Tonic Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly off topic, just out of curiosity does anyone know how they get the cucumber into Hendricks Gin? Do they ferment cucumbers, or just steep them in the gin?

Apparently the addition of cucumber essence at the end of the process (not sure how cucumber essence is made though). Interesting read on the wiki page about the whole process...

Slightly off topic, just out of curiosity does anyone know how they get the cucumber into Hendricks Gin? Do they ferment cucumbers, or just steep them in the gin?

When I've made.... err tinkered with gin before, hoping for something hendricks-ish I peeled the cucumber and steeped the peel in the gin.

Good cucumber flavour, no colour extraction.

hmm, true.

...Nearly made a cucumber lager last week :icon_cheers: Chickened out when the whole box of cucumbers turned yellow!

:icon_offtopic:

So I recently stumbled upon Jeffrey Morgenthaler's tonic recipe, and my search for cinchona bark led me here. Newtons in Sydney is now charging $30 for 50g since they have apparently lost their supplier - bit steep for me... So as anyone found a more reliable source? I'm a little hesitant to order from the US, it seems customs will be all over it :(

I've used the tincture extract before and it wasn't very good. Wasn't very strong, and had a different sort of taste. I wouldn't recommend it.

A shame that Newtons have jacked their price up. I ordered 1/2kg recently and distributed to various people around Perth, and it was still $18/100g, so they've effectively tripled their price. I've heard of someone in Melbourne who is doing some paperwork to import it - I'll chase that up and see if it comes through.

I've used the tincture extract before and it wasn't very good. Wasn't very strong, and had a different sort of taste. I wouldn't recommend it.

A shame that Newtons have jacked their price up. I ordered 1/2kg recently and distributed to various people around Perth, and it was still $18/100g, so they've effectively tripled their price. I've heard of someone in Melbourne who is doing some paperwork to import it - I'll chase that up and see if it comes through.

Awesome, I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread then.

I'm also a little skeptical of using the extract, I think I'll hold out for the real thing. I'm also tempted to just buy it from the US and risk getting it through customs. This place http://www.healthyvillage.com/product_details/366.html has it for 18.80 a pound + they don't charge any extra on top of standard shipping from the states which seems to be about $20. Think there's any chance it'd get through?

I wouldn't even try IMHO.

Firstly, there's a big risk that you'll lose your money.

Secondly, you'll be importing something into Australia that hasn't been processed by quarantine, and they have reasons for these things being banned. You could unwittingly introduce some sort of pest into Australia, which although it isn't your intention, it is a possibility. The reason that Cinchona is available from *some* places is because it has been properly treated/fumigated/whatever by AQIS.

Thirdly, you run the risk of getting into0 trouble for willingly trying to import a substance that is on the AQIS list.

Hold out for some available in Aus, it'll be around, might just take time.

I wouldn't even try IMHO.

Firstly, there's a big risk that you'll lose your money.

Secondly, you'll be importing something into Australia that hasn't been processed by quarantine, and they have reasons for these things being banned. You could unwittingly introduce some sort of pest into Australia, which although it isn't your intention, it is a possibility. The reason that Cinchona is available from *some* places is because it has been properly treated/fumigated/whatever by AQIS.

Thirdly, you run the risk of getting into0 trouble for willingly trying to import a substance that is on the AQIS list.

Hold out for some available in Aus, it'll be around, might just take time.

Sounds like good advice, I guess I'll just stick with Schweppes tonic for the time being :p

I understand it's gone well up in price since I bought it. I haven't seen it anywhere else recently.

I understand it's gone well up in price since I bought it. I haven't seen it anywhere else recently.

That's a shame, had a few GnTs in the states last month made using quinine syrup and they were very good.

That's a shame, had a few GnTs in the states last month made using quinine syrup and they were very good.
Where did u but quinine syrup from? Maybe we can import it.

i brought some chincona bark powder back from the US last time i was there. Purchased in a retail hippy herbs and crap shop in Seattle. Made sure it was packed into a clear plastic bag, sealed by a sticker with the shop's name and address etc, kept the receipt. Made sure i knew what it was (ie the botanical name of the tree, where it was originally grown etc) so that when the quarantine guys asked the "what the hell is that?" question - i had a good answer.

On arrival at customs - declared it and after it was inspected ("not sure about this, hang on while I call my supervisor...") and they determined that it was bought retail in the US - they were perfectly at ease with letting me bring it in.

I think the fact that it was powdered and not simply rough cut bark made a difference - I had a chat with the quarantine guy and he expresed some serious doubt as to whether they would have let me bring it in if it had been unprocessed tree bark.

Haven't used it to make tonic yet - but I have a soda syphon coming for xmas and between the powder and a bottle of MHB's excellent pre-made tonic flavouring, summertime G&Ts are looking nicely sorted :)

TB

Hi all,

I usually live in the states and have been buying Cinchona bark and making my own tonic syrup for a while now. Its *really* worth it. I use Jeffery Morgenthalers recipe as a base, but ease up on the citric acid because it was too bitter for me.

I've been so sad not to be able to make it here in Melbourne, until I found your thread. Even though Newtown has jacked up their prices, I'm still ordering some, its just so much better than anything you can buy in a bottle. Q is very good, but incredibly expensive.

Good luck to you all, I hope it becomes more readily available here soon!

D.

Latest posts

Back