VIC-Xmas 2016 Case-Swap Recipe (Cocko's place)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's on the forum in one of the previous swap recipe threads. But Martin may kindly share again. Could have sworn he PM'd me it also but I can't find it. Didn't save it in my recipe folder on computer either but I will this time! It was fantastic.
You should open that bottle and try next chance you get. It'd be amazing now!!!

Sorry, guys. It has more than 3 malts in the recipe, so according to "ahem" :ph34r: case-swap protocol, it's a no-go.

I'm happy to share the Porter recipe (in its many guises) with anyone who wants it. No joke, it's far & away the most complicated recipe I've ever done & it works, but probably not a case-swap jobbie.

MartinOC said:
Ah, come on Mardoo.....Ever heard of Deep Purple??

Gillan, Whitesnake & Rainbow were all off-shoots.

'Saw Gillan live a couple of times in the early '80's. AWESOME!!
My son sent me to a vinyl record store near my work for him last week.

I unknowingly picked him up a Gillan album "Futureshock" for $5 - I didnt know what it was, I liked the cover art and he said look for anything 70-80 era hair metal.

He was happy with my choice..

Now you've given him the gateway drug. Next thing you know it'll be prog.

And Martin, somehow I've listened to plenty of Rainbow and Whitesbake while being completely ignorant of Gillan.

Just thought I would add some logic to the conversation. The number of grains in a brew will not make it more or less complicated to brew on brew day. Unless you add things like oats (Jesse?)... Whether a brew with multiple grains (3+) is desirable to the average punter is a different train of thought.

My other thought is that maybe we could ask Cocko what he would like to brew?

I must say I am with grainer. Often it is fun to do something extreme, as we don't often do it at home and it makes for good case swap war stories and reminiscing.

Don't bring logic into this Idzy!

Logic has kept us up on Friday nights at past swaps for hours and hours. It has no place here ;)

idzy said:
Just thought I would add some logic to the conversation. The number of grains in a brew will not make it more or less complicated to brew on brew day. Unless you add things like oats (Jesse?)... Whether a brew with multiple grains (3+) is desirable to the average punter is a different train of thought.

My other thought is that maybe we could ask Cocko what he would like to brew?

I must say I am with grainer. Often it is fun to do something extreme, as we don't often do it at home and it makes for good case swap war stories and reminiscing.
What about Rye. That will put an onion in your ointment.

My 2c. I don't care about grain but it needs more hops.

Nullnvoid said:

Logic has kept us up on Friday nights at past swaps for hours and hours. It has no place here ;)
Well that and RIS, no complaints though.

Nullnvoid said:

Bahaha, I'm sorry for the way my brain works. I really am. On another note Russ, we used buckets at the last swap...totally uninitiated by me...

@ Idzy's post:
Agree
Agree
Neutral

For me, the drive to KISS was more for reliability of the recipe, rather than the brewing process. So if there's a good recipe with 20 malts in it i'll be happy as a pig in poo. If we're making up the recipe, it might be prudent to stick to KISS depending on the style we go with.

I was thinking that this morning - why don't we see what the host would like to do? Maybe that can help decide the style, at least.

Pro's & Con's with extreme. Great & memorable if it works. Massive cock-up with time & result if it doesn't.
Mind you, what constitutes extreme? The Wee Heavy was a little extreme, and that was 2-3 malts with a side boil & went fairly smoothly. If extreme is simply truckloads of hops, then it's more a matter of organising supply and covering the cost.

As stated, i'd happily go with either a Porter/Stout recipe or the Paler thing DJ & I suggested early on.
TBH, it sounds like we may end up doing something like Martin's Caledonian Porter - more complicated recipe, has a caramelisation side-boil, can be made more or less hoppy in the cube. Ticks most boxes.

And (s)he who suggests Rye or Oats manages the Mash.
Maybe THAT can be one of the CSB Regulations*

*CSB= Case Swap Brew :)

idzy said:
Bahaha, I'm sorry for the way my brain works. I really am. On another note Russ, we used buckets at the last swap...totally uninitiated by me...
Hahah, bet you were just grinning from ear to ear hey! That's funny

And don't apologise, it's kept me more than entertained, funny shit :)

Maybe we need to start a list of who wants what:

Techno - Saison/Kolsch, Porter/Stout, Hoppy thing, (Anything really)
DJ - Kolsch
Grainer - DIPA/Pliny, Complicated thing
Idzy - DIPA/Pliny, Complicated thing
Mayor - Hoppy
Cocko - ....

So feel free to cut/paste the list & add/change to it.

Actually, a better way to do it and encourage everyone to put their 2c in:

Cubists
1. Cocko - ...
2. Idzy - DIPA/Pliny, Complicated thing
3. Technobabble66 - Saison/Kolsch, Porter/Stout, Hoppy thing, (Anything really)
4. AJ80
5.VP Brewing
6. Grainer - DIPA/Pliny, Complicated thing
7. Nullnvoid
8. DJ_L3THAL - Kolsch
9. Micbrew
10. JB
11. MartinOC
12. Black n Tan
13. Mofox1
14. breakbeer
15.Whiteferret
16. Mudd
17. GrumpyPaul
18. Camo6
19. Yob
20. Siborg
21. Midnight brew
22. Mardoo

Reserve cubists
1. TheWiggman
2. Jburke
3. mmmyummybeer
4. mayor of milder - Moar hoppy.
5. awesome fury
6. malt junkie
7. WarmBeer
8. droid
9. Reardo
10. thearn

idzy said:
Haha... there was a need and it was most easily filled (lol) by a bucket. Didn't know it was going to cause such a commotion! :)

Actually, a better way to do it and encourage everyone to put their 2c in:

Cubists
1. Cocko - ...
2. Idzy - DIPA/Pliny, Complicated thing
3. Technobabble66 - Saison/Kolsch, Porter/Stout, Hoppy thing, (Anything really)
4. AJ80
5.VP Brewing - DIPA/Pliny, Complicated thing. Happy to get my hands dirty and help out with the brew on the day this time if needed. It might distract me from getting shitfaced by lunchtime and being in bed at 9....
6. Grainer - DIPA/Pliny, Complicated thing
7. Nullnvoid
8. DJ_L3THAL - Kolsch
9. Micbrew
10. JB
11. MartinOC
12. Black n Tan
13. Mofox1
14. breakbeer
15.Whiteferret
16. Mudd
17. GrumpyPaul