Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm quite enjoying the malt in this as it warms up.

I haven't had a Kilkenny in a while. The last time was probably on tap at Pig and Whistle, Olinda.

An approximate recipe will have to be sought out, I think.

Also, not bad value at $23 for 6x 440ml cans (Docs, Ringwood)

image.jpg

Ballast point big eye IPA. It'd been a while but damn this is a nice drop.

I'm all over the Creatures this evening.

I really love their IPA. Toffee malt and marmalade hops, winning combo.

And the Dread for afters. Tried a bottle the other day, also very good.

The IPA is their best regular IMO, probably tied with Dread for my affections.

Hmm, malty/hops VS malty/roast....FIGHT !

image.jpg

Bridges said:
Certainly is. I may get stuck into a couple during my afternoon brewing session today

Bridges said:
Try SN Hoppy Lager it is also a cracker made with Ballast Point input and around the same price at Dan's loving it on my second of the day must hit the shop for more.

Went to the Pig and Whistle Olinda on Sunday had the Return of the Dread on tap, a little disappointing after reading the other reviews but I will wait until I have tried it from the bottle before I make a decision, at the moment still prefer the Coopers stout, had a pint of Old Speckled Hen first I have had for a couple of years and I did enjoy it, apart from it being too cold.
The meal as usual was faultless.

I suggested their serving temp was too low last time I was in there.

I got the response of ''Yeah, it's quite cold outside, maybe that has something to do with it?'' from the girl who served me. I left the conversation there.

The beers are great, but you need to brush with Sensodyne toothpaste for at least a week before going for a pint.

Or order a few pints each in the first round so they can warm up a bit...

Had the pirate life pale ale last night, couple of ex brew dog brewers that have set up in Adelaide. Nice drop, true American pale ale.

Also had the dogfish head 60 min IPA. Also another nice drop.

Deschutes fresh squeezed IPA. Supposed to be citra and mosaic, nice drop but maybe I was expecting a bit much from it, I was wanting to be super impressed, blown away, but all I can say is that it's a pretty good IPA, (brewed Feb 18th 2015) The ballast point big eye I'm having now is probably better.
YMMV.

Bridges said:
Deschutes fresh squeezed IPA. Supposed to be citra and mosaic, nice drop but maybe I was expecting a bit much from it, I was wanting to be super impressed, blown away, but all I can say is that it's a pretty good IPA, (brewed Feb 18th 2015) The ballast point big eye I'm having now is probably better.
YMMV.
Not really that freshly squeezed then.

Tropical_Brews said:
Try SN Hoppy Lager it is also a cracker made with Ballast Point input and around the same price at Dan's loving it on my second of the day must hit the shop for more.
Surprised there has been no other comments on this one. Probably one of the best beers I have ever had here without travelling to the U.S.

Had 2 schooners of Tooheys Old with my lunch today

After almost 20 years, I'm wondering why it took so long to get back to it

Very enjoyable

Cheers

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436159532.558089.jpg Ballast Point Calico amber ale at their tasting room in San Diego. Also tried the big eye IPA and picked up a 6 pack of Sculpin.

Went to congregation ale house in long beach California, had the drakes 1500, really good pale ale (I would almost call it am ipa) and then had a Pliny the elder. Soooo much flavour and aroma. Killed my palate after that , had a couple of Sierra Nevada pale ales after that back at the hotel and they tasted like a band lager.

Had a Feral Sly Fox tonight. Was described as a summer ale. Had my reservations but it was bloody tasty. Loads of fruit and loads of bitter hops. Well nice.

welly2 said:
Had a Feral Sly Fox tonight. Was described as a summer ale. Had my reservations but it was bloody tasty. Loads of fruit and loads of bitter hops. Well nice.
Why the reservations? One of the countries best breweries.

Spiesy said:
Why the reservations? One of the countries best breweries.
Every beer I've had described as a "summer ale" has always been a bland, weak, tasteless disappointment.

Example, and probably not a good one but had a bottle of this over the weekend:

XXXX%20Summer%20Bright%20Lager.png

I know it's XXXX and I shouldn't expect anything great from them anyway but honestly, it literally tasted of nothing. I'm not exaggerating, it really had absolutely no flavour at all. I've had a few other summer ales and lagers in the past and same thing - no flavour to speak of. Call me controversial but I fail to see the point of making a beer that tastes of nothing.

welly2 said:
Every beer I've had described as a "summer ale" has always been a bland, weak, tasteless disappointment.

Example, and probably not a good one but had a bottle of this over the weekend:

XXXX%20Summer%20Bright%20Lager.png

I know it's XXXX and I shouldn't expect anything great from them anyway but honestly, it literally tasted of nothing. I'm not exaggerating, it really had absolutely no flavour at all. I've had a few other summer ales and lagers in the past and same thing - no flavour to speak of. Call me controversial but I fail to see the point of making a beer that tastes of nothing.
I am totally with you on this. All my mates drink this rubbish, and for roughly $45 a carton, WHY!? I see absolutely no point this shit

Back