Tonic Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry abou the spelling, I have access to controlled substances, so that's not a problem, ill try and track some down for a bulk buy

Ahh yeah, I forgot what you do for a crust. Thanks sinkas. My sister is in the same line of work and did think to ask her.

the web has a few recipes and few online forums that have developed recipes.

I wonder if the raw cinchona powder is controlled or if it is just the extracted quinine.

OK Just bought a pound, will let you know if it makes it into the country

i got heaps of Schweppes 1.25l tonics at wollies the other day for 99c each... is it really worth kegging?

you can get VB cans for $10 a carton? where?

1.25l for 99c.. bit cheaper than beer.

I work for the man, so in fact it is part of my benefits and probably works out less than $10/carton. I normally get cascade or stella for family and friends that haven't seen the light yet. I still choose to make my own beer

My point is good tonic water is A LOT better than even schweppes and you can taylor the sugar/bitterness balance to your own taste (just like beer). Not sure if it is available in Aus yet, but Q water is pretty good stuff.

I work for the man, so in fact it is part of my benefits and probably works out less than $10/carton. I normally get cascade or stella for family and friends that haven't seen the light yet. I still choose to make my own beer

My point is good tonic water is A LOT better than even schweppes and you can taylor the sugar/bitterness balance to your own taste (just like beer). Not sure if it is available in Aus yet, but Q water is pretty good stuff.

Q water is 'bittered" with agave if I recall correctly? not too sweet either. Lemme know if you find a local supplier

Q water is 'bittered" with agave if I recall correctly? not too sweet either. Lemme know if you find a local supplier

yes it has agave - it is the sweet component, the bitter component is quinine. I am pretty sure agave is a type of cactus the same as is used in tequilla production.

I got it wrong, it is actaully called Q Tonic http://www.qtonic.com/

43 in the shade today, and I was heard to remark that I would love nothing more than a large cold glass of G&T. My ol' boy also got given a huge amount of fresh cucumbers and zucchinis from a farmer, so I was explaining how good it would go with Hendricks.. Mmmm mmmm.

That's it... I am making a martini.

I'm following this thread with great interest - I'd love to make my own tonic as well and tried some of those US sites about a year ago only to get stuck - one would only deliver into the US, and another site fell over, and another one wanted over $100 US to deliver :eek:

So thanks guys for being resourceful and digging deeper. When I'm not drinking beer, G&T is my choice bevvy.

sinkas let us know hgow you go with the quinnine. Im still not keen on using sodastream tonic flavouring. Id certainly buy a stack off you as I go through 4-5L a week.

I had a search/investigation into buying from herb stockists etc but never got anywhere. obviously its just one of those things. If someone did manage to find the quinoa tree (or whatever it is from) then im sure theres anough of us to buy the tree and make cuttings.

all things being equal much easier to get the dried ready to use stuff.

Dear Kirk,
You will find information on this website:
http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/

View attachment 24656

and regarding the legality of importing, look at the Australian Quarantine website:
http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis

Kind Regards

Herbie.
Herbie's Spices
[email protected] www.herbies.com.au
Spicery & Office:
4/25 Arizona Road, CHARMHAVEN, NSW, 2263, AUSTRALIA
Tel: +61 2 4392 9422 Fax: +61 2 4392 9433
Retail Shop:
745 Darling Street, ROZELLE, NSW, 2039, AUSTRALIA
Tel: +61 2 9555 6035 Fax: +61 2 9555 6037
Herbie's Spices is a division of Hemphill Pty Ltd ABN: 75 077 549 583

well that blows. I guess the whole of AHB is waiting to see how sinkas does.

any news Sinkas?

I can not believe you have so much trouble finding the stuff down there. I did some looking and Australia is one of the big growers or was of the stuff. The sites I looked at made it sound like every back yard had a tree growing in it.

Is it not the bark you want or just the pure powder that does not turn the drink brown?

Reading the Food Standards document, Chinchona (quinine) appears in Schedule 2 which 'lists the species of plants and fungi that may not be used in food except as a source of a flavouring substance'. As this is for flavouring, this would be OK wouldn't it? There is also reference to Standard 1.4.1 which lists the maximum safe level for use.

sap.

Ahem... Bulkbuy anyone :p
cinchona_bark_extract.summ.jpg

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/20980457...rk_extract.html

Latest posts

Back