Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first own recipe started out as a Modus Operandi Session IPA clone.
Used the same ingredients with my own spin on it and called it chinsimtra session IPA

Taste wise the best brew I have made so far by a mile the smooth bitterness from FWH is exactly what I was looking for had a few so far that I have made that the bitterness has been a bit harsh for my liking
But as you can see from second photo the floaties visually is a killer , it was a wierd fermentation that looked wierdly layered the whole way through. I used clear brite as I do for all my brews along with gelatin . I racked like I do all my brews and noticed transfering that a white suspended substance happened would transfer to keg at times I thought maybe protein ?
Anyway after about ten pints it has cleared , but I was wondering maybe my mash schedule or ingredients?

Mash schedule was 60 min at 69c
mash out was 10 min 76

Other than the floaties head retention could be better so if anyone has any ideas to tweek this they would be greatly appreciated as its a great drop

Ingredients list is also attached in photos

Chin.JPG chin1.JPG chin2.JPG

Used the same ingredients with my own spin on it and called it chinsimtra session IPA

Taste wise the best brew I have made so far by a mile the smooth bitterness from FWH is exactly what I was looking for had a few so far that I have made that the bitterness has been a bit harsh for my liking
But as you can see from second photo the floaties visually is a killer , it was a wierd fermentation that looked wierdly layered the whole way through. I used clear brite as I do for all my brews along with gelatin . I racked like I do all my brews and noticed transfering that a white suspended substance happened would transfer to keg at times I thought maybe protein ?
Anyway after about ten pints it has cleared , but I was wondering maybe my mash schedule or ingredients?

mash out was 10 min 76

Other than the floaties head retention could be better so if anyone has any ideas to tweek this they would be greatly appreciated as its a great drop

View attachment 107147 View attachment 107148 View attachment 107149

also hopstand was at 70C for 30 minutes

Freshly kegged Vienna galaxy ale fresh wort from Cannon Hill brewing that I made with the younger brother due to being short of time.

Base beer was really tasty but dry hopped it with 50g of Galaxy just to make it a bit more intense. Solid beer to enjoy while brewing a big dark stout.

Will be even better once it has a few days to settle out and clear.

IMG_2448.JPG
I think that photo alone from Bribie has me sold on the biofine.

It might have help this effort above along more. My Gero Pale. Very tasty, just not very clear.
A big thank you to Headmaster glasses and a cold fridge for the assistance with the head on this.

Last edited:
IMG_2445.JPG

And my Breakfast Stout which is coming up to two months in the bottle.
After looking at Ducatiboy Stu's Pillar of Stout, and what I had on hand, I came up with this. My first try with a rolled oats addition, and also using Wyeast and oxygen wand combo.
If it tastes like this after two months and gets better with age, then you won't be able to kick the smile off my face at two and a half months!
Now to get brewing some more.

Pretty good Bribie.
Have yet to give my Biofine a go.
How long is it now? Two weeks?
Did you shake the keg?
Pete, 10 days but it's been more or less like that for a week now. I didn't actually shake the keg. When I'd filled it I thought "hey I've got this Biofine, so I just tipped a capful into the beer in the keg. It was almost instant, as the Biofine went in it left what looked like a smoke trail down through the brew as everything flocced and the invisible stuff became visible.
I just kegged off another and put the Biofine in first so it got well mixed in as the beer transferred.

View attachment 107172

And my Breakfast Stout which is coming up to two months in the bottle.
After looking at Ducatiboy Stu's Pillar of Stout, and what I had on hand, I came up with this. My first try with a rolled oats addition, and also using Wyeast and oxygen wand combo.
If it tastes like this after two months and gets better with age, then you won't be able to kick the smile off my face at two and a half months!
Now to get brewing some more.
Stout season.
I want one of those right now

Ah yes! It's stout time! :drinkingbeer:

Tsarina's Knickers Russian Imperial Stout.
Eight months old plus & 9.7 % with French oak chips, OP rum & vanilla beans.

View attachment 107175
Well that's all fancy like. When/how did you add all the extras?

I've got my first real RIS in a keg now, and took under advice to keep it "neat" (at least for the first one) but was definitely tempted to add some bourbon soak oak chips...

Soaked the (toasted) chips & vanilla beans in the OP rum for seven days then added the lot,rum & all (using a suspended voile bag) to the keg for the duration.
Mind you, the French oak chips were around eight years old & had lost a lot of their potency.
Checked for taste every couple of weeks.but finally just left the lot in the keg. Tapped it a couple of weeks ago.
Oak taste is in the background & not excessive to me anyway.
Not nearly as good as some of those RIS's stored in an old rum barrel though. Yum!

Soaked the (toasted) chips & vanilla beans in the OP rum for seven days then added the lot,rum & all (using a suspended voile bag) to the keg for the duration.
Mind you, the French oak chips were around eight years old & had lost a lot of their potency.
Checked for taste every couple of weeks.but finally just left the lot in the keg. Tapped it a couple of weeks ago.
Oak taste is in the background & not excessive to me anyway.
Not nearly as good as some of those RIS's stored in an old rum barrel though. Yum!
That's the sort of devotion my wife keeps talking about.

mash out was 10 min 76

View attachment 107147 View attachment 107148 View attachment 107149

well problem sorted ..............well kind of as the keg kicked last night to my utter disgust whilst watching the footy . I'm sure that keg had a hole in it . Will be brewing this a gain but might try some biofine instead of gelatin to see if that has any effect

Interesting mate how would you compare it to gelatin if you have used it ?
I have used gelatine in the past and got some nice clear ales, but after a week. Biofine worked far quicker. Also as you can see, no chill haze.
I use Brewbright at the end of boil and that gets me nearly all the way, but in the case of lagers in particular I often ended up with hazes that gelatine wouldn't touch.

Also gelatine tends to produce "fluffy bottom" so it's not an idea to move the kegs around, for example when repacking the kegerator.

Pete, 10 days but it's been more or less like that for a week now. I didn't actually shake the keg. When I'd filled it I thought "hey I've got this Biofine, so I just tipped a capful into the beer in the keg. It was almost instant, as the Biofine went in it left what looked like a smoke trail down through the brew as everything flocced and the invisible stuff became visible.
I just kegged off another and put the Biofine in first so it got well mixed in as the beer transferred.

not trying to de-rail the thread at all, but did you notice any flavour changes mate? a sponsor's website suggests it brings out maltiness and accentuates yeast esters. if not, then i'm damn sold. that looks amazing for simply popping a cap into a keg.

WP_20170719_18_31_04_Pro.jpg

American Wheat Ale.

dropped clear for some reason.....

70% Ale
30% Wheat

@65c

Fermented with US05

4.5% and 22ibu

Magnum at 60m = 7ibu
Citra, Galaxy and Cascade at WP = 15ibu

same WP combo for the dry hop at 2g/L

targetted 5.2 pH and got a crisp finish.

Back