The Wheatsheaf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest email:

Come sample the Japanese craft brewing revolution!

HITACHINO on tap @ The Wheaty

http://hitachinonest.com/
In 1996, after 173 years as a sake brewer, the Kiuchi Brewery began to produce beer as well under the Hitachino Nest Beer brand. Prior to 1994 Japanese regulations had actually made this expansion difficult, if not impossible, so Hitachino Nest Beer was in the forefront of a microbrew revolution. Many of the revolutionaries have already stumbled, however, largely due to beers that were too timid to make an impression on the drinker. In a short time they have already made a name for themselves by releasing creative brews that tip their hats to a number of international influences, radically different from the lager-styles of Japans Big Four: Asahi, Kirin, Sapporo, and Suntory. Jim Clarke

White Ale Belgian Witbier (5% ABV)

A refreshing mildly hopped Belgian styled beer with a complex flavor of coriander, orange peel & nutmeg.
Malts: Lager, Wheat Hops: Perle, Styrian Golding Adjuncts: Flaked Wheat, Flaked Barley, Coriander,
Nutmeg, Orange peel, Orange Juice Original Gravity: 1.06 Alcohol Vol: 5% IBU: 13 Color: Light Golden

Espresso Stout Russian Imperial Stout with coffee (7.5% ABV)

Caramel, roasted, black and chocolate malts provide an explosion of coffee like flavors. The strong espresso character comes from the addition of espresso beans to the boil. Notes of vanilla, dark fruit, cocoa and chocolate. The very unusual character of Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout stems from the fact that Kiuchi Brewery is using the recipe of a Russian Imperial Stout as base. Pitch black color, big brown head. Aromas of chocolate, roasted bitterness, black currants, dark fruits.

Japanese Classic Ale Japanese IPA (7.5% ABV)

Hitachino Japanese Classic Ale is brewed following the original India Pale Ale brought to Japan in the 19th century . It is slowly matured in Cedar casks which are commonly used in the brewing of traditional Japanese sake. The result is a beer full of the flavours and aromas of peppery cedar, pine, citrus and earth.It has a unique note of cedar and complex spicy yet mild aroma of British traditional hops such as Kent Goldings and Challenger and US Chinook.

Red Rice Ale Sake Ale (7% ABV)

Complex sake like flavors with malt sweet notes. Hints of strawberries in the nose and palate. An intriguing mix of sake, malt and bitter notes in the finish. The beer is actually fermented with both ale and sake yeasts. This complicated process creates a higher alcohol beer with strawberries, raspberries, and a streak of white pepper on both the nose and palate. The sake influence is noticeable but not predominant, making for a very smooth beer with a touch of glycerol on the finish.

Malts: Pilsner Hops: Chinook Adjuncts: Red Rice, Flaked Barley Original gravity: 1.070 Alcohol Vol: 7.0% IBU: 26 Color: Smoky Pink

Hitachino White Ale & Japanese Classic Ale tapped from 3pm Fri 7th January; Red Rice Ale & Espresso Stout to follow on for as long as they last!

Yes got this email this morning.... mIght have to head down to sample a couple

Latest from the Wheaty, must get there this weekend. :D

In a couple of firsts for The Wheatys taps Local Micro Beard & Brau make their debut (through the Glasshopper no less!), Scottish punk brewers Brewdog showcase a couple of hop monsters and White Rabbit Wit returns for those who dont need their beer to hurt on the way down!

1. Brewdog Hardcore IPA & 5am Saint on tap from 3pm Friday 28th January
Martin and James were bored of the industrially brewed lagers and stuffy ales that dominate the UK market. We decided the best way to fix this undesirable predicament was to brew our own beers. Consequently in April 2007 BrewDog was born. Both only 24 at the time, we leased a building, got some scary bank loans, spent all our money on stainless steel and started making some hardcore beers. We are dedicated to making cool, contemporary and progressive beers showcasing some of the worlds classic beers. All our beers are made from fresh natural ingredients; we use no preservative, additives or pasteurization. BrewDog is about breaking rules, taking risks, upsetting trends, unsettling institutions but first and foremost, great tasting beers.www.brewdog.com
Hardcore IPA - This Imperial IPA Rocks, Hardcore!
This explicit ale has more hops and bitterness that any other beer brewed in the UK. This is an extreme beer rollercoaster for freaks, gypsies and international chess superstars.
ABV: 9.2%
OG: 1083
IBUs: 150
Malts: Maris Otter, Crystal malt, Caramalt
Hops: Centennial, Columbus, Simcoe / Dry Hops: Centennial, Columbus, Simcoe
Twist: Hopped to hell, then dry-hopped to hell too
5am Saint - The Holy Grail of red ales.
ABV: 5%
OG: 1048
IBUs: 25
Malts: Maris Otter, Caramalt, Munich Malt, Crystal and Dark Crystal malts
Hops: Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo / Dry Hops: Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, Ahtanum, Nelson Sauvin
Twist: Loads of late hops and bucket-loads of dry hops

2. Black Snout Milk Stout Poured through the Glasshopper from 6:30pm Friday 28th Jan
Beard & Brau was formed in 2008 by local Brewers Chris Herring and Tanya Harlow to produce all natural, handcrafted, microbrewed beer. They value the traditions of beer to be a sustainable way of producing a fine libation of flavour, consistency and quality from all natural ingredients: Real Ale = Real Tasty. www.beardandbrau.com.au
Black Snout Milk Stout (5.5% ABV) opens with chocolate, vanilla and biscuit aromas and is subtly bitter to balance the malty sweetness (30 IBUs). Brewed on the lighter side of the alcohol range for stouts creates an inviting creamy stout for everyone to enjoy. This particular Black Snout has been cask conditioned and cellared providing some more mature port style flavours. Well be pouring Black Snout through a variety of goodies in our Glasshopper Hop Infuser - guess the secret Glasshopper ingredient on the night for a chance to win a Beard & Brau gift pack (details & conditions at the launch)!

And

Sorry Folks I forgot the White Rabbit!

3. White Rabbit Wit Pouring now!
White Rabbit Wit (4.5% ABV) is a classic, unfiltered, naturally cloudy White Ale inspired by Belgian tradition; pale straw in colour with subtle spice characters from the addition of coriander, juniper and bitter orange, fruity citrus aromas courtesy of their ex-Little Creatures Hopback and subtle bitterness (15 IBUs).
The brewers wanted their Wit to be as light as possible and hazy as a good Wit should be and so used a very high proportion of un-malted Wheat (up to 40%) along with malted Wheat, Pilsner Malt and Flaked Oats in the Malt Bill. Tassie Cluster and Kiwi Pacifica contribute moderate hop character and just enough bitterness to the brew, while the traditional spice combination of bitter orange peel and coriander are given a bit of a twist with the addition of juniper berries. As with all White Rabbit beers, the Wit is fermented in large, German built Open Fermenters which allow the yeast to run a little wild delivering more fruity complexity to the beer. The Wit is then bottled conditioned using honey to spark the secondary ferment and add a subtle honey character to the finish
A fruity, tart and refreshing Wit; perfect for bringing on Summer!
www.whiterabbitbeer.com.au

I'm so glad we have one Great Beer Pub here in Adelaide! :p

Cheers
Nige

Wow, I had no idea.

Is it usual for the Wheaty to get (and post) the recipes like that? I mean most of those are pretty reproducible now. I wouldn't mind a go at that Wit. It sounds lovely. Juniper as a flavouring in beer is old school - I haven't seen it in a modern beer, and would love to find out how it tastes (hopefully not like gin).

Yes Tanga, it's quite normal to get such good descriptions. If you go to their website I think you can sign up to their newsletter and they'll email you a similar thing for each special release they have on tap. I don't get the newsletter myself as I'm not in SA but my mother lives in Adelaide and gets it and she sometimes forwards it to me for a read.

Sometimes people post the content of the newsletters here as well.

Just joined up. I don't know where they get those recipes but it'll be interesting to have a go. I don't suppose they had the White Rabbit Dark Ale technique?

Just joined up. I don't know where they get those recipes but it'll be interesting to have a go. I don't suppose they had the White Rabbit Dark Ale technique?
I think you will find the descriptions come from the brewers themselves as part of the marketing package.

Just go down their and drink the beer, dont worry about cloning them.

The selection was not that wonderful when I visited on Dec 23rd, but the Tuatara APA was devine

The selection was not that wonderful when I visited on Dec 23rd, but the Tuatara APA was devine

You only talking about the tap beers? As they have an extensive range of beers in bottles.

I was referring to the tap beer, I have tasted all their botteld range elsewhere

I was referring to the tap beer, I have tasted all their botteld range elsewhere

Beer_board_Website.jpg

This is the 'small list' of bottled beers. There's an entire folder of other beers that aren't on this list...

yes i am fully aware, so I have tasted alot of beers, is that a crime?

yes i am fully aware, so I have tasted alot of beers, is that a crime?
Not at all, just surprising to see someone claim that they've tried *all* the beers there.

I could spend a week (and a fortune) going through the Mikkeller single varieties alone.

I'm surprised as well...I can't fault the wheatsheaf for the amount of beers they have. I even call their beer menu 'the bible' as it has more beer in it then I could afford to pay for with a years wage. And that you have drank all of that (well, most of that) and then to say that the wheatsheaf doesn't have much on selection, well, that just comes across the wrong way.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can say I've had everything they have at the Wheaty. I doubt very much that day will be this year.

<H1 style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10.5pt; MARGIN: 3.75pt 0cm 1.5pt">The Wheatys Drink a Local has gone Double Barrelled; launching two Local Micro taps on the same night and encouraging a spot of friendly rivalry.</H1>Lobethal Bierhaus v Barossa Brewing Co on Wed 2nd February (6-8pm), followed by Steam Exchange v Brewboys on Wed 2nd March (6-8pm).

First up well be pouring Lobethal Bierhaus regular Pale Ale, before tapping (the following week) a collaborative Brewboys/Bierhaus brew designed specially for the Taphouses Spectapular festival in February. Lobethal Bierhaus aromatic, spicy and bitter Pale Ale (5% ABV ) has been juiced up; Al and the Boys have added fresh Quince during conditioning. The fresh Quince, very kindly provided by the chaps at LOBO Cider, was extracted from the fruit using their wine press, and ties-in perfectly with the Pales chewy malt backbone, upfront citrus and pine-needle hop character (from a bucket of late Cascade hops) and lingering bitterness (around 35 IBUs). An Adelaide Hills variation of the American Pale Ale style!
www.bierhaus.com.au

The Barossa Brewing Cos Wheat Store Ale (4.5%ABV) is a Bavarian Hefeweizen style made from 50% Joe White and Powells wheat malt (with a touch of raw wheat) and pils, ale and cara malts. Wheat Store Ale is quite bitter for the style weighing in at around 28 IBUs and is late hopped with Sterling and Cascade hops for subtle hop character. Our choice top fermenting Bavarian Weizen yeast has produced fruity esters of banana, cinnamon, peach and pear with a dry and tart edge. A cloudy, spritzy and spicy summer refresher.Brewer Darryl Trinne
www.barossabrewingcompany.com

Drink Pale Ale and Wheatstore Ale and Meet the Local Brewers from 6-8pm
The Wheatsheaf Hotel Wednesday 2nd February

GUESS WHAT IS ON THE GLASSHOPPER!

We had so much fun with our guess whats in the Glasshopper night with Beard & Brau that weve decided to make it a regular Friday night fixture. So every Friday evening between 5pm 7pm youll have the chance to guess the secret Hopinator ingredients (with a relevant entry ticket) and an opportunity to win some beer bling in the process. Let the games begin! Hint: contrary to one of last weeks entries, we wont be putting bacon in the Glasshopper...

BEER & BREWER ISSUE 16 PARTY -You're Invited!

Wednesday February 9, from 6-9pm
All readers/subscribers/advertisers/stockists and their friends, industry, Wheaty Punters and media are most welcome.

This event is staged to give readers a first look at the next issue, plus to thank you and our valued advertisers and stockists for your valued support.

RSVP essential as space is limited.
Include your name, post code and mobile number (plus same details of your guest(s)):
[email protected]
SMS to +61 (0)415 081 285

This will be the 1st locals night I've missed in over 6 months. I agreed to dinner with the in laws tomorrow & could've moved it to a different night if I'd realised my error sooner. I'll have to make up for lost time in March.

I just might have to motivate my self to go to this and bring my girl along after she is done in the city at 5.

Latest posts

Back