What Are You Brewing - 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all.
Nice night in ol' melbourne town for a brew.

ESB
62.3% pale
29% maris otter
8.7% medium crystal
25g EKG @ 60
15 EKG @ 30
25 EKG @ 15
31 IBU
4.5 ABV

Irish moss @ 10

18L batch

Drinking a few pints of pale ale kegged a week ago.
Ah the good life hey !?!?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414752233.583466.jpg

CF

Got a bag of elderflowers from a mate at work, so mashing this in now:

Mosaic Elderflower Saison

5.2% - 30 abv

3kg Pale Ale
2kg Pilsner
1kg Wheat

10g Mosaic @ 60 mins

10g Mosaic @ 30 mins

10g Mosaic @ 15 mins

20g Elderflowers @ 5 mins
20g Elderflowers @ dryhop 7 days

Single step @ 66°C 90 mins
Fermented at 20°C with WLP565 - Belgian Saison I

A Wey Pils/Nelson Sauvin SMASH for me this morning.
OG: ~1050. NS @ 60min, 0min and also in the cube, up to 40IBU.
Will ferment using BRY-97 at 18C.

Pratty1 said:
what efficiency did you get with 7kg ? brew house and mash.
Went into the fermenter late last night (from cube). Brew house efficiency a whopping 53%!! Should still make a nice ESB, but as my last ESB used just over 5kg of grain, a little annoying.

That said i remade it today using a reiterated mash, 8.6kg of grain and a 3 hour mash out. boiled down 3l of 1st mash (all MO) to syrup for added caramel/toffee goodness. Ended up with 25l of 1.080 wort into the cube. Mash efficiency was just over 80%, brew house should be good too, but I'll know when I dump the cube into the fermenter in a week or 2

Blind Dog said:
Went into the fermenter late last night (from cube). Brew house efficiency a whopping 53%!! Should still make a nice ESB, but as my last ESB used just over 5kg of grain, a little annoying.
53% is about what I get when its that full. Now if I want a 7% beer or higher its a 5.5kg malt bill, add 400-500g of dextrose and mash at 63c for at least 30mins or use the esky mash tun which is a 50lt so its grain bill can be much higher and runs at 60%.

Got to love a work-imposed 4-day long weekend!

Spiesy's ESB
(BIAB, NC, 70% efficiency)

91.4% Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter
5.7% Simpsons Crystal Medium
1.4% Weyermann CaraPils
1.4% Simpsons Brown Coffee Malt
>> 1050 pre-boil. 1054 OG. 1017 FG
>> 60-min mash @ 67-degrees
>> yeast nutrient, minerals and BrewBrite added.

60g EKG @ 60mins for 32.1IBU
30g EKG @ flame out for 0 IBU (not NC adjusted)
>> 60min boil

WLP005 @ 19-degrees

Day off with SWMBO at work = brew day.

Rotating Hops Ale
90% Simpsons Maris Otter
6% JW Wheat
4% Caraaroma

Mash at 67degC for one Hour

Pre Boil - 1.044, 29L
Boil 90min

20g Pride of Ringwood @ 60min - 21.8 IBU

OG - 1.054

20g - Cascade into cube
20g - Vic Secret into cube

Ferment with re-cultured Coopers Pale Ale Yeast @ 19 degC

Dry Hop with 20g Cascade and 20g Vic Secret for 4 days

Tripel
Equal parts vienna and dingemans pils, equal parts biscuit and aromatic, northern brewer to bitter, styrian and ekg plugs to whirlpool.
Total around 40 ibu. Step and decoction mash, big starter of 1762, dex added in stages at end of ferment. Slight acid adjustment to water, maybe a shade of cal chloride.

TommyC said:
Day off with SWMBO at work = brew day.
Likewise... the missus took herself off for a drawing session in the hills y/day, so I made the kids play outside all day while I brewed. Pity they had to play in the rain for half of it, but they're tough little sh.. people. :)

While the missus is away... American Wheat - 46L
49% Maris Otter
49% Wheat
2% Crystal 30L

Willamette & Cascade with decent late additions for 31 IBU's.

Ended up around 1.048 and will ferment with something neutral like US-05 or MJ West Coast. I did two cubes, so maybe one might get some WB-06 if I can be bothered to spin it up...

Pratty1 said:
53% is about what I get when its that full. Now if I want a 7% beer or higher its a 5.5kg malt bill, add 400-500g of dextrose and mash at 63c for at least 30mins or use the esky mash tun which is a 50lt so its grain bill can be much higher and runs at 60%.
Trying a big grain bill was a useful experiment, but doubt I’ll try it again as the drop in efficiency seems to almost exactly offset the additional grain. Might push it to 6kg one day just to see the difference, but that’ll probably be it.

The reiterated mash appears to be much more effective and the results yesterday were just a shade under what I normally get efficiency wise with a single mash and around 5kg of grain. Not a great deal of extra stuffing around either, as it only added about 30 minutes to my active involvement in the brew day, so could still muck around with my son, take the dogs for a walk etc. whilst the BM was doing its thing. I did sparge each mash with 4l of water (at mash temp for 1st and mashout temp for 2nd) and let each fully drain before moving on and did do a 3 hour final mashout, but long mashouts are fairly standard for me now. Plus the final hydro sample tasted like nectar…

Planning on a big something brew wise sometime again soonish with a reiterated mash and over 5kg grain for each to properly test it out.

Double Brew day yesterday, 4 cubes ready to go when the fermenting fridges are free

Pale Ale
Golden Promise 83%
Wheat Malt 10%
Carahell 5%
Acid malt 2%

55/5, 62/30, 72/30, 78/15
OG 1.050
IBU @ 30 ( all cube hopped )
Cube1 simcoe
Cube2 citra

ESB
Golden Promise 93%
Xtal Dark Bairds 5%
Carahell 2 % My old goto Heritage Xtal seems to be no more which is a bit of a shame

55/5, 65/60, 72/20, 78/15
OG 1.050
Styrian Goldings @ 26.5 IBU 60 minutes
Styrian Goldings @ 5 IBU to each cube

Will try 1469 in one and MJ 07 in the other, ie if I don't succumb to 1469 in both.

On Sat 1 Nov made a new recipe in honor of the first Troop Carriers leaving Australia.

ANZAC Ale - Australian Pale Ale
84% Ale Malt
13% Wheat Malt
3% Medium Crystal

POR @ 45min to 22 IBU
Nelson Sav @ 5min to 5 IBU
Galaxy @ 0min
Nelson @ Day 5 Dry Hop

US-05 at 18C

Only my second BIAB but have high hopes for this one, second time round a lot easier then the first one.

Seamad - I blend equal parts of light, medium and dark simpsons crystal. The result is a fair approximation of heritage.

manticle said:
Seamad - I blend equal parts of light medium and dark si.psons crystal. The result is a fair approximation of heritage.
Cheers mate, will give that a go. Heritage was my favorite xtal, wonder if they stopped making it or the distributors stopped importing it ?

Just had a quick look at simpsons wrbsite and it is not listed in either version of their product catalogue.

Mashed in an APA on Saturday and went to the LHBS to grab yeast and the had no US-05 so bit the bullet and used a Wyeast West Yorkshire 1469 that I had in the fridge. Hope it turns out good.

Cross Bred Ale

5kg JW trad
1.4 kg Munich
250g light crystal
100g caraaroma
10g centennial @ 60
15g centennial @ 15
20g galaxy @ 15
20g motueka @ 15
15g centennial @ 0
20g galaxy @ 0
20g motueka @ 0

Mashed 66 for 90 min
60 min boil

Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire.

OG 1.060
24L in fermenter.

Keeping the alt for the next week or so (considering I already have one fermenting).
Unknown smash today.
5kg schooner
40g@60 of an unknown us hop I got from yob, gratis. Smells like one of the c hops,* no aa.
20g@10
10g@0
1vial of wlp dry english into starter.
Some salts and a hint of lactic, very simple step mash (for me anyway-55/65/72/78), 90 min boil.

*also getting a lot of pineapple from dry pellets, the whirlpoil addition and the apa I'm drinking at the moment (dry hopped with this and styrian) which leads me to believe it might be citra.
Might be a touch more bitter than expected (was estimating 8-9% aa, aiming for 40 ibu) but should be ok for my palate.

seamad said:
Double Brew day yesterday, 4 cubes ready to go when the fermenting fridges are free

Pale Ale
Golden Promise 83%
Wheat Malt 10%
Carahell 5%
Acid malt 2%

55/5, 62/30, 72/30, 78/15
OG 1.050
IBU @ 30 ( all cube hopped )
Cube1 simcoe
Cube2 citra

ESB
Golden Promise 93%
Xtal Dark Bairds 5%
Carahell 2 % My old goto Heritage Xtal seems to be no more which is a bit of a shame

55/5, 65/60, 72/20, 78/15
OG 1.050
Styrian Goldings @ 26.5 IBU 60 minutes
Styrian Goldings @ 5 IBU to each cube

Will try 1469 in one and MJ 07 in the other, ie if I don't succumb to 1469 in both.
Try the MJ07.... I did in an ESB and loved it. Fermented a bit warm, maybe 22c.

MO 96%
Caraaroma 4%
Styrian 45g @ 40min and 50g in the cube for 37ibu (No Chill)

manticle said:
Keeping the alt for the next week or so (considering I already have one fermenting).
Unknown smash today.
5kg schooner
40g@60 of an unknown us hop I got from yob, gratis. Smells like one of the c hops,* no aa.
20g@10
10g@0
1vial of wlp dry english into starter.
Some salts and a hint of lactic, very simple step mash (for me anyway-55/65/72/78), 90 min boil.

*also getting a lot of pineapple from dry pellets, the whirlpoil addition and the apa I'm drinking at the moment (dry hopped with this and styrian) which leads me to believe it might be citra.
Might be a touch more bitter than expected (was estimating 8-9% aa, aiming for 40 ibu) but should be ok for my palate.
Could it be Kohatu? Its a bit on the pineapple side. The desivription going around about Kohatu uses the words "sweaty pineapple pants".

I'm drinking a Kohatu Smash at the moment (also sourced from Yob).

Its nice - but the Koahtu is fairly subtle.

Back