VIC-Xmas 2016 Case-Swap Recipe (Cocko's place)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cubists
1. Cocko - ...
2. Idzy - DIPA/Pliny, Complicated thing
3. Technobabble66 - Saison/Kolsch, Porter/Stout, Hoppy thing, (Anything really)
4. AJ80
5.VP Brewing - DIPA/Pliny, Complicated thing. Happy to get my hands dirty and help out with the brew on the day
6. Grainer - DIPA/Pliny, Complicated thing
7. Nullnvoid
8. DJ_L3THAL - Kolsch
9. Micbrew
10. JB
11. MartinOC
12. Black n Tan
13. Mofox1 - OC Caledonian Porter
14. breakbeer
15.Whiteferret
16. Mudd
17. GrumpyPaul
18. Camo6
19. Yob
20. Siborg
21. Midnight brew
22. Mardoo - OC Caledonian Porter

Reserve cubists
1. TheWiggman
2. Jburke
3. mmmyummybeer
4. mayor of milder - Moar hoppy.
5. awesome fury
6. malt junkie
7. WarmBeer - Gruit
8. droid
9. Reardo
10. thearn

Abbreviated you a bit VP :)

Cubists
1. Cocko - ...
4. AJ80
5.VP Brewing - DIPA/Pliny, Complicated thing. Happy to get my hands dirty and help out with the brew on the day
7. Nullnvoid - SMASH, just kidding, happy with whatever, after all, it's all beer right? who's with me?
8. DJ_L3THAL - Kolsch
9. Micbrew
10. JB
11. MartinOC
12. Black n Tan
14. breakbeer
15.Whiteferret
16. Mudd
17. GrumpyPaul
18. Camo6
19. Yob
20. Siborg
21. Midnight brew
22. Mardoo - OC Caledonian Porter

Reserve cubists
1. TheWiggman
2. Jburke
3. mmmyummybeer
4. mayor of milder - Moar hoppy.
5. awesome fury
6. malt junkie
7. WarmBeer - Gruit
8. droid
9. Reardo
10. thearn

It might also be worth mentioning if there's anything someone DOESN'T want.

"eg: Complicated, but prefer dark to pale." etc

ie: merely saying anything "complicated" could be either pale or dark. And not everyone is equally keen on dark ales as paler ones. Or vice versa.
Suggesting this as currently "complicated" may well be a vote for the OC Caledonian Porter...
If you're happy either way, then leave as is, i s'pose.

Not getting a lot of emotional support for my Gruit, am I? :(

Is the 6th reservist on the B-list even entitled an opinion, anyway? Carry on...

Care less about the complicated and more about the extreme and infamous...

Let me throw some mud against the wall...

Russian River Pliny the Elder
Russian River Damnation
Westvleteren 12
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
Brew Dog Tactical Nuclear Penguin (just kidding...)
Founders Brewing KBS
Tree House Brewing Company Good Morning
The Alchemist Heady Topper

Idzy

Got any recipes for those (other than Pliny, of course)?

I've got "the" Westvleteren 12 clone recipe, i believe, from BottomsUp on HBT - it's what commonly seems to be referred to as the best one on the forums. Happy to be corrected.
I'd be happy to try that. Though i think it'll be pushing it too far - it's 11%, and uses a fair chunk of D90 & D180 Candi Syrup at the end of the boil. Not impossible but everyone would want to be keen to do the extra steps (& cash) involved. One hurdle that seems apparent is the issue with the yeast - it looks like oxygenation is a big issue for these super big belgians.

I've got Westlveteren 8, Nostradamus, Westmalle, Chimay Red & Chimay Blue clone recipes from CSI also, if we're keen to go down that track. We could avoid the Syrup during the boil and add it during fermentation. That way people can decide for themselves if they want to go down that path (& expense). I'd be keen for any of these!

However, we'll need some recipes for those other hoppy suggestions, Idzy.

Edit: added link to the W12 clone recipe

technobabble66 said:

I've got "the" Westvleteren 12 clone recipe, i believe, from BottomsUp on HBT - it's what commonly seems to be referred to as the best one on the forums. Happy to be corrected.
I'd be happy to try that. Though i think it'll be pushing it too far - it's 11%, and uses a fair chunk of D90 & D180 Candi Syrup at the end of the boil. Not impossible but everyone would want to be keen to do the extra steps (& cash) involved. One hurdle that seems apparent is the issue with the yeast - it looks like oxygenation is a big issue for these super big belgians.

I've got Westlveteren 8, Nostradamus, Westmalle, Chimay Red & Chimay Blue clone recipes from CSI also, if we're keen to go down that track. We could avoid the Syrup during the boil and add it during fermentation. That way people can decide for themselves if they want to go down that path (& expense). I'd be keen for any of these!

Maybe we could do a side brew of syrup? :)

Whatcha mean?

A caramelisation boil? - you have to do that with the W12 as well ;)

If you mean to do all that, plus make the syrup on the spot? - good luck to you with that one!
I've done a bit of syrup making and there's nooooo way i'd attempt it on this scale. The larger size actually makes the temp control easier, but if we started to get a boil-over it could get out of control very quickly. Also the decision of how to cook it and when to stop boiling will be very very very tricky. I could confidently say i'll need a few attempts to get close to the D180 colour without just burning the hell out of it. There's a fine line in my experience, and it's hard to avoid a sharpness in the homemade stuff.

The bottom line is, if we want to do something huge like W12, i wouldn't want to risk it by using a homemade batch of syrup that's almost certainly going to be nowhere near as good as real D180. I'll certainly make my own syrup for my batch, but i would not want to be responsible for everyone else's.

Having said all that, my Dubbel (done with 1kg of homemade syrup) is ageing up very nicely B)

If everyone decided "wtf, let's just have a crack with the knowledge it'll probably **** up", then why the hell not. But i'm pretty sure that's not going to get the majority vote :)
I s'pose we could maybe give it a crack & if it looks dodgy then don't use it and just wrap the brew up as per normal.

idzy said:
Maybe we could do a side brew of syrup? :)
just chuck it in the cubes directly. Boiling it for a few minutes is probably safest but I have used it many times directly into the fermenter.

This is a Westy 12 clones I have made (adopted from Candisyrup.com) and it is excellent.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Westvleteren 12
Brewer: Grant
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Post Boil Volume: 26.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.092 SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 66.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
25.00 l Melbourne Water Water 1 -
5.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
5.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 3 -
4.85 kg Pilsner (Dingemans) (3.2 EBC) Grain 4 53.5 %
2.77 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 5 30.5 %
0.18 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 2.0 %
22.00 g Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 23.2 IBUs
28.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] - Boil Hop 8 6.1 IBUs
28.00 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 15.0 mi Hop 9 7.1 IBUs
4.00 g Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 11 -
5.00 g Baking Soda (Boil 0.0 mins) Water Agent 12 -
1.0 pkg Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787 Yeast 13 -
1.0 kg (in fermenter) Candi Sugar Syrup, Dark 2 (197.0 EBC) Sugar 14 13.9 %

Mash
----------------------------
Name Description
Sacch 1 65.0 C 70 min
Alpha Amylase72.0 C 20 min
Mash Out 76.0 C 10 min

mayor of mildura said:
What about Rye. That will put an onion in your ointment.

My 2c. I don't care about grain but it needs more hops.
rye tends to clog things up..not a good choice due to its oiliness

idzy said:
Care less about the complicated and more about the extreme and infamous...

Let me throw some mud against the wall...

Russian River Pliny the Elder
Russian River Damnation
Westvleteren 12
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
Brew Dog Tactical Nuclear Penguin (just kidding...)
Founders Brewing KBS
Tree House Brewing Company Good Morning
The Alchemist Heady Topper

Idzy
technobabble66 said:

I reckon we sort out the type of brew first, then work out recipe. There are recipes available for all of them. I have some in BeerSmith, but not on me.

Black n Tan said:
This is a Westy 12 clones I have made (adopted from Candisyrup.com) and it is excellent.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Westvleteren 12
Brewer: Grant
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Post Boil Volume: 26.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.092 SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 66.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
25.00 l Melbourne Water Water 1 -
5.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
5.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 3 -
4.85 kg Pilsner (Dingemans) (3.2 EBC) Grain 4 53.5 %
2.77 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 5 30.5 %
0.18 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 2.0 %
22.00 g Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 23.2 IBUs
28.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] - Boil Hop 8 6.1 IBUs
28.00 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 15.0 mi Hop 9 7.1 IBUs
4.00 g Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 11 -
5.00 g Baking Soda (Boil 0.0 mins) Water Agent 12 -
1.0 pkg Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787 Yeast 13 -
1.0 kg (in fermenter) Candi Sugar Syrup, Dark 2 (197.0 EBC) Sugar 14 13.9 %

Mash
----------------------------
Name Description
Sacch 1 65.0 C 70 min
Alpha Amylase72.0 C 20 min
Mash Out 76.0 C 10 min
Looks amaze-balls.

In my mind, OATS and RYE are not out of the question as well.. it just takes being a little smarter and co-ordinating the mashes and introducing the oats into a selected mash run with rice hulls.. mistakes have been made in the past that have tainted the experience. I don't mind what we brew as long as it reflects good brewing practices and at least some sort of challenge and thinking outside the box and produces a beer that we would not normally brew.. if you want a normal base beer, you can always to a U brew It and get their base beer with some grain additions and adjuncts.. IMO (in my opinion) ....I don't see it the place for a Case swap.. Totally IMO.. of course and only reflects my thoughts on the whole thing.. People will have differing views of course.

Even a Berliner Weisse has great merit for a brew like this.. Take home unfermented wort.. sour it however you want.. then boil and ferment however you want then add in secondary and tertiary flavouring if wanted to what ever you want..the world is your oyster... thats huge variation and giving guys a huge opportunity to experiment and step out of their comfort zone/

The Piny is an AWESOME beer and the best we have brewed to date.. I am actually surprised Adam agrees with me on the whole subject as I tend to be more controversial apparently.. KISS done not always work and does not alway produce the best outcomes. I like Adams suggestions... he is on the same track as me I think his suggestions typify what I would like to brew.. get out of your box and start experimenting and make this a real worthwhile beer to brew and a real experience to enjoy on the day.... we have a resource of over 20 brewers involved with some that have specialties in certain areas and can add HUGE value to make ANYTHING work .. even if it is 80% OATS!

Grainer said:
.... we have a resource of over 20 drunken brewers involved with some that have specialties in falling over certain areas and can add HUGE F&*K UPS to make ANYTHING a complete schemozzle .. even if it is 80% OATS!
FTFY

:D

Grainer said:
The brewers tend to be more sober in my experience that the crowds
Ah, I know which role I shall be playing on the day.

My vote is for a roggenbier...with extra roggen. Seriously, what could go wrong?
20160711_115638 (1280x720).jpg
^That is from last weeks brew. 20% rye, milled fine, in an APA cum IPA. Was in one of those "the rules don't apply to me" moods. Continual stuck mash and sparge. Temps all over the shop. Ended up scooping out the MT and recircing the wort through another 5kg of grain to clear it up a bit. Went into the kettle looking like cream of celery soup but came out clear as a bell. Efficiency was awesome... <_<
20160711_171807 (1280x720).jpg

I'm with the big fella on this. Something complicated, something big, something memorable. I rarely get the time to brew simple APA's to keep the fridge stocked let alone a quality high ABV to age and enjoy. Admittedly, I haven't gotten along to many of these but if my vote counts, I vote big. Just without the fucken rye.

Cubists

1. Cocko - ...
4. AJ80
7. Nullnvoid - SMASH, just kidding, happy with whatever, after all, it's all beer right? who's with me?
8. DJ_L3THAL - Kolsch
9. Micbrew
10. JB - DIPA/Pliny, Complicated thing
11. MartinOC
12. Black n Tan
14. breakbeer
15.Whiteferret
16. Mudd
17. GrumpyPaul
18. Camo6
19. Yob