Hi all

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troymatt

Reaction score
Hi all, Troy from Bunbury WA here. I'm pretty new to home brewing. Have roughly 5 extract kit brews under my belt, 3 a few years ago in a Coopers DIY beer kit and more recently 2 kits in an airlock setup.
Deliverence Pale Ale (WA guy) and a HOP Slam Hazy IPA (Coopers recipe). The pale lacked a bit of body and head retention is a not as good as I'd like but it's still young. The Hazy had custom yeast and Matueka Dry Hop, tasted great on bottling day so fingers crossed for that. Im look for ways to improve extract kit brews, and I think it's down to using a different yeast than comes with the kit, and maybe dry hopping as well for aromas and flavours. I've read a little on partial mash as well like steeping some crystal malt, so I'll scour the forum for tips on that. I'm Bottling at the moment but keen to progress to kegs and all grain, probably BIAB first.

I look forward to connect with you guys here.

Welcome Troy!

Ex-Bunbury now Hobart, Tassie, here 🙂

All of your ideas will improve extract kit brews. Also look into partial mashing, I did a kickarse stout in my Bunbury days like that. It started off very rough, but improved a lot with age. The last, drank at 2 years age, was absolutely phenomenal and I wished at the time I had aged a few more!

BIAB need not necessarily be a steppingstone to a kit that costs 1000$$$ and takes up your whole garage. It is a legit brewing method that delivers excellent results. There are good clone recipes for BIAB, and a large stockpot and mesh bag will do ya. I’d rather throw my money at a kegging setup first, and then if I felt BIAB didn’t cut it for me, I’d invest in a 3-vessel or whatever system later on. In the end it is all about enjoying what you do!

Good luck with your journey!

Rocky

Welcome Troy!

Ex-Bunbury now Hobart, Tassie, here 🙂

All of your ideas will improve extract kit brews. Also look into partial mashing, I did a kickarse stout in my Bunbury days like that. It started off very rough, but improved a lot with age. The last, drank at 2 years age, was absolutely phenomenal and I wished at the time I had aged a few more!

BIAB need not necessarily be a steppingstone to a kit that costs 1000$$$ and takes up your whole garage. It is a legit brewing method that delivers excellent results. There are good clone recipes for BIAB, and a large stockpot and mesh bag will do ya. I’d rather throw my money at a kegging setup first, and then if I felt BIAB didn’t cut it for me, I’d invest in a 3-vessel or whatever system later on. In the end it is all about enjoying what you do!

Good luck with your journey!

Rocky
Thanks for the tips Rocky! I'd love to head to Tassie sometime, I hear it's a beautiful part of the world!

Latest posts

Back