What Are You Brewing - 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knocked this brew out today. (Cream Ale)

SunsOut GunsOut.JPG

Brewed a Saison today "Season's Saison", using a few leftovers. May not come out brilliant, but should taste ok.

1.5kg Coopers Light LME
0.5kg Light DME
0.4kg Dark DME
0.4kg Wheat DME
0.2kg Dextrose

0.25kg Carapils
0.2kg Crystal

28g Magnum (13%) @ 30 minutes
20g Hallertau Mittlefrueh @10 minutes
20g Hallertau Mittlefrueh @5 minutes

Wyeast French Saison 3711PC.

Expected OG 1.055 - Actual 1.054
Expected FG 1.010
Alc 6.0%

IBU 27.7
EBC 17.6.

Going to run it at ambient temperature in garage (Melbourne), but if it looks like it will drop too low, will get the heatbelt & keep at around 22-24.

Cheers.

Cold crashing my German Pilsner as well then moving that to a keg to lager in kegerator for a month (if I can last that long).

T00lio

Going to turn out a Gratzer beer tomorrow!

OG: 1.040
IBU 19
4kg oak smoked wheat malt
200g acid malt

120 minute boil with Spalt at 45 mins and 30 mins to 19-20IBU

Will probably taste like ham.

Nick R said:
Will probably taste like ham.
You got that right, but oak smoked ham, not beech smoked.

Maybe I'll bring some along to Bitter and Twisted festival. I made an Eicheweizenbock with that malt.

Brewed an old ale for drinking next winter. 7kg of grain in a 20L braumeister. Was worried the pump would tell me to FO, but worked just fine. Took a bit of stirring to get the grain all wet and happy, but after that all as normal

Planning an 8kg grain bill barley wine next using Dicko's genius 'flip the lid' method (patent pending)

Blind Dog said:
Brewed an old ale for drinking next winter. 7kg of grain in a 20L braumeister. Was worried the pump would tell me to FO, but worked just fine. Took a bit of stirring to get the grain all wet and happy, but after that all as normal

Planning an 8kg grain bill barley wine next using Dicko's genius 'flip the lid' method (patent pending)
what efficiency did you get with 7kg ? brew house and mash.

manticle said:
Accidentally posted in the 2013 thread.
Alt.
Base is 50% dingeman pils, 25% each weyermann munich and vienna. Touch of biscuit and aromatic, shade of choc for colour.
Couple of decoctions, stepped mash. Calcium sulphate and calcium chloride to mash and boil. Spalter to 45 ibu with a third of that from 10 minute addition.
No chill into keg, 1007 yeast at 14 degree C.
how does 1007 go at 14 mate? i've had it at 16 in a kolsch and have never had such a clean tasting ale. no hints of fruit at all which is what i was going for, but am curious to how low she can be pushed.

After brewing the Ham Beer (Gratzer) earlier this week, today is a good opportunity to knock out another wheat based brew:

Hungry Hungry Hefe!
70% Weyermann Wheat
25% Weyermann Pilsner
5% Carawheat
Two handfuls (that's the technical term) of acid malt.

10 at 45c, 60 minutes at 65c and 20 at 72c plus mash out.
Ca Carbonate and Chloride in the mash.

17IBUs of Hallertau Hersbrucker at 60 minutes.

Still pondering which yeast to use.

Smashed out a really quick BIAB this morning before leaving for work at 11am

4.2kg JW trad ale
1.4kg JW wheat malt
100g medium crystal
500g cane sugar

20g Amarillo 30mins
25g Amarillo cube
8g Nelson Sauvin cube

37litres OG not sure yet probably 1.040-1.045

Mashed in at 0855
Packed up by 1020

Not wanting to be an arse, but are those start and end times correct Tahoose?

Assuming a 60 minute mash, that gets you mashing out at 9:55. That leaves you with 25 minutes to ramp up from mash out temp to boil, do your 30min Amarillo boil and packup. :blink:

Nah totally correct.

Went with a mash in at 55c 15ltrs about 10-15 mins later infused with 16ltrs of boiling water up to 67c.
Put another 8ltrs on the stove to get up to temp, 25 mins later pulled out the bag and put the burner on. Batch sparge in a separate bucket for 10min.

10min boil, brewbright in as soon as it starts boiling. Whirlpool, OG 1:040 at this point

Then decided to up the volume, so decided to make a sugar solution of 5ltrs water and 500g sugar and bought it back to the boil. Whirlpool again and into the cubes.

Recipe: Semtex Pale Ale

Style: American Pale Ale
————————–
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Actual OG: 1.059
Estimated Color: 21.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 46.5 IBUs
————

4.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)
0.50 kg Munich II (Weyermann)
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston)
0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann)
10.00 g Magnum - Boil 60.0 min
25.00 g Cascade - Steep
25.00 g Centennial - Steep
25.00 g Citra - Steep
25.00 g Columbus - Steep
20.00 g Cascade - Dry Hop
20.00 g Centennial - Dry Hop
20.00 g Citra - Dry Hop

————————————————————————————-

fletcher said:
how does 1007 go at 14 mate? i've had it at 16 in a kolsch and have never had such a clean tasting ale. no hints of fruit at all which is what i was going for, but am curious to how low she can be pushed.

Sorry missed this. Lovely. To account for heat generated during fermentation, I'll set the fridge to 11.5 - 12 and she has no trouble kicking off. One of my favourite yeasts. Seeing as how I will have a bit of time this long weekend, I'll be knocking out a dark mild, another alt (just so nice to have on tap) and possibly a belgian golden strong or tripel.

indica86 said:
Recipe: Semtex Pale Ale

0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann)

————————————————————————————-
Hi Indi,

Have you used 4% cararoma much before in a pale ale?

I have found that even at 3% it give's alot of aroma to the beer that kinda gets in the way of the citrusy/floral hops ( not so much with all Dank late hops though ) Its great for a deep red colour but also the malt flavour it imparts is heavy, to me anyways.

Knocked out a Sam Smiths India Ale this morning.
In the FV before lunch, hydro sample crystal clear and tasting good.
This was bloody good last time I made it BIAB and No Chill, now with MT and chiller should be fantastic, can't wait.

Didn't use Northdown for bittering as per recipe last time.
cracked open a new pack this morning, oh my wobbly legs did they smell good.

Pratty1 said:
Have you used 4% cararoma much before in a pale ale?
Hi Pratty.
I regularly use 250g of caraaroma and really enjoy what it brings to heavier beers. That being a pale, it probably isn't really. It came out rather dark which I enjoy too. Probably encroaching on IPA territory,

California Dreaming (West Coast Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 3.9 (EBC): 7.6
Bitterness (IBU): 52.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

48.08% Pilsner
28.85% Vienna
19.23% Torrified Wheat
3.85% Carapils (Dextrine)

0.9 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 64°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Danstar BRY-97

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Back