Tonic Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi JD
thanks for the heads up on your website, I'm keen to try some of the tonic syrups you stock - do you have any info on what ones are more bitter?t
thanks
Megan

Anyone had any luck recently? I see Koda Phytorium has stock but about $18 for 60g it's a bit steep.

JD from www.onlybitters.com again. It has been a while since I was on this forum.
Well after reading all these blogs I have gone and purchased cinchona succirubra bark and powder for resale.
It just arrived to my warehouse and is getting packaged. In the next week it will be available for sale on www.onlybitters.com.

You can buy the powder in 250g, 500gm lots, and bark in 250gm, 500g and 1 kilo lots. If you want bigger quantities, write to me at [email protected].
Pricing is being worked on but I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

onlytonics said:
JD from www.onlybitters.com again. It has been a while since I was on this forum.
Well after reading all these blogs I have gone and purchased cinchona succirubra bark and powder for resale.
It just arrived to my warehouse and is getting packaged. In the next week it will be available for sale on www.onlybitters.com.

You can buy the powder in 250g, 500gm lots, and bark in 250gm, 500g and 1 kilo lots. If you want bigger quantities, write to me at [email protected].
Pricing is being worked on but I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.
Just ordered 500g of the bark. Hoping to get a batch done for SWMBO for Christmas, maybe then she'll let me keep the keg fridge in the house...

Hi everyone!
I came across this website about a month ago looking for information on making tonic as Christmas presents. A belated thanks for all of the insider tips! Hope this old thread is still alive.

I've signed up to join this thread because I have a question I'm hoping you guys can help me with.
Using this recipe... https://pinchandswirl.com/homemade-tonic-water-for-the-ultimate-gin-and-tonic/... I got three beautiful jars. A few tweaks next time but overall, delicious! Three weeks later though my tonic has developed some not-good-looking cloudy white-ish masses suspended in the liquid and I'm wondering whether they need to be binned.

Any thoughts? Cheers!
Alex

just for interest

Dan Murphy sells a dry tonic water which I believe in quite nice with gin

alexcanb said:
I got three beautiful jars. A few tweaks next time but overall, delicious! Three weeks later though my tonic has developed some not-good-looking cloudy white-ish masses suspended in the liquid and I'm wondering whether they need to be binned.

Any thoughts? Cheers!
Alex
Did you use a suitable amount of citric acid and lemon juice? I know Morgenthaler recommends adding a neutral spirit to prolong shelf life but I see some of the commercial ones are alcohol free so I'm sure it's not a showstopper as long as you have enough acid (pH of 4.6 or below).

I also boil my concoction and store it in the fridge, not sure if that makes a difference though.

If you are unsure then bin them and start again it is cheap enough and way cheaper than food poisoning (and this coming from someone who is not that cautious when it comes to food safety)

vovo said:
If you are unsure then bin them and start again it is cheap enough and way cheaper than food poisoning (and this coming from someone who is not that cautious when it comes to food safety)
Maybe the tonic should of been, wait for it..... iced Vovo?

Sorry it's late.

Latest posts

Back