Recipe check (first dark beer)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
I'm yet to brew a dark beer, so I thought I'd plug some numbers into BS.

I'm after a dark beer that doesn't have that burnt taste like a stout, also I would like it to be a bit on the hoppy side.

Pls don't take notice of the Misc ingredients.

I have US-04 on hand, so I'll use that.

The Black Patent is meant to be Midnight wheat.

Also, I have other spec grains on hand.

Munich III
Victory
Light chocolate
Gladiator
Crystal 30 or 40 (not sure)

TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 25.85 l
Post Boil Volume: 23.96 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 32.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 63.9 %
1.00 kg Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC) Grain 2 21.3 %
0.40 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 3 8.6 %
0.15 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 3.2 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 5 2.1 %
0.04 kg Black (Patent) Malt (1080.0 EBC) Grain 6 0.9 %

25.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [4.60 %] - Boil Hop 7 13.8 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [7.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 6.1 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
10.00 g Cascade [7.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 4.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 11 -
0.25 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 12 -
10.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.69 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 12.29 l of water at 75.7 C 68.9 C 45 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 1 steps (18.31l) of 75.6 C water
Notes:
------

Midnight wheat I used recently in a porter I made, I can taste the burnt taste you speak of. Pretty sure I used about 3% but will check when I get home

I've never used, I'm a little cautious of the debittered claims, hoping its good for adding colour.

I've never used, I'm a little cautious of the debittered claims, hoping its good for adding colour.

Just rechecked my recipe seems I used 6.5% in my mash bill
1-2% adds minor colour adjustment with little to no flavour impact in lightly coloured lagers and ales
2-5% adds colour with subtle, very smooth flavour
5-7% adds colour plus hints of a smooth roasted flavour

I think aim for 2-5% might do what your after, If I brew it again id back off to around 3-4%

If you have S-04, cascade, galaxy and EKG think about what beer you want. Do you like English ales, because that would be easiest style with what you have.
If you don't want too much of the "burnt taste":
Pale: 76.5%
Munich ll 12%
Crystal: 8%
Roast: 3.5%

For English style use the EKG for the late additions and cascade for bittering. Casacde all the way to Americanise. Wouldn't use Galaxy personally. Great hop and use it a lot, but EKG is my go to for brown beers...but I do like my English dark ales.

I used a kg of midnight wheat in a black IPA no burnt flavour in it at all. Mind you it took 12mths to become drinkable

Ferkin hell I just had a look at that IPA recipe it had 1.5kg of midnight wheat in it.
4.5kg Pale Malt
1.50kg Midnight Wheat
250gm Choc Malt
150gm Table sugar
Northern Brewer @ 60 min 20gm
Northern Brewer @ 15 min 30gm
Cascade @10 min 25gm
Northern Brewer @5 min 15gm
Cascade @ whirlpool 25gm
WLP001 Cal Ale
OG 1.060
FG 1.020
Alc 5.3%
This ended up to be a very tasty drop .

If I were to make it again I would reduce the Midnight wheat to 300 gm and this would make it plenty black and it would not impart the unwanted burnt or roasted flavours and up the pale malt to around 5kg .This would give alc 5%

Wouldn't use Galaxy personally. Great hop and use it a lot, but EKG is my go to for brown beers...but I do like my English dark ales.

You would be surprised. Holgate in Vic dry hop their ESB with galaxy.....in all honesty it is probably the best ESB that I've ever tasted, especially from their brewpub on handpump

Have to agree with Goatchop41 it is one of the best ESBs I've had and love the Galaxy hop .

Have to agree with Goatchop41 it is one of the best ESBs I've had and love the Galaxy hop .
I agree Galaxy is great hop and I use it a lot in less malt dominant styles. I have used amarillo and it worked well with the malt driven dark beer, so that's why I recommended cascade over galaxy. I thought galaxy wouldn't play as nicely with a malt forward dark ale. Not sure how this morphed into an ESB discussion

I agree Galaxy is great hop and I use it a lot in less malt dominant styles. I have used amarillo and it worked well with the malt driven dark beer, so that's why I recommended cascade over galaxy. I thought galaxy wouldn't play as nicely with a malt forward dark ale. Not sure how this morphed into an ESB discussion
Yeah Amarillo and Cascade in a dark beer works really well it doesn't over power the malt as much as galaxy . Actually this discussion started with a dark ale with hoppy flavour and aroma go figure ?

Just trying to point out that galaxy would be worth a try in a dark ale, as it works well in a dark-ish ESB

Just trying to point out that galaxy would be worth a try in a dark ale, as it works well in a dark-ish ESB
No harm in that for us home brewers that's all part of the experience to try different hops and yeasts with oddball recipes and call it an ESB or American wheat beer or whatever . Brewing beer is always an experiment well at least that is how I see it .

Latest posts

Back