Ultratap versus Intertap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not a bad beer ... (@ four weeks ...)

20180809_193954 (Custom).jpg

[Edit] - sorry. that was off topic ...

Last edited:
I'm going to dip my toe into what seems some turbulent water ... I'm a new member here, and will probably run the risk of getting smacked over the nose with a rolled up newspaper as Thurston was earlier ... I'm in the process of moving from bottling to kegging. I'm making some reasonably acceptable extract beers. My mate at work and me trade bottles and really enjoy the mate-ship of making beer ...

Us new guys (well, I should speak for myself) depend on you experienced guys for "expert" advice ... (and the assistance has been fantastic - thank you!) You guys have been doing this for years - If i cant find an answer to a question here, I rely on my LHBS. I don't have any other choice...

Ultra / Inter tap ? does it really matter that much - to me they seem equally good. You blokes are behaving like arsehats and are adding no value to the forum at all. I have no idea if my choice of Ultratap is good or not - after three pages of bullshit, I guess I'll find out with experience. It's a significant investment to get into kegging - I'm almost there.

If we talk customer service between kegland & keg king - kegland are winning. I ordered my kegs on a Wednesday (Melb to Bris) - they were here on Monday.

KK, I ordered my taps last week, they only got to the courier today and had issues with my direct bank deposit ...

End rant ...

Q
One thing all of the posters here seem to miss is that the Ultra Tap has its three PATENT NUMBERS clearly marked on there so why would that be if it was not real? Notice that “Intertaps” do not. Go figure .......You can google the numbers

I'm actually curious whether the shuttle, lever and seals are interchangeable between the two taps...

Already know that they cannot interchange nozzles. Think its becoming clearer which one is real

I'm going to dip my toe into what seems some turbulent water ... I'm a new member here, and will probably run the risk of getting smacked over the nose with a rolled up newspaper as Thurston was earlier ... I'm in the process of moving from bottling to kegging. I'm making some reasonably acceptable extract beers. My mate at work and me trade bottles and really enjoy the mate-ship of making beer ...

Us new guys (well, I should speak for myself) depend on you experienced guys for "expert" advice ... (and the assistance has been fantastic - thank you!) You guys have been doing this for years - If i cant find an answer to a question here, I rely on my LHBS. I don't have any other choice...

Ultra / Inter tap ? does it really matter that much - to me they seem equally good. You blokes are behaving like arsehats and are adding no value to the forum at all. I have no idea if my choice of Ultratap is good or not - after three pages of bullshit, I guess I'll find out with experience. It's a significant investment to get into kegging - I'm almost there.

If we talk customer service between kegland & keg king - kegland are winning. I ordered my kegs on a Wednesday (Melb to Bris) - they were here on Monday.

KK, I ordered my taps last week, they only got to the courier today and had issues with my direct bank deposit ...

End rant ...

Q
In reality no one knows if either are good or not .... they are new to the market (the intertap has been rejigged). And guys saying hey I just bought one they're so fantastic, means little, as most taps are pretty good out of the box, if the finish quality is up to scratch, which in the past was never really an issue until the intertap (and/or imitations there of). The quality of a tap shows in it's longevity and how it continues to pour at 50-75% seal life, all taps will at some point need a rekit of seals. How long the seals last have varying factors but mainly: how roughly they're used, how regularly they are cleaned and with what, and design. Each keg (corny) you'll open and close the tap somewhere around 100 times, if a tap is truely crap like some of the cheapy ebay ones, by keg 10 you'll have issues and by keg 10 you should have run cleaner through it 10 times and be pulling it down for it's second service. Commercially a tap would see more than 100 times the work between cleans and services.
My FC perlics (i hate BTW) have after 3 years just had new kits put through them. I got this particular set shortly after they'd been released and FC was all the crazy. Yes I would buy Perlic again just not flow control. And I will try all three on my keezer, even if I end up hating all of them, I'll always have four Andale taps to pour from on the keggerator.
And I have no idea what stamping a number on a tap has anything to do with it's quality, maybe it's a new fad, not something Andale or Bracton do.

In reality no one knows if either are good or not .... they are new to the market (the intertap has been rejigged). And guys saying hey I just bought one they're so fantastic, means little, as most taps are pretty good out of the box, if the finish quality is up to scratch, which in the past was never really an issue until the intertap (and/or imitations there of). The quality of a tap shows in it's longevity and how it continues to pour at 50-75% seal life, all taps will at some point need a rekit of seals. How long the seals last have varying factors but mainly: how roughly they're used, how regularly they are cleaned and with what, and design. Each keg (corny) you'll open and close the tap somewhere around 100 times, if a tap is truely crap like some of the cheapy ebay ones, by keg 10 you'll have issues and by keg 10 you should have run cleaner through it 10 times and be pulling it down for it's second service. Commercially a tap would see more than 100 times the work between cleans and services.
My FC perlics (i hate BTW) have after 3 years just had new kits put through them. I got this particular set shortly after they'd been released and FC was all the crazy. Yes I would buy Perlic again just not flow control. And I will try all three on my keezer, even if I end up hating all of them, I'll always have four Andale taps to pour from on the keggerator.
And I have no idea what stamping a number on a tap has anything to do with it's quality, maybe it's a new fad, not something Andale or Bracton do.
I think it means they have patents on them.

Further to this yes you had made maybe only five post on this forum, one of them the most racist I have seen here in 4 or 5 years, directly aimed at one of the retailers/manufacturers selling the equipment being discussed in this very thread. You want to feel welcomed and included perhaps the best way to start that journey is to do the same for others. And you like to state you have no particular axe to grind. Your claim of innocence looks pretty thin.

Thurston, me, has never made a racist statement on any forum. Ever.

Please let me know what you think I said that was racist in the very few posts I have ever made here? Give me dates, time, post with the exact wording that I was alleged to have made... I expect this will be pretty easy for you to do....or ask a moderator, as I expect you're VERY familiar/close with who they are.

Get back to me. Or quit your bullshit. Both would be fine. Don't try to bring in some false accusation of racism to end a discussion on beer taps.

Please let me know what you think I said that was racist in the very few posts I have ever made here? Give me dates, time, post with the exact wording that I was alleged to have made... I expect this will be pretty easy for you to do....or ask a moderator, as I expect you're VERY familiar/close with who they are.

Get back to me. Or quit your bullshit. Both would be fine. Don't try to bring in some false accusation of racism to end a discussion on beer taps.
Sorry.
Sincerely Apologise, but I think you can see how easy it is to confuse 2 new users who have bought their very first beer tap, and yet equally know so so much, about tap quality, and longevity of of those taps having poured what maybe 100 beers in their lives?
But your comments show your actually no newb.
Go look up the moderators list.
How many handles you have WEAL?

Seeing as we are in a thread about taps, I presume you mean tap handles I have 2 and one hand pump.
I think you should settle down and stop throwing accusations around about anyone who has a preference to other suppliers bar KegLand or just drop the 'mash' from your moniker.

End rant ...

Q
Looking at pictures, they look pretty much identical, except for the o-rings and the inside bit. I don't know what the difference is with the inside bit being a different shape. I'd guess **** all.
The V1 intertap had o-rings like the Ultratap. They replaced these with the plastic ones in later versions, because apparently it's better. If they're the same price, I'd get the Intertap because of this update (and as I'll say below).
Either way, you're probably fine. Will be better than the $30 brumby-style taps
Worst case if the Ultratap sucks, you can buy an intertap seal kit for like $5 and change the o-rings over yourself. They'll probably fit.

My experience with the people at keg king is that they don't know much about home brew or what they're selling. I just go in there to buy some specialty grains and have stopped asking them questions because they couldn't really answer anything.
Eg. I asked them what is the shortest length beer line I can get with a FC tap? They had no idea, but guessed you could use any length whatsoever as long as it reached the keg (which, after listening to them and setting everything up, blatantly isn't true)

Cf. Kegland, you ask the same question and get a knowledgeable response not only about FC taps, the length you need, but also that they're looking into making disconnects with a FC at the disconnect level to stop issues with turbulence created by FC taps.

This is only my anecdotal experience and not gospel, but it's why I'd get the intertap.

Last edited:
Seeing as we are in a thread about taps, I presume you mean tap handles I have 2 and one hand pump.
I think you should settle down and stop throwing accusations around about anyone who has a preference to other suppliers bar KegLand or just drop the 'mash' from your moniker.
Of course mate your the second highest poster on here.
You are sooooo knowledgeable.
In which case you'd know I can't edit my name.
And I'm not the one banned from a thread for continually bashing kegland (or anyone else)you are, I just like poking holes in your one eye KK supporters party. As much as you'd like to fill the shoes of those who are no longer here, and make a big name for yourself as some all knowing beer guru. If you were, you'd know the proof in equipment such as being discussed in this thread is how it perform 12mths or more down the track, which you've had ample opportunity to state as I have done. And in essence that ends the discussion with watch this space until the taps have done the miles.
Your no beer guru.
But hell your not bad in the garden.

Please let me know what you think I said that was racist in the very few posts I have ever made here?
I think he got you confused with this guy who appeared to be implying not to buy from kegland because of kee's ethnicity. Either that or it was a really bad joke, i dunno...
Regardless of who's side you're on in this saga, i think we can agree any racist shit can **** right off.

Good grief, why the fvck do we need sides? They're just bloody taps. They're almost identical in construction and price, probably made in the same factory - just pick one, use it and report back about how much you love it.

(and how long the seals do or don't last)

Good grief, why the fvck do we need sides? They're just bloody taps. They're almost identical in construction and price, probably made in the same factory - just pick one, use it and report back about how much you love it.

(and how long the seals do or don't last)
mate this thread is so much drama i don't even need to leave work early to watch bold and the beautiful

Back in the day when there were mods on this forum this thread would've been locked long ago.

Lax has it right though, great source of drama. What do you get when a troll encounters another troll?

7 generations of the Ford Falcon.
And they're still shit. Lol.

There's a lot of pointless bullshit in this thread. I have Perlick flow controls and they've been fuckin fantastic in the almost 3 years I've had them. Just because someone else doesn't like them doesn't mean they're shit taps, and just because I like them doesn't mean they're the best thing ever either. They work well for my needs with so far no real maintenance other than cleaning them regularly, and that's all that matters. If someone else wants to use an Intertap or an Ultratap or a cheap plastic piece of shit party tap, that's their business. As long as the beer pours how you want it, who gives a shit? The vast majority of us aren't running commercial operations so that's irrelevant anyway. If the tap constantly fucks up pretty much from day one then you just replace it with better quality, get your money back or whatever. It's not rocket surgery.

Back in the day when there were mods on this forum this thread would've been locked long ago.

Lax has it right though, great source of drama. What do you get when a troll encounters another troll?
AHHH so it's true I AM close friends with all the Moderators.
Bloody knew I had friends somewhere on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back