it :p

5L batch
dark DME
target to 60 ibu
us-05
beer.jpg

Last edited:
Helles has finally come good.
Not sure what I did but the head isnt the best after 10 minutes.

Attachments

• 1504862370318.jpg
    1504862370318.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 98
Condensation Mayhem Amber Ale

Pulled through the hand pump for the footy tonight while family is over. Complete winner all around. Homegrown chinook working its magic in 3 tap beers currently.

TF MO 73.5%
Caramunich III 10%
Munich 10%
Rye 5%
Roast Barley 1.5%
Step mash 52/62/67/72/78 for 10/10/50/10/10 '
OG1045

IMG_2645.JPG

Case swap "dogs breakfast" brew.

Comes across as an ord bitter with a melbourne bitter finish. Go figure.

Good lacing if not head retention.

180856befb02069c2ec7757089fedb09.jpg
First beer all week. Sucks, but the kilos are coming off.

Anyway, the vic swap dog's breakfast brew has been in the keg for about a month. Much clearer and lost the melb bitter twang.

Much more like a UK bitter now, slight hint of fruity hop flavour.

Well done fellas.

be8bfcb92c72745c04700240dc52cc77.jpg

First beer all week. Sucks, but the kilos are coming off.

Anyway, the vic swap dog's breakfast brew has been in the keg for about a month. Much clearer and lost the melb bitter twang.

Much more like a UK bitter now, slight hint of fruity hop flavour.

Well done fellas.

be8bfcb92c72745c04700240dc52cc77.jpg
I wasn't as patient I gelled at cold crash and dry hoped the hell out of it, should be good to go tomorrow night, if your finding it a little flat on the flavour keg hop it for a few days, late hops in the kettle were, cascade, simcoe, mosaic, hall mitt.

Latest posts

Back