VIC-Xmas 2016 Case-Swap Recipe (Cocko's place)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd up the temp a degree or 2. Should have minimal flavour impact now, but may add a few extra esters. Probably no biggie either way once it's chewed through the first 1/2 of its attenuation.
To help it finish off the last few points, though, I'd probably increase the temp a little.

thanks Stu upped temp to 21.5 ...
hopping it doesn't take on that slighty burnt note ..proof will be in the bottle hey

will try and bring a bottle to the swap

No wukkas! From my version, it takes at least 6 months to start hitting its straps. Our clone is not bad until then, just not anything great. Mine is ~5months in the bottle and i think it's *just* starting to balance/mellow out. Admittedly mine is with the WLP-530, so different yeasts would produce different results. I'm definitely bringing a few to the swap, so it'll be mighty interesting to compare everyone's versions.

hey stu
seems mine has staled at 1.020 ..should I re pitch at this point ..dam I wanted to bottle it this weekend
temp was sitting sitting on 21.5

Bugger, bugger, bugger!!!
1.020 is definitely a bit too high. Mine finished at 1.010-11, but should've finished ~1.013. So i assume it's definitely tasting a bit too sweet? If you could get it down to, say, 1.015 that should be fine.
How long has it sat at 1.020?

Have you tried rousing the yeast with a bit of stirring, etc?
If not, i'd try that. Sterilize your spoon carefully, of course, but it should be easy and safe. Hopefully that might wake it up and knock off a few more points. (Also, just giving it an extra week if it's only ~2 weeks in).

The next step is a bit/lot trickier, if the rousing fails.
Re-pitching yeast is a bit more complicated than normal, as this beer not just has some alcohol in it to start with (that'll shock the yeast), but a LOT of alcohol in it.
You could try just tipping in a packet of something, like Belle Saison or Notto, but there's a good chance it'll either die or just take a really long time to ferment it out (as there's only initially a small amount of yeast in a little packet).
Ideally you need to quickly whip up a starter of whatever yeast you choose (so you could also use a liquid for this if you wanted - basically pick something that will handle high alcohol content). This is to both build up numbers, but get the yeast used to an environment with alcohol in it.
Ideally you might do 2 starters, one to get it going and build up some numbers, the second to build up the alcohol a bit further. But that's probably too much faffing around (& time lost!).
I'm thinking you might be able to do you starter, then add some more DME+water (boiled & cooled) to that starter once it's gotten through the first lot of sugarz to crank up the booze level and condition the yeast that way. Obviously the 2nd addition would need to be concentrated otherwise you simply increase the volume without increasing the alc%.

If that all sounds too much, simply do a single starter and toss it in and hope for the best.
Obviously once the starter is fermented out, you'd chill and decant off most of the liquid, then stir and toss in the yeasty fraction.

How's all that sound?

ok ...gone for the sterilized spoon option first ..stirred vigorously for 5 minutes ,will check gravity Friday morning ,heres hoping

Worst case Mick use two packs of Belle Saison and rehydrate it. I don't think that beast would die and should finish the batch off!

Add some brettanomyces Mick...that'll dry it out

Booooooooooooo!
That's really strange Mick, 3787 (apparently the equivalent) is a beast and has messed up a few fridges on me. Mine made it to 1.007 so yours should be in that ball park. If the spoon doesn't work consider racking, I've read that's worked for a few people here on the forum. How much yeast did you pitch? Stir plate, fresh yeast, nutrient etc?

Entered this in vicbrew. Fermented it with Wyeast 3739 Flanders golden ale yeast and added about a kg of the candi syrup we got from the swap in 2 additions near the end of ferment.
Scored 38, 34 and 33 (105 total). Below is the best scoring sheet.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1505806389.291466.jpg

There was about 4 absolutely delicious Belgian dark strongs we got to taste in the bar as stewards and one scored lower than a couple others yet was the top pick between the stewards, maybe it was your one!!! [emoji481]

My W12 still hasn't carbed since April in the bottle, granted warmer weather is coming and it may kick in to life but doubtful. How risky is seeding the bottle with a sterile syringe of yeast slurry? Ie. uncap, drop of yeast in and recap?

I'd give it a go on a few bottles and see if it works. Can't see there would be problem. Mine took ages to carb. Bottled 2nd of Jan and they are probably still under carbed for the style. I'm going to re-seed a RIS that I'll bottle tomorrow with 1ml of rehydrated yeast using a 1ml pipette. It's been in secondary on oak for 2 months.

Drinking this after the 1L Paulaner Octoberfest Bier, it seemed right when I grabbed the bottle :oops: This is at shed temp around 12-14c and the malt is just diabolical, probably should have chilled a little, but **** it's a great beer. Well done techno!!

Might be a little late to the party but..

Finally got round to kegging this. Nice.

Attachments

• 20210925_173323.jpg
    20210925_173323.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back