Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not trying to de-rail the thread at all, but did you notice any flavour changes mate? a sponsor's website suggests it brings out maltiness and accentuates yeast esters. if not, then i'm damn sold. that looks amazing for simply popping a cap into a keg.
To my taste it's really brought out the maltiness - the grain bill was just domestic Barrett Burston plus about a third Wey Vienna, but to me it tastes almost pure Kraut!

There's a Biofine Thread over in Grains and Adjuncts section that I started a couple of weeks ago.

3.9% Session IPA

82% BB Pale, 6.5% Caramunich II, 5% Munich, 3.5% Wheat, 3% Acidulated.

Cascade and Simcoe hops.

IMG_20170723_140615~01.jpg

American amber ale, 50g of fortnight in the cube was the entire hop bill.

Brewed for a mates wedding, fortunately the heathens didn't go for it and left me with 3/4 of a keg! Someone asked what it was and when I told them, they said "sounds like some of that fancy beer, no thanks" then went for XXXX summer instead [emoji13] You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink...

Attachments

• 1500789034432.jpg
    1500789034432.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 126
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1500798743.182656.jpg

Marzen.
Tastes approximately 10.36 times better than it looks. Only a few days in the keg after a sneaky little force carbing, and improving on a daily basis. Very very happy for a first attempt. Looking forward to the bottles after a few weeks.
Even SWMBO says "possibly your best beer yet". That's good enough for me!

American amber ale, 50g of fortnight in the cube was the entire hop bill.

Brewed for a mates wedding, fortunately the heathens didn't go for it and left me with 3/4 of a keg! Someone asked what it was and when I told them, they said "sounds like some of that fancy beer, no thanks" then went for XXXX summer instead [emoji13] You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink...
Commiserations. Did they say "ooh that's a bit different" ?

New Beer Alert!!

Rye IPA

6.8% ABV and around 60ibu

17% Rye malt and fermented with 007 Dry English Ale, finished around 1008

Columbus to 23ibu FWH - 90min boil
Amarillo @ 30m
Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy @ 5m
Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy @ 90c for 20mins ( 10m hopstand, 10m whirlpool )

Super juicy aroma with resinous flavour combined with the Rye spice and bittering...Winner!

V__3B63.jpg

New Beer Alert!!

Rye IPA

6.8% ABV and around 60ibu

17% Rye malt and fermented with 007 Dry English Ale, finished around 1008

Columbus to 23ibu FWH - 90min boil
Amarillo @ 30m
Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy @ 5m
Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy @ 90c for 20mins ( 10m hopstand, 10m whirlpool )

Super juicy aroma with resinous flavour combined with the Rye spice and bittering...Winner!

View attachment 107203
Always enjoy youre photos Pratty but all of a sudden they look too big

Once more unto the Biofine, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English drunks.

This one's a Blonde Ale, (BB - Vienna - Sugaz - Superpride - Ella - San Diego Super Yeast.)
Think I might be getting the hang of this brewing thing.
Biofine 5.jpg

Last edited:
That does look impressive Bribie.
I got caught up in all the Biofine hype and also ordered some, looking forward to giving it a try.

That does look impressive Bribie.
I got caught up in all the Biofine hype and also ordered some, looking forward to giving it a try.

Blonde Ale. Similar recipe to the one above but all Citra. Second pull out of keg.

It's Monday
Kegged with Biofine Saturday afternoon. (48 hours).
Pitched last Sunday with San Diego Super Yeast but that's another story as well.
As you can see, still flat as a tack but I won't waste the sample :drinkingbeer:

Biofine 6.jpg

There is a God.

Once more unto the Biofine, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English drunks.

This one's a Blonde Ale, (BB - Vienna - Sugaz - Superpride - Ella - San Diego Super Yeast.)
Think I might be getting the hang of this brewing thing.
View attachment 107216
I believe a naked woman might look even better in that glass, especially if she could do the backstroke...I mean, really, wouldn't anyone think so? We can sub "fairy" for "woman" if that helps...

View attachment 107194
Marzen.
Tastes approximately 10.36 times better than it looks. Only a few days in the keg after a sneaky little force carbing, and improving on a daily basis. Very very happy for a first attempt. Looking forward to the bottles after a few weeks.
Even SWMBO says "possibly your best beer yet". That's good enough for me!

wow - that's a photo right there mate! feck that's a good pic!!

been having the odd sneaky here too. This is 2days at 3dC after crashing, put into a PET then C02 filled ~ purged and bumped for a minute or two

pity the focus on the edge of the glass is a bit A.V .. do you ever walk out to your FV, glass in hand humming that old song Desperado? just me?

s-04 yeast
pils, wheat, caramunich1, lots of acidulated, lots of oats,
64dC mash
pH mash of 4.4 (cold soaked overnight)
4.8pH sparge (7.3 out of the tap, 65ltrs sparge water and then 350mls of orange juice brought it to 4.8
shit-loads of hops in at WP and orange zest
in summary - a dry, acidic, hop heavy 5.2% pale ale with a soft yeast and rounding out the mouthfeel with oats - there's a lot of hops in this beer but the oats and the yeast are saying bring it on, is that all you've got?!

the mash pH has not taken it too far imho, the next brew here will be cold soaked with the same grain bill and acid, but maybe another yeast as it def softens the hops which doesn't make sense to me I guess, tho the same beer with US05 is a bit harsh

...desperado....

pity the focus on the edge of the glass is a bit A.V ..

Yeah, go full manual. Shits me no end when the beer is ready for its close up, the heads fading, its going flat and the stupid Nikon is going wirrr - wirrr - wirrr trying to focus.
Just sayin.

Latest posts

Back