Victory Malt, Who's Used It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YEAH!!

I may well shamelessly steal that recipe!! Got no golden promise, but i do have simpsons and TF FM MO. Think either will work awesome!!

the stealing of this recipe carries a penalty of 1 longneck :icon_cheers:

So today it was supposed to be carbed up, though on tasting, it seems as though it needs more ( i may have left the IN line off last night haha ). Anyway, its very nice, and im very happy with it. I used some Spec B in the recipe, but i think Victory is the kind of malt that needs showcasing. Next time i think i'd probably just go with choc and Victory, no crystal. This keg wont last too long though!!

Bumpy

I DAS and ended up here, have a 500g bag of Victory that's been hanging around so I'm using 125g today in an English ESB - comes out to about 2.6% of grain bill.

Has anybody else used Victory in English Ales since the end of the original thread (2011) ?

I don't think I've used it since then haha. Definately update us bribie. I think it'll be fine

I use biscuit in most of my UK ales - when I can't get biscuit, I use Victory as a sub.

Unless I am also using aromatic, my standard addition is 250-300g with around 4-5 kg of base. If using aromatic I use half each to hit that amount

Thinking about it I'm sure I still have some left. Out to the brew shed we go!!

Yep. I have. Offers a great slightly savoury background to the esters, in my opinion. Not sure it'll show up much at that percentage. Too much is not good.

donburke said:
i've used victory malt in an english bitter and i love it ...

3% victory
3% special b
96% tffmgp

:drinks:
I always put 102% into every beer I make.

13% should be ok in a porter I think. According to briess specs on their site

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I'm like manticle and usually use some sort of biscuity malt in my UK bitters. I have to say I prefer Simpsons Amber to Victory. They're similar but different, if that makes sense. Having said that, if I couldn't get Amber I'd be more than happy to sub Victory. I don't like to go over 5% Amber in lowish to medium gravity bitters (1.035 - 1.045). It can get a bit overpowering in those sorts of beers.

I've got a cube of ESB that is next in line for ferment, used 10% Victory as CB were out of Biscuit.

The only other beer I've used it in was an IPA, grist of 80% MO / 20% Victory, on tap at the moment and drinking well, tastes just like the version I do with 20% biscuit.

Latest posts

Back