Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I nearly got a bottle of that myself tonight droid. Settled for this instead...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432971347.283891.jpg

My first porter. Pretty impressed. Might be too drunk to get from the shed to the house at this rate.

Spiesy said:
Racer 5 is an awesome beer. I preferred it to the Stone IPA's that everyone seems to go on about. Shitload of hop flavour without an imbalance towards bitterness.
The racer 5 for me was a bit weird, massive hop aroma but somehow not as much of a hop flavour, good beer just the aroma was promising me more than the beer delivered. Thoroughly enjoyed it though.

Bridges said:
The racer 5 for me was a bit weird, massive hop aroma but somehow not as much of a hop flavour, good beer just the aroma was promising me more than the beer delivered. Thoroughly enjoyed it though.
Hmm. Not how I recall it. I wonder how fresh it was. I've only ever had it on tap, Stateside.

Sadly not now, but from a few days ago in Osaka.
Seriously, one of the best Red Ales I've ever had.
In Japan. From a can. In a 7-11.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433068931.274179.jpg

Fwiw, I've been v impressed with the standard of beer from the commercial mega-brewers in Japan. Not really up to craft brewery standards, but they shit all over most of our mega Brewers offerings.
Unfortunately the craft beer has been hard to find, but this brewery had consistently great beer (the other 2 Brewers I found were a bit disappointing).

Danwood said:
Quite porter-ish this year, I thought. More roasty than previous Stone beers.

Very nice, I agree. Went very well with some beef cheek stew and corn bread.
That it would.

saved this till last to enjoy with the mrs, batch 18, oak aged - I find ir very interesting how they are doing the quad aged beers. and now I am finally starting to see that there is no hard and fast rule about producing exactly the same beer year in and year out and maybe that RIS I have started thinking about may become a quad instead

pity there was no head, hopefully the retailer will give us something in exchange but we did drink it all so meh, whatever

BATCH 18 (blended on 15 November 2014) was distributed as follows:

Type

in BATCH

Moscatel

50%

Brandy

16,7%

Oloroso

16,7%

New Oak High Toast

16,7%

In terms of basis, this Oak Aged Batch 18 is the smaller brother of Batch 17, and as such it has a copper-brown colour and a mixture of muscatel and Quadrupel aromas. In addition to the obvious presence of grapes, one also clearly recognises date and vanilla flavours. This batch has more of a smoky flavour, as newly burnt wood was used. The wood tannins however, are less prominent. As a result, the aromas are softer and creamier, giving the consumer a complex yet highly accessible flavour.
Characteristics of muscatel: fruity: orange blossom, honey, light orange, raisin; flowery: rose, geranium, lily; spicy: tobacco leave, cider, clove.

JS Hop Thief 7 Not much aroma to speak of but quite fruity in hop flavours and easy drinking Not bad value at $51.99 a carton. Only 2 cartons left at my local Dan's staff said it was very popular and going fast.

Tropical_Brews said:
JS Hop Thief 7 Not much aroma to speak of but quite fruity in hop flavours and easy drinking Not bad value at $51.99 a carton. Only 2 cartons left at my local Dan's staff said it was very popular and going fast.
Currently $10 for a 6 pack all of June for Dan's members.

cliffo said:
Currently $10 for a 6 pack all of June for Dan's members.
Arrgh and double Arrgh. :beerbang:

Back