Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434612901.012782.jpg
Mountain Goat Surefoot Stout.

"Dark, roasted malts dominate the palate", says he can. Hmm. I usually eagerly await the annual arrival of his brew, but this is the most plain-Jane "approachable" version of the MG Stout that I've ever had.

Nothing wrong with it, just nothing really right with it.

slcmorro said:
So so so good. Didn't have any Keller when I was there, but that Temptress.... to die for.
I'd normally agree. But I found the roast to be lacking this time round. Couldn't find the chocolate or supposed vanilla.

Had a Fuller's Double Choc Stout later on and certainly picked out the chocolate in that brew.

Spiesy said:
I'd normally agree. But I found the roast to be lacking this time round. Couldn't find the chocolate or supposed vanilla.

Had a Fuller's Double Choc Stout later on and certainly picked out the chocolate in that brew.
Wow. I found the Temptress to be absolutely amazing when I went. That was back in April. I've got a Fullers Black Cab Stout in the shed - will be going in the face during tonight's Hawks match!

slcmorro said:
Wow. I found the Temptress to be absolutely amazing when I went. That was back in April. I've got a Fullers Black Cab Stout in the shed - will be going in the face during tonight's Hawks match!
Last time I had it on tap was prob around April as well. And it was very good. That was on draught from Raccoon Club in Preston.

The pot on hand pump from the brewery was nice, it just lacked character.

Spiesy said:
was it Fullers or Young's double Choc stout? Haven't seen a Fullers version, but their double stout is heaven so if theyve done a Choc version I'd be keen to try a pint or six

Blind Dog said:
was it Fullers or Young's double Choc stout? Haven't seen a Fullers version, but their double stout is heaven so if theyve done a Choc version I'd be keen to try a pint or six
Good call, it was Young's.

Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA :icon_drool2:

Brilliant IPA.

WP_20150618_003.jpg

Spiesy said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434612901.012782.jpg
Mountain Goat Surefoot Stout.

"Dark, roasted malts dominate the palate", says he can. Hmm. I usually eagerly await the annual arrival of his brew, but this is the most plain-Jane "approachable" version of the MG Stout that I've ever had.

Nothing wrong with it, just nothing really right with it.
I thought it was shit. Had about as much flavour as cartlon black, I could see right through it, and it was more like a stout cut with soda water.

Liam_snorkel said:
I thought it was shit. Had about as much flavour as cartlon black, I could see right through it, and it was more like a stout cut with soda water.
Good to know I'm not alone.

Maybe the shift to cans came with a change in brew philosophy. "Appeal to the masses"?

Black Ball.JPG

Managed to snap a pic of my Black Ball Porter last night. Dark and smoky with a chocolate flavour and hints of citrus hops. At 8% abv it is well balanced, only tasting the alcohol on the first sip. Normally not liking smoked malts in beers, I found it not over whelming as many can be.

Spiesy said:
Good to know I'm not alone.

Maybe the shift to cans came with a change in brew philosophy. "Appeal to the masses"?
I don't know, they might have just botched it. Maybe the recipe needs to be tweaked for large scale brewing at Asahi. Either way I'm going to be reluctant to buy it again.

LC - Return of the Dread stout on the other hand is excellent!

Liam_snorkel said:
I don't know, they might have just botched it. Maybe the recipe needs to be tweaked for large scale brewing at Asahi. Either way I'm going to be reluctant to buy it again.

Will have to give it a go.

If you haven't tried Founders Porter, you need to. My favourite Porter/Stout over the last couple of years. So rich, chocolatey and roasty with just a hint of smoke.

Topher said:
Where are you getting the Firestone beers Pratty?
Picked it up from Warners at the Bay bottlo in Warners Bay (Newcastle,NSW).

Spiesy said:
Will have to give it a go.

If you haven't tried Founders Porter, you need to. My favourite Porter/Stout over the last couple of years. So rich, chocolatey and roasty with just a hint of smoke.
yeah it's great, and the Founders imperial stout is a cracker too.

Liam_snorkel said:
Smoothest easiest drinking stout I've ever had, too bloody mor'ish for something sitting at 7.2%. Went well with a lovely fresh piece of jerky from Orreals at Brendale.

LC stout says coming soon on my local Dan's site will be looking out for this one.

Back