Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I diluted my 16L down to 19L, MJ. Half a cake of a Scottish ale yeast for a quick ferment at 16.5. Been kegged almost a month now, just haven't really got into it.

The quick review above, while accurate, mat not give it the due consideration it deserves. So here's more for you (I've had to pour an extra couple of glasses now, but since I've been at the arcade games with the young ones for a party, I bloody deserve it now).

There's not much aroma-wise, slight caramel is about all. Flavour goes a touch fruity but also something "catty" (melb bitter reference). It's not light, in fact quite a decent malty mouthfeel, but does finish very dry. I suspect the IBU's are fairly high, because it only finished at 1.011 (diluted OG assuming in the 50's but couldn't be arsed checking).

I was getting some weird vegetal flavours initially, which is why I let I sit out for a month. Coming good now though.

What yeast did you mean MJ? WLP020 doesn't come up with anything. WLP002? If so may finish a touch high for this. WLP053 sounds the tits tho.

IMG_2465.JPG
IMG_2466.JPG
I've got my 'Basic Stout' recipe batches down pat now. This pic is after 2 weeks in the bottle, it's very drinkable, but ideal at one month and over.
On another note, I'm coming up to one year all-grain brewing with the trusty Crown Urn. I'd like to put out a big thanks to all on the site. In the last year I've had a huge learning curve with the info and advice on here, and that's aside from all the crack I've talked in between.
Cheers guys, here's to another year of learning, refining, and great beer!

Stuck doing uni work all day despite the public holiday but better reward myself with a lunch beer.

Mix kegged of APA (1/3) and Stout (2/3) as had a bit of both left over after kegging.

Pretty tasty mix. Mixing kegs can be fun [emoji16]

f74f90c528705865eaa777b571cf6402.jpg

60ltrs finished, force carbed yesterday so pretty dirty and only 3 weeks old... prolly in my top 5 beers ever made (by me) as long as the hop presence stays... there's a bit of Citra in there!

4.6%

7 kg - German - Pilsner (57.1%)
0.5 kg - German - CaraMunich I (4.1%)
3.25 kg - German - Wheat Malt (26.5%)
0.5 kg - German - Acidulated Malt (4.1%)
1 kg - Rolled Oats (8.2%)
100gms Gladfield Shepherds Delight (for a bit more orange)

10 g - columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 7.34
50 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.4, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 99 °C, IBU: 25.46
50 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.3, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 99 °C, IBU: 19.09
50 g - mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.6, Use: Hopback for 20 min at 70 °C, IBU: 4.02
50 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.5, Use: Hopback for 20 min at 70 °C, IBU: 5.11

280g Citra, dry-hop 5 days at 20C

Last edited:
Now that does look like a refreshing drop. Are those glasses good to drink from? and do they give any advantage over the norm?

There's nothing wrong with recycling jam jars.

To preserve hop presence after kegging, fill keg with water (with a bit of Starsan in it).
Serve the whole keg out of tap.

You then have a keg of CO2

Just crack the lid of the keg enough to get your transfer hose past the lip and start tranferring immediately.
Any little bit of oxygen that sneaked in is blown back out as the beer level rises.

Close off immediately and CO2 flush the headspace immediately. No need to do tricky transfers under pressure through beer posts etc unless you are a nazi. Works great.

Better yet, do the Starsan as mentioned, and pressure transfer straight from the pressurised fermenter ;) Its made an incalculable difference to my IPA's and DIPA's. Fully recommend it, and as you can see, it doesn't have to be expensive to get into.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1503222043.578469.jpg

Now that does look like a refreshing drop. Are those glasses good to drink from? and do they give any advantage over the norm?

more of a novelty for me Grott, it doesn't hold the head as well as an IPA glass would, but I busted mine so this one gets the gong every now and then

APA 5%
Maris Otter
Munich 11
Caramunich 11
Pale wheat
Carapils

Magnum
Centennial
Cascade

Shouldn't be drinking as fishing becons
Best days are in a few days so having a few now
Loving my beers at the moment have some ideas to better them

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1503670778.365849.jpg

image.jpg

Got stuck into these yesterday
Mentioned by Bribie G somewhere
2x coopers larger
2nd gen S04 and O2
Dry hopped Cluster flowers 30g
Very moorish.

Is that shovel or probably fork placed there to try and fool us into thinking you have been working? More likely to hold you up after your session with the lager. Looks a nice drop.

d567e6a0416ee7a565510cf92df1ac60.jpg
1c57513a11448ddec3f73bff36436e85.jpg

Remember this one Droid?
Just cracked it tonight after over 2 years in waiting!
So nice mate! Savored every drop. Chocolate and raisins and everything I hoped for and more. Cheers mate

It was from the winter swap at Martin's. Thought it was Johnny's?

Latest posts

Back