Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raspberry Basil Porter aged on Palo Santo wood.

Recipe here: https://www.homebrewersassociation....spberry-basil-porter-aged-on-palo-santo-wood/

Used WY1450 Dennys favourite.

IMG_0243.JPG

Wow. Weird beer is an understatement! Firstly, probably my most expensive brew. The ingredients cost around $100. But, the wood sticks are reusable and I only used 750mL of 2.5L of raspberry syrup.

When it finished fermenting after 2 weeks the taste out of the hydrometer tube was sensational. Like a cherry ripe. Not tart at all like the raspberry beers Ive brewed in the past with frozen berries. Just raspberry aroma and aftertaste.

Then I racked it onto a leaves of a bunch of Thai basil leaves soaked in a cup of vodka and 200g of Palo Santo wood sticks (basically incense sticks from the Peruvian Amazon).

Tried it after a week and it was still delicious, taking on herbatious perfumy notes.

Tried it after two weeks and whoah! The flavour is now full-on. Overpowering almost. I had to keg it today, I would hate to think what it would taste like after three weeks as the original recipe calls for.

Now that its cold and carbed, it's drinkable. But still very full on, and just weird. The cherry ripe is still there, but now so is a hint of aniseed, maybe mint and coconut, or other flavours that are completely new to me. None of us here can put our fingers on it.

I overshot my OG to 1.082 so at 8.5%ABV its not something that I'm going to want pints of anyway. A wine glass or two full is more than enough. I hope it mellows out a bit with age, because I've got 19L of it to get through. I must say, sipping it now it is kinda growing on me.

Would I brew it again? Possibly. I think I would either use half of the amount of basil and wood, or only sit it on it for a week, or both.

Last edited:
gotta say, props to you for reading the name of that beer and thinking "yeah **** it why not"

it sounds really interesting..

I believe a naked woman might look even better in that glass, especially if she could do the backstroke...I mean, really, wouldn't anyone think so? We can sub "fairy" for "woman" if that helps...
I once had Chappo in my glass, but that was a long time ago.

chappo in my glass.jpg

^ is the biofine bulk buy going ahead?
I didn't actually suggest one, I'm not sure where you could get it in bulk. However I'm tempted to get a litre bottle from Williamswarn, it works out at about half the price of the smaller bottles from the various HB suppliers.

I didn't actually suggest one, I'm not sure where you could get it in bulk. However I'm tempted to get a litre bottle from Williamswarn, it works out at about half the price of the smaller bottles from the various HB suppliers.

Perhaps overkill ATM IF the Williamswarn is the same product Bribie? Have you found out yet?
Still no info on what sort of a shelf life this stuff has? I'm very interested to know about this.
A cap-full comes to 10ml in my syringe so at your dosage rate that's pretty much 12 kegs before needing another bottle.
Hardly bulk buy material when it's less than $10 a pop.
Just my 2c.

WP_20170801_17_30_42_Pro.jpg Still polishing off the keg of 25% feedbag and 75% Glad malt. Cascade hops.

Lovely golden colour. Tasty beer, will be sad when the keg blows.

Shepard Neame IPA clone i kegged last night poured through the stout spout on an Intertap. I have been getting little to no lacing on my beers of late. While not totaly bad it just doesnt satisfy. I bought all fresh ingredients for this one and it didnt disappoint. I need to get rid of some spec grains i think :rolleyes:

Edit: i tell a lie. Fresh grain not hops. The yeast was a few months old.

A version of Dr Smurto's 4 Shades of Stout. Just hit the spot last night after a long day and some cool weather. [emoji4] Put it down in March this year.

Don't hate me for the glass. A mate seems to have borrowed all my beer glasses from the last session.

Cheers

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502180096.814838.jpg

Helles lager.
4 days on biofine and still getting brighter.

Attachments

• 1502262372686.jpg
    1502262372686.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 129
English bitter

Marris
Caraaroma
Brown malt
Fuggles
Thames valley 2

Malts right where I like it

Attachments

• 1502266981782.jpg
    1502266981782.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 120
First stout I've made for a long time.

Maris Otter base, oats, brown malt, carafa spec II & III and flaked barley. Used Melbourne Ale yeast and bittered with Simcoe.

Seems I added a few extra litres or boil off was off as I ended up with 26L so it's a bit of a lighter at 5.3% then I intended but pretty tasty nonetheless.

Brewed in remembrance of my Papa/Grandpa who recently passed and loved his stouts.

Attachments

• 1502284809078.jpg
    1502284809078.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 120
View attachment 107440 Friday arvo session Ale.

4% and 35ibu

Nelson Sauvin / Rakua hops
We can all take photos of anything these days but occasionally a pic 'says' something. I can feel myself sitting on a stool in that pic - sun setting, some birds doing their final calls in the background, silence about the house with nothing a matter in the world but yourself and a cold beverage. Almost has a late '80s vibe and wouldn't be surprised if Astro Boy was playing in the background and there were a stack of newspapers on the bench. Top stuff.

First stout I've made for a long time.

Maris Otter base, oats, brown malt, carafa spec II & III and flaked barley. Used Melbourne Ale yeast and bittered with Simcoe.

Hey hwall,
Looks good!
Any report on what you think the Melbourne Ale yeast has brought to the party?
Any elements stand out compared to other yeasts you've used?
(I appreciate it's a bit hard if it's your first use of this recipe, and it's more dilute than normal, but just thought I'd ask)

Back