Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cracked into Sierra Nevada 2015 Beer Camp Hoppy Lager , tastes like a strong Knappstein Reserve to me despite the hops list not containing any Nelson, how do SN hide the ABV, (7% in this case) so well?

Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA. Brewed with a mix of fresh cones and distilled hop oil. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434768741.711160.jpg
A cracking beer.

I love the idea of supporting micro and local breweries. On the way home from Wangaratta today we decided to have lunch at the Buffalo Brewery. It turned out to be a small pub that brewed it's own beer.
No stout on tap, so I tried their lager. Check out the clarity below:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434777532.742692.jpg
Absolutely battled my way through the glass. Worst tap beer I've ever had by miles. I've tipped out my own brews that have been better than this (honestly). All sorts of esters flying out the glass and as a guess was fermented in the mid to high 20's. Probably extract, or grain delivered milled and stored in the ceiling cavity for 6 months before being used.
Maybe their other beers are better but no way was I going to risk it. A shame really, I would love to be supportive but it was just awful.

Just ordered a case of Nomad Brewing Company Jet Lag IPA from Dan's Online Free Delivery. Hope it will be worth it at $87.00 a case not cheap for 330ml bottles.

TheWiggman said:
I love the idea of supporting micro and local breweries. On the way home from Wangaratta today we decided to have lunch at the Buffalo Brewery. It turned out to be a small pub that brewed it's own beer.
attachicon.gif
Absolutely battled my way through the glass. Worst tap beer I've ever had by miles. I've tipped out my own brews that have been better than this (honestly). All sorts of esters flying out the glass and as a guess was fermented in the mid to high 20's. Probably extract, or grain delivered milled and stored in the ceiling cavity for 6 months before being used.
Maybe their other beers are better but no way was I going to risk it. A shame really, I would love to be supportive but it was just awful.
pheew! I was going to go there but got sidetracked.

Just had these two excellent beers, really shows the difference a yeast can make to the same base recipe. {attachment=81324:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434782770.725379.jpg]

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434782770.725379.jpg

Tropical_Brews said:
Just ordered a case of Nomad Brewing Company Jet Lag IPA from Dan's Online Free Delivery. Hope it will be worth it at $87.00 a case not cheap for 330ml bottles.
Great beer from a solid brewery.

Yes looking forward to this should be good from reviews Lychee and a touch of finger lime to add to the fruity character maybe should have ordered two cases seeing as a case of 30 CA Spearhead only lasts about 3 or 4 days.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434792801.447455.jpg
Aah, Guiness. One of the worlds most overrated beers.

As bland and boring as I remember it.

Faint metallic and cardboard vibes. **** all else.

(Bottle kindly left behind by a recent guest).

No pics, but I had LC Return of the Dread and their Winter Solstice IPA last night in Geelong. Top drops!

LC Return of the Dread, consumed whilst cooking the barbie tonight, not too bad,
Its actually got some flavour other than just throat tearing roast.
May need to grab a few more while the local bottle has some....

edited for clarification.

TheWiggman said:
attachicon.gif
Ha, I tried their beers about 6 years ago. they were terrible, I was under the impression that a mate of the publican brewed some crap kits and bits out the back and it sure tasted like it. Notice that whenever 'craft beer' is promoted in the North East that Buffalo is never included. There's a reason.

I had a pint of Little Creatures Bright Ale and was pleasantly surprised in how nice it was.
I remember being underwhelmed last time I drank it a couple of years ago.
I really liked the hop profile & it was just a really good easy drinking beer.

Was looking at doing a similar brew and I notice the hops are not cascade & motueka anymore they now list liberty, crystal, summer & pacifica.

Anyone else like the new incarnation of this beer ?

Red Hill Scotch Ale last night. Damn treat.

The lovely missus brought a mixed sixer back from her spa weekend. Win-win :lol:

From their website:

Scotch Ale 5.8%
The colour of burnished copper, strong with a caramely sweetness. A malt driven beer, lightly balanced with our own Goldings and Willamette fresh hop flowers. The grain make up in this beer is a tightly kept secret. It has taken 7 years to perfect and is a very special blend of English Malts, some of which are dark roasted to impart the toffee and sweet flavours of this ale.

Malt: Marris Otter, Crystal, Roast Barley

Hops Bittering: Willamette / Goldings, Aroma: Goldings

Original Gravity: 1063
Bitterness: 17 IBU

Leviathan said:
Cracked into Sierra Nevada 2015 Beer Camp Hoppy Lager , tastes like a strong Knappstein Reserve to me despite the hops list not containing any Nelson, how do SN hide the ABV, (7% in this case) so well?
Half way down my first pack already. At 50IBU nothing like a lager except nice and crisp. More hops up front than any Australian IPA I have ever tasted a wonderful smooth drinkable beer. Anybody who likes a good IPA should seek this one out. I wish somebody would clone this and put it out as a regular brew. Had to ask at my local Dan's they had it all hidden away in the storeroom.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/seasonal/beer-camp-hoppy-lager

Latest posts

Back