Tonic Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to have a keg of Tonic Water at home, has anyone played around with this?

I can't seem to find the quinine extract available online in Oz..

i had a look on ahb about this and only came up with 2 or 3 posts. 1 post suggested adding a 'soda stream' flavouring which replicates tonic water. thats was about the best suggestion. which i think sucks. surely someone at AHB has abetter solution. I too drink gallons of tonic water (diet tonic water because of course im looking after my waistline :lol: ) and would love a keg of it. so anyone got any better idea than soda stream flavour? or where to get quinine extract?

What a great idea!

Good artical here - Linky

Might get Dad to fire up his still and start pumping out vodka again. Ahhhh a pint of V&T........ ;)

It seems that amoungs cocktail aficionado's there is a trend toward making "house tonic" but the porblem for us, is no one seems to sell the chinchona powder, but lets try and find a solution, preferably an, innovative, multimedia, flexible, mobile, eco+ solution

Make mine a Bombay Sapphire.

...I'll also accept Tanqueray.

man knows!

230px-Tanqueraybottles.jpg

Quinine dihydrochloride, Quinine sulphate are also whats used. its the natural? form of chinchona powder (which i think is actually spelt cinchona)

this place sells Cinchona bark (red) www.dandelionbotanical.com/bulkCD.html

this site tells you that you can apparently use quinine to trat hemmoroids. yuck. came across it doing some research on quinine.

this is off an Aus medicine website re concentration
Quinidine C - Concentration must not exceed 10 mg/kg or 10 mg/L or 0.001%.
Quinine C - MRDD must not exceed 50 mg.

I'd love to make my own tonic water so I could have something that was not ridiculously sweet.

Love the GT's, give me Bombay, Tanq or Hendricks and make it a little cucumber rather than lime.

Cucumber only in the Hendricks for me thanks Kai, otherwise bring it on! You guys have good taste in gin :)

I've always felt like an outsider because of my penchant for Gin. I like 'InCredible Hulks'

Pint glass
Dash or two of Tanq or BSaph Gin
Dash of GI Lime
Top up with water - tonic or tap.

InCider.

Keep searching guys!
Surely it cant be too hard to find a good recipe?

My household consumes large quantities of tonic over summer and to have it on tap would be great!

Cheers,

Stout.

I can't believe how much of this stuff I am going through. G&T is made for this weather.

I have the small batch gin covered, but I go through so much tonic that I need to start making it myself.

OT a little, one of the other winemakers and I entered an internal competition to produce a 'new' wine style (Max Medal after the late Max Schubert of Grange fame), first round judged at cellar door by customers then the final four get judged by the experienced wine show judges in the company and a splash of marketing people.

Well we got down to the final four (not bad for a hot climate wine) and our prize was $500 at Prince wine store, we spent it ALL on gin and the two of us had a taste off over the Christmas break. G&T have always been a favourite starter and finisher when we go out for dinner. Henricks won the day, closely followed by Tanqueray and sapphire.

So back on topic, did anyone find a source of quinine or a substitute?

no i HOPED SOMEONE WOUDL DO THE LEGWORK FOFR ME, , i enquired at a few naturopathic supply places, and its available buyt is controlled, probably ewasier fto get it via USA

I get my botanicals from herbies, I had a look on herbies online and there is nothing there. I might email them and ask.

Quinine is a controlled substance, (or more accurately "drug paraphanelia",) because it is so often used as a "diluents and adulterants" to other drugs.

sorry abou the spelling, I have access to controlled substances, so that's not a problem, ill try and track some down for a bulk buy

Latest posts

Back