Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saison has finally come good.

I did 100 litres of kolsch for one of my first brews on the 150 litre system with the 50 litre brau and the 114 litre ss kettle.

Efficiency was way higher than I expected and i ended up with 1.065 (roughly) wort. So, I ran off the calculated amount at start of boil, to the brau and added water to 27 litres to create this saison.
Boiled with Saaz plugs and added a bit of Indian coriander.
Fermented with belle saison (first time use) and start and finish 1.054 to 1.002.
Fermented at 32 degrees....big mistake with this yeast lol. Waaay too many esters and fusals
Here it is. After a month or 2 in the keg. Tastes beautiful and malty with a nice dry finish. Slight Spivey flavour from the saaz.
Not bad at about 6% or so.

Attachments

• 20170619_215457.png
    20170619_215457.png
    919.7 KB · Views: 129
wp_ss_20170620_0002.png
75% Gladfield pilsner and 25% homemade Feedbag malt. A handful of roasted wheat thrown in. Not the prettiest but smooth and very nice drinking.

IMG_0517.JPG
Tapped these about a week ago
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone , really like the mouth feel of this one will use the grainbill for this again for sure , slightly to strong a bitter after taste for me on this one. Will adjust recipe slightly for my taste

IMG_0522.JPG

My Dr Smurto's Golden Ale , photo doesnt do the colour justice. Now I can see why everyone raves about this one . My wife loves this one she even poured herself a few pints while I was away for work lol . This is perfectly balance in my eyes just the right amount of bitterness etc . Going to brew again for sure . Might have a crack at brewing this with the same grainbill and maybe a different hop like Citra ? Has anyone tried this ?

First pour from my new keg setup, English brown, pretty much nailed it [emoji109][emoji109][emoji109]

Now I'm gonna go and pitch the next ESB.... #brewinglife ;)
That is a cracking looking beer their mate any chance of sharing the recipe

My hoppy porter.
5kg mo
300g carafa2
500g oats
10g centennial at 10 mins
90g centennial in the cube.
No dry hops.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1498098288.931633.jpg

It's fantastic.

That is a cracking looking beer their mate any chance of sharing the recipe

Gladly! Salt and acid additions to suit my fairly alkaline brisbane water, I think Bru'n'water said I would have a mash pH of around 5.4 mashing in 20l and then sparging with 12.7l

From memory I went over on efficiency, and went from 1.054 down to 1.014.

Newcy Brown
Northern English Brown Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.050
Total Hops (g): 55.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 15.0 (EBC): 29.6
Bitterness (IBU): 33.7 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Pale Ale Malt (89.11%)
0.200 kg Crystal 80 (3.96%)
0.200 kg Shepards Delight (3.96%)
0.100 kg Victory (1.98%)
0.050 kg Chocolate, Pale (0.99%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Target Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
30.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
4.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 60 Minutes (Mash)
1.0 g Hydrochloric @ 60 Minutes (Mash)
3.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2.0 g Hydrochloric @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with M42 - New World Strong Ale

Gladly! Salt and acid additions to suit my fairly alkaline brisbane water, I think Bru'n'water said I would have a mash pH of around 5.4 mashing in 20l and then sparging with 12.7l

From memory I went over on efficiency, and went from 1.054 down to 1.014.

Newcy Brown
Northern English Brown Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.050
Total Hops (g): 55.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 15.0 (EBC): 29.6
Bitterness (IBU): 33.7 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Pale Ale Malt (89.11%)
0.200 kg Crystal 80 (3.96%)
0.200 kg Shepards Delight (3.96%)
0.100 kg Victory (1.98%)
0.050 kg Chocolate, Pale (0.99%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Target Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
30.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
4.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 60 Minutes (Mash)
1.0 g Hydrochloric @ 60 Minutes (Mash)
3.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2.0 g Hydrochloric @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with M42 - New World Strong Ale

Nice cheers mate

Low Cal piss Ale. With Beersmith and Aussie Home Brewer forums operating.
OG=1.036 FG = 1.002. ABV = 4.4%. Its getting better with cold keg conditioning yes I'm surprized in flavour unexpected ways.
Very Beer! Sessionable, cold/crisp with a load more flavour character than say a shelf low carb beer etc. Earthy, more malty and nectar when warmer and flatter.
More Beer aroma and flavour than the richer version that is more malty and hop forward like the stronger version I just pitched.

That Hydrometer reading for the stronger full body version is OG = 1.074. :cool:

Attachments

• Low Cal beer1.JPG
    Low Cal beer1.JPG
    499.6 KB · Views: 145
American farmhouse/saison sort of thing - ale/wheat/vienna, bittered with chinook or Columbus I think, then mosaic late. Recultured DuPont bottle yeast.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1498278673.512555.jpg

1498284747691.jpg

Cooper's Stout base recipe with Scottish Ale yeast as a repitch. 600g of black malt and 450g wheat I think. Super Pride for bittering my only. Ended up at 6.6%. Absolutely no charcoal, ashy flavour but rather bold roasty warmth that one associastes with a stout. Quite lucious and smooth with a warm alcoholic kick to it. The head is like an espresso shot and lasts 'til the bottom of the glass. The only downfall is the slight Scottish character the yeast has brought out - surprise surprise - which is probably all I'd change next time. A proper stout finally!

This is a sneaky taste of a Sour Cherry Stout. Mid-last week I added 900gms of cherries which had been pitted, frozen then thawed (x3). Probably a beer that will age well at cellar temps. I think the cherries can stay in the keg and I'll try it again late in the week. Once carbed in the keg it will go into bottles.

View attachment 106480
Tapped these about a week ago
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone , really like the mouth feel of this one will use the grainbill for this again for sure , slightly to strong a bitter after taste for me on this one. Will adjust recipe slightly for my taste

View attachment 106481

My Dr Smurto's Golden Ale , photo doesnt do the colour justice. Now I can see why everyone raves about this one . My wife loves this one she even poured herself a few pints while I was away for work lol . This is perfectly balance in my eyes just the right amount of bitterness etc . Going to brew again for sure . Might have a crack at brewing this with the same grainbill and maybe a different hop like Citra ? Has anyone tried this ?
Mate, just tucking into my Dr Smurtos golden ale with subbed-in hops;
Cascade in the boil,
Dry hop with Amarillo and Citra

Each time I crack another, I just go ,f#&K that's good!
I may try a all Citra Pale just to get the full feel of it.

Mate, just tucking into my Dr Smurtos golden ale with subbed-in hops;
Cascade in the boil,
Dry hop with Amarillo and Citra

Each time I crack another, I just go ,f#&K that's good!
I may try a all Citra Pale just to get the full feel of it.

yeah I am thinking of doing Dr smurto grainbill with citra for the hops in the future

Well over the weekend tried a few brews for research purposes lol

brewdog dead pony club.JPG
Brewdog Dead Pony Club , wanted to try a session IPA as this recipe is easy to get hold of . To be honest wasn't overly impressed definately tastes watery to me . Much prefer Modus Operandi Session Ipa

snpa.JPG

SNPA on the left and mine on the right , colur not the same and mine is more bitter as I suspected , SNPA much more balance than mine and will have another crack at it down the track

Also tried LC Fire Falcon Hoppy Red on Tap , didn't mind this at all dont think its something I could drink alot of though

English brown somehow tastes better out of a pint glass, rather than the usual tulip [emoji108]

Attachments

• 1498891126133.jpg
    1498891126133.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 120
To be honest wasn't overly impressed definately tastes watery to me . Much prefer Modus Operandi Session Ipa

I'll second that, the MO session IPA (wippa snippa) was absolutely unreal when I had it on tap on the sunny coast. Up there in my top 10 for sure.

Heart Reconstruction Vienna Lager - pressure-fermenter sample before final lagering. It ended up strong at 6.8%, but it's just all malt and yeast character. And...wait for it...the wife loves it. Finally!

I put this one down a week before a quintuple cardiac bypass, which allowed me to take the long way home, as I couldn't do a lot more than adjust temps on the fridge.

Nice thing about pressure fermenting, you can choose your carb level and your initial tastes tell you whether that's right. Happy with this one, after two tippers (just due to the fact I don't drink what I don't like). It's carbed about where I want it.

IMG_8773.JPG

Back