Warning To No Chillers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what cleaners would be most effective on the sort of biofilm you might see in a hb environment? Or is it that once it reaches the second phase it's basically game over?

I've left a fermentor lid in a bucket of iodophor for waaaay too long and pulled it out to find a nice covering of slime. Gave it an almightily clean and thought nothing more of it. I have been having the odd infection lately so I'm swapping everything out, but I wonder if you let you get your equipment to that state is there no recovering?

I also leave sod perc solution in my cubes when not in use, I had doubted that environment would allow any bugs let alone biofilm. Am I kidding myself? (never had an expanding cube btw)

I just vary my Starsan routine every 10 brews or so, and run a Starsan rinse through my equipment at higher than 'no rinse' ratio (much like a proper acid wash). Always after a big dose of PBW, and followed by a dose of SaniClean, a fresh water rinse, and then a 'no rinse' dose of Starsan. This is for all dispense, fermenting and brewing equipment.

Bacteria may survive the same product at the same ratios, but to my mind, a 'strong' dose at regular intervals will do the same as changing sanitisers.

If not, I'm happy to grab some Iodophor and use that brown muck every few brews ;)

Cheers!
I store starsan in my cubes. 2 week soak or so even takes out root beer flavor. Don't tell me it will break down the plastic because this exact container ships muratic acid. The one I did see get eaten was storing peanut oil.

If I find something nasty I will use 1 TBSP Bleach per 1 Gallon of the hottest water you have on tap. fill it half way, use a brush. Or chicken grit, washed sand if you can't get a brush through. Put the lid on and shake that around and upside down. Open it up, fill it to the top. Cap it and leave it for a couple days. Dump, then do a sodium perc/water fill cap and leave a week or so. I use sodium bicarbonate as an alkaline "stink remover".

Is sodium percarbonate the same chemical I buy in bulk to fix the ph in my pool?

I store starsan in my cubes. 2 week soak or so even takes out root beer flavor. Don't tell me it will break down the plastic because this exact container ships muratic acid. The one I did see get eaten was storing peanut oil.

If I find something nasty I will use 1 TBSP Bleach per 1 Gallon of the hottest water you have on tap. fill it half way, use a brush. Or chicken grit, washed sand if you can't get a brush through. Put the lid on and shake that around and upside down. Open it up, fill it to the top. Cap it and leave it for a couple days. Dump, then do a sodium perc/water fill cap and leave a week or so. I use sodium bicarbonate as an alkaline "stink remover".

Is sodium percarbonate the same chemical I buy in bulk to fix the ph in my pool?

I think that is sodium bicarbonate, ie "bicarb" or baking soda, and sodium carbonate, ie "soda ash"

"Sodium percarbonate is a chemical, an adduct of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide (a perhydrate), with formula 2Na2CO3 3H2O2. It is a colorless, crystalline, hygroscopic and water-soluble solid.[1] It is used in some eco-friendly cleaning products and as a laboratory source of anhydrous hydrogen peroxide"

As a chemist friend explained to me, dry hydrogen peroxide ;)

As a chemist friend explained to me, dry hydrogen peroxide ;)

You can use it to oxygenate your wort before adding your yeast.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln

Sim,
Im not saying you need an autoclave for homebrewing but simply that there are plenty of micro-organisms that can survive 100 C and hence an autoclave runs at 121 C for liquid and 130+ for solids.

If HB sanitisers were half as effective as "sprouted" then Im sure that hospitals and laboratories would move to a simple wash and sanitise methodology.

Now, if you have a porous plastic container with a previous infection, unless you clean and THEN autoclave you will see the same infection come back time and time again. This HAS been proven everyday in microbiological laboratories.

Here is some reading for you as a starting place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofilm

cheers

tnd

From John Palmer's howtobrew.com:
**SNIP**
Iodophor:
Iodophor is a solution of iodine complexed with a polymer carrier that is very convenient to use. One tablespoon in 5 gallons of water (15ml in 19 l) is all that is needed to sanitize equipment with a two minute soak time. This produces a concentration of 12.5 ppm of titratable iodine. Soaking equipment longer, for 10 minutes, at the same concentration will disinfect surfaces to hospital standards.
**SNIP**

Latest posts

Back