Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fresh Budvar @ Heathrow. Classic pils. Sh!ts on American Budweiser.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434200573.870295.jpg

Hey Ciderman, what did you think of the Echigo Red Ale?
I was really impressed (see my post from a week or 2 ago) and thought it's one of the best Reds I've ever had (though maybe because I'd been drinking mainly lager by comparison).
Fantastic malty flavour with a hint of toastiness and a nice spicy (hop) presence to compliment the malts.

Overall I was quite impressed with the basic quality/standard of the Japanese beers, though their craft beer has a long way to go - still few and far between.

technobabble66 said:
Hey Ciderman, what did you think of the Echigo Red Ale?
I was really impressed (see my post from a week or 2 ago) and thought it's one of the best Reds I've ever had (though maybe because I'd been drinking mainly lager by comparison).
Fantastic malty flavour with a hint of toastiness and a nice spicy (hop) presence to compliment the malts.
Overall I was quite impressed with the basic quality/standard of the Japanese beers, though their craft beer has a long way to go - still few and far between.
I think it's such a tough market to crack because every venue that sells food has one of either Kirin, Sapporo or Asahi on tap. There is just no choice.

I picked the eyes out of the supermarkets and liquor stores but it's all fairly mainstream. Once you find some craft beer it's good without being great. The echigo was good I thought but I wouldn't rush out to buy it again.

I noticed in the craft bars (of which there were not many) that I found the best craft beers. Everything seemed to be hazy on purpose to differentiate it from the mainstream lagers.

Grabbed a few Hitachino beers from Plonk last weekend. Spewing they didn't have the Red Rice ale.

Oh..nice.
They claim coffee beans added to the boil in this. If that's the case, I guess thats how it should be done. No astringency, just big roasty flavor. Could maby use a little more body.

Pictures%20121_zps003sfqgw.jpg

Not so much a fan of the sweet. Confirmation that I simply dont like lactose in beer, even when added by professional brewers. Kind of weaksause at 4% but you'd never pick it on mouthfeel.

Pictures%20256_zpsjrww32jm.jpg

Japanese take on an IPA? Fruity, malty slightly tart and aged in aged in cedar casks. Certainly not a traditional IPA and far more interesting than many.
Delicious.

Pictures%20137_zpsqjvctnvd.jpg

Last and least.
Heard some big talk about this beer - meh. Stout maby, but to restrained across the board to be called an imperial. Knew I should have grabbed the Rouge instead..

Pictures%20259_zpswo4ngxt9.jpg

Notable mention also was the 4 pack of Torpedo cans I got for $18. My burps smelt like a pine and citrus scented Ambi pur.

IMG_0189.jpg

Kostritzer Black Lager, $7.20 a six pack, a malty taste quite refreshing but would not go back for seconds.
Bought in the GST free haven of Langkawi,had with a street meal of rice, beef curry and deep fried mushrooms in batter for $1.00

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434513091.691245.jpg
Holgate Mt. Macedon Ale - from the brewery.

Served bloody cold, but nicer than I remember it.

Also tried the Keller Bier, and ESB and Temptress on hand pump. Both had beautiful mouthfeel and body but missed some of the bubbles. Mind you, the Temptress seems to have lost some of its chocolate even in the bottle form.

hwall95 said:
Out of curiosity how does it compare to the one we get in Australia? Had a bottle tonight and it was decent but could imagine it being greater when fresh.
can't say I've tried one in Oz. That one though, you could definitely smell and taste the saaz and it finished fairly dry with a hint of bitterness on the finish.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434610144.883455.jpg
Holgate ESB.

A very nice drop. Traditional ESB finished with Galaxy, that seems to give it a little lift. Need to let this warm up a little.

Spiesy said:
Also tried the Keller Bier, and ESB and Temptress on hand pump.
So so so good. Didn't have any Keller when I was there, but that Temptress.... to die for.

Back