Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I do agree that the other thread should be as it always was.......... home brewed beers being shown off in all their glory.

This thread will be the home of pictures of Comercial beers that will be of interest of most home brewers.

Probably not much point of posting pics of beers we have all seen, Swill ect.

I would like to see it be more for the out there beers that we hear about but cant always find. Local and foreign specialty brews, rare finds and anything interesting. Its great to see what some exotic local and forein beers look like.

Also add a bit of a description of the beer for others to read.

OK........... on with it.

I recently aquired a bottle of Rochefort 8 and 10. Ive been a bit scared to open them. The prospect of trying such a beer is daunting.

HAlf way through the bottle of 8 right now.

Hooooolyyyyyy Sheep Shit!

Poped the lid and took a sniff. It made the hairs on the back of mt neck stand up. I have never smelt a beer so complex, so powerful, so intense.
Poured a deep murky brown colour, your average swill drinker would take one look and say......... no thanks!
I cant stop putting my nose in the wide mouth glass and breathing deeply. If the world smelt like this it would be a better place. It smells sweet and rich, some spicy hops there, vanilla and candy. It smells like my taste buds are going to have an orgasm!
Tasted and once again...... hairs on the back of the neck! Sweet, full and satisfying. Toffee maltiness and a hint of chocolaty notes to add complexity. Hops are there too but blend so well with the malt and yeast. Sweet and spicy.

9.2% ABV but no hint of alcahol in the mouth or finnish. My head if feeling a bit fluffy and thats the only way i know its there.

WOW, what an awsome beer. Im very impressed and much more edumacated on what i should be aiming for with a belgian.

This stuff makes the Chimay from dan murpheys taste like swamp water!

Cant wait to try the 10! Maybe tomorrow night on fathers day.

cheers

Rochefort_8__Large_.JPG

HAlf way through the bottle of 8 right now.

Hooooolyyyyyy Sheep Shit!

Yeah ... sheep shit indeed. New guys belgian experiment came up with the rochefort yeast as the most popular didn't it? Maybe that's important to get the character of this beer? we should all abandon 1214 and 3787 and go for 1762 instead.

Will certanyl be trying it after that!

If your review is anything to go by Tony, you may need an ambo on standby for the 10!! :D

Actually i've been meaning to try the 8. Never been able to find it in any bottleos...or Belgium for that matter :(....but I've been looking in the wrong place.
The 10 would undoubtedly be the best thing i've ever drank! Got a couple of bottles in the cellar for a 'special occasion'.

Moderators,

Please fix the spelling in the title to "Commercial".
Might help the search function down the line for someone.

I just made a trip to Dan Murphy's, as I was browsing the shelves I came across the Leffe Blonde 4 pack with free glass. it was 24 dollars, so I quickly grabbed it.

abbey%20leffe.PNG

this isn't my picture, but but the glass is similar, but it starts small and curves out to make a huge round lip on the glass.

Had a great day today.

Fathers day with my family drinking Pilsner Erquelle and fine red wine.

Came home, put the kids to bed and thought i would crack the Rochefort 10.

Arona of deep malt, some spicy hops and a touch of alcohol (at 11.3% i wonder why)
Deep chocolatly brown colour and fizy when poured, subsiding to a nice thin head that stuck around.
Deeper, darker more complex malts than the 8, less sweetness and more robust in the mouth. Some warming alcohol in the finnish too.
In all a very similar beer to the 8, only not as richly sweet and i felt the noticable alcohol took away from the beers character a bit.

If i had to choose i would pick the 8 as my favourite. More drinkable and more flavoursome. Will be buying the 8 again for sure!

Cheers

Oh and i will PM Doc about the spelling in the title.

Rochefort_10__Large_.JPG

Let us know which you prefer, the 8 or 10 - have had both and found the 8 more enjoyable - a little less intense.

Hmmmm a few beers at the footy this arvo and I can't tell the start of the thread from the end of it.

Glad you enjoyed the 8.

YEah definatly liked the 8. I poured the 10 cool and let it warm up as i drank it to room temp. As it warmed up the alcahol presence became stronger and really took away from the beers character. The slight "metho" feel on the lips does too.

Its a fantastic beer but the 8 had all this character, and more and none of the destracting alcohol to hide the beers true colours.

Now i just have to 2 lambics to try. Im still waiting for them to clear up from the postal trip. It seems wild yeast doesnt flocc as well as most brewers yeasts. Good till 2027 on the label so no rush. I really want to try them and if i like them i will order a few to put away and try over the years.

cheers

Now i just have to 2 lambics to try. Im still waiting for them to clear up from the postal trip. It seems wild yeast doesnt flocc as well as most brewers yeasts. Good till 2027 on the label so no rush.
cheers
ha! thats one good thing about them lambics. you'd never know they went off if they did :D
well, i wouldnt anyway. not a fan.

good review of the rocheforts tony!
joe

It's a lazy sunday arvo here in the big apple, here is what I happen to have in the fridge at the moment.

Love the anniversary ale. Better than SNPA by a mile I reckon. Very hoppy, but the balance is there.

The summer wheat has good hints of blueberries.

I can't get much pumpkin out of the smutty nose. Just a little tartness.

dcp_0004.jpg

dcp_0003.jpg

Woah! Some nice beers there!

Bought myself a mixed case of beer from Lobethal Bierhaus after hearing a few members mention it on other threads...
Lobethal.jpg

Trying the Hefeweizen as I speak (well, type).
Quite nice; plenty of banana and vanilla spicyness, bit more bready/wheaty than most weizens i've come across.

The Flying Horse Bar & Brewery Whale Ale & Dirty Angel.
I haven't been able to pick which of these 2 beers is my favourite, so I have been drinking the Mahogany Porter until I make a decision.
Cheers
Gerard

Whale___Dirty_Angel.JPG

Looks good Gerard, the colour of the Whale ale looks fantastic

Love the look of an unfiltered ale

Kabooby :)

I just made a trip to Dan Murphy's, as I was browsing the shelves I came across the Leffe Blonde 4 pack with free glass. it was 24 dollars, so I quickly grabbed it.

abbey%20leffe.PNG

this isn't my picture, but but the glass is similar, but it starts small and curves out to make a huge round lip on the glass.
I did the exact same thing the other day. Couldn't help myself...I had to own that glass...and the beer ain't too bad either! :D
Leffe.jpg

would think/hope gerard could produce something slightly better than the cascade kit ...

The Cascade beer kit? :p

Yeah I need 30 cans to get 600litres in the kettle, I broke my can opener on the last batch so I will have to wait until the next "can-opener bulk-buy"
Cheers
Gerard

Back