Tonic Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys - possibly not worth it.

I had a post-immune reaction which caused my platelets count to drop to 4 (normal is 200 to 400). The post immune reaction was a result of being hit by two kinds of glandular fever (I didn't even notice them) in less than six months, according to the blood work.

It was exacerbated by tonic water according the to the Prof at Price of Wales - I had been having three or four G&T every couple of days for the previous few weeks prior to noticing something was wrong (peeing blood).

He noted that consuming large amounts of tonic water can cause the platelet drop condition on its own. Wet purpura (blood pooling in small spots, visible at the wrists and ankles and elsewhere) and the risk of bleeding to death from a fall exceeds my desire for a truly great G&T. If steroid and gammaglobulin therapy fails to shutdown and restart the immune system correctly, it's time for a spleenectomy. I recovered fine in four days but was forbidden to leave the house for two weeks after that.

Just be very, very careful on the quinine dose if you succeed in this project.

Beer, anyone?

Cheers - Fermented.

holy sh*t. dude hope you recover. hmmm me thinks this i not a ood projevt to pursue but then agin i still drink 4 1.25L bottles a week. maybe i should switch to mineral water.

its a prohibited imprt due to the fact its too hard to make pest free, they dotn acre abotu the controlled substance side of it, its being destroyed.

holy sh*t. dude hope you recover. hmmm me thinks this i not a ood projevt to pursue but then agin i still drink 4 1.25L bottles a week. maybe i should switch to mineral water.
Recovered fine. This was a few years ago, but have been warned to stay off the tonic water. I like keeping my internal organs internal.

Cheers - Fermented.

its a prohibited imprt due to the fact its too hard to make pest free, they dotn acre abotu the controlled substance side of it, its being destroyed.
Can't you just get it irradiated and then receive it?

Wont be cheap.

Guys - possibly not worth it.

I had a post-immune reaction which caused my platelets count to drop to 4 (normal is 200 to 400). The post immune reaction was a result of being hit by two kinds of glandular fever (I didn't even notice them) in less than six months, according to the blood work.

It was exacerbated by tonic water according the to the Prof at Price of Wales - I had been having three or four G&T every couple of days for the previous few weeks prior to noticing something was wrong (peeing blood).

He noted that consuming large amounts of tonic water can cause the platelet drop condition on its own. Wet purpura (blood pooling in small spots, visible at the wrists and ankles and elsewhere) and the risk of bleeding to death from a fall exceeds my desire for a truly great G&T. If steroid and gammaglobulin therapy fails to shutdown and restart the immune system correctly, it's time for a spleenectomy. I recovered fine in four days but was forbidden to leave the house for two weeks after that.

Just be very, very careful on the quinine dose if you succeed in this project.

Beer, anyone?

Cheers - Fermented.
That's hectic!
Definately a substance not to be taken lightly.

I recall hearing somewhere, that quinine glows in UV light. That kinda freaks me out enough to be cautious of drinking tonic water to begin with!

Yes, it does... that's one of the things that got me hooked on G&T at the old "Test Tube Factory" in Martin Place, late 1980s.

The place was bathed in UV light to show off the UV reactive murals and fixtures. G&T had this amazing slightly lavender glow. Well cool for attracting a friendly lass for the night. ;)

Cheers - Fermented.

Yes, it does... that's one of the things that got me hooked on G&T at the old "Test Tube Factory" in Martin Place, late 1980s.

I used to go to the one in the cross in the early 90s. It was stumbling distance to bed from there. Always felt fine in there, open the door and get hit by fresh air and you would just about fall over.

DOcs still recomend tonic water for a range of symptoms such as cramps, and stomach issues. my mother in law was recomeneded to drink it but she doesnt like it. I love it. doesnt seem to help me thought.

damn addictive stuff and its not even alcaholic!

Hello All,

I'm new to this however I just wanted to let you know that QTonic is now available in Australia. I have attached some info and what it looks like, which I must say is a very sexy packaging and the taste is amazing by itself, with high end Gins (Hendrick's) or even good vodka(Belvedere)... It is only new to Australia so availability is still very low however any outlets that you would like to see the product at please let me know and we will see what we can do. Also if you want it direct please email me and we can send it to you...

Cheers

David

View attachment Q_Tonic_Sales_Sheet_2009.pdf

Hello All,

I'm new to this however I just wanted to let you know that QTonic is now available in Australia. I have attached some info and what it looks like, which I must say is a very sexy packaging and the taste is amazing by itself, with high end Gins (Hendrick's) or even good vodka(Belvedere)... It is only new to Australia so availability is still very low however any outlets that you would like to see the product at please let me know and we will see what we can do. Also if you want it direct please email me and we can send it to you...

Cheers

David

You bloody beauty!

I ended up drinking tonic water on its own because it was so good. Not so great in large quantity due to the salt in it. I also preferred the diet tonic to the one with sugar in it. It can be addictive. :) Alas I haven't had one in over a year. May have to get a bottle next time in the shops.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Aquavit and T is the way to go! with a curly ginger strip

America for holidays in May - Toms handcrafted tonic to bring home ... i will also try for some chinchona bark, I'll go for +1kg and then distribute to a few of those who are keen once I get back here ... but expect customs to take it off me anyway, so we'll see.

Latest posts

Back