The Wheatsheaf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good, Ravs...so I'm definitely in town Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights the 10th, 11th & 12th. Monday night is out, so I was thinking of getting an earlyish flight Sunday and having a Sunday arvi sesh, or does Tuesday night suit you guys better?

I would prefer Tuesday, however Sunday is also fine for me atm on the calender. Weekends mainly booked up renovating of late!

I would prefer Tuesday, however Sunday is also fine for me atm on the calender. Weekends mainly booked up renovating of late!
Surely you're ready for a beer or two by Sunday afternoon :icon_cheers:
Seems like there are a good few locals up for Sunday arvo, and Muckey finishes work the previous Friday. Hell, Butters doesn't start work until midnight Monday night so may even drag him along. :icon_drunk:
Nige

Edit:- Just got an email offering me 40% 0f $US12,000,000. This is gunna be a big night! :super:

Just got my itinerary from Amex travel, seems I'm not going to land in Adelaide until 18:55, which means I wouldn't be at the Wheaty until at least 7.30 pm... not sure if this is too late for you guys or what time the Wheaty closes Sunday night?

Just got my itinerary from Amex travel, seems I'm not going to land in Adelaide until 18:55, which means I wouldn't be at the Wheaty until at least 7.30 pm... not sure if this is too late for you guys or what time the Wheaty closes Sunday night?
9.00pm closing on Sundays.
Maybe an ABC get together on Sunday arvo then those that can back up/not make it Sunday get together with Schooey on Tuesday night.

Are you suggesting the Wheaty for the Sunday & Tuesday Nige? My delicate finances won't be able to manage that, especially with a trip there the week before for locals night. I can probably get over on the Tuesday for a bit though.

If anyone is keen for some beers at my place on the Sunday then that could be done. There's no 9pm Sunday closing time at my place.

Are you suggesting the Wheaty for the Sunday & Tuesday Nige? My delicate finances won't be able to manage that, especially with a trip there the week before for locals night. I can probably get over on the Tuesday for a bit though.

If anyone is keen for some beers at my place on the Sunday then that could be done. There's no 9pm Sunday closing time at my place.
Yours might be a goer Hatchy, not far from the airport either.

Get Schooey brewing on your rig while we all watch! :icon_cheers:

This is building up into some fun then... :D

Should I bring some hops or something? :unsure:

Can Schooey remember how to brew MANUALLY? :ph34r:

:eek:

<_<... I can brew in a shoe with a tealight candle and handkerchief.....and still show Hatchy how to "Put some ******* hops in a beer" :p

well maybe not that extreme, but I still know what an esky looks like!

I had a look today & there is leave available for the Monday, how big is this likely to get?

If you could show me how to appropriately hop a beer that would be great Schooey. Phil & Kieren reckon they like hops but I've always found their beers to be terribly underhopped.

If you could show me how to appropriately hop a beer that would be great Schooey. Phil & Kieren reckon they like hops but I've always found their beers to be terribly underhopped.

:unsure: ...maybe I have bitten off more than I can chew. I think I'll go stand in the corner with Glenn Cooper

So I have some local treats I shall bring along from Murray's and Hunter Beer Co and a few other things if I can manage to keep it under the 5L of carry on alcohol.

I'm not sure that the 5L limit is relevant for domestic flights. I brought about a carton back with me on the plane back from our honeymoon.

Latest email:

<H1 style="LINE-HEIGHT: 10.5pt; MARGIN: 3.75pt 0cm 1.5pt">8 Wired "Hop Wired" & "Tall Poppy" on Tap @ The Wheaty</H1>
We reckon that 8 Wired are one of the best new wave Kiwi microbreweries producing high quality, full-flavoured, characterful ales that showcase NZ Hops; and we've landed a couple of their kegs!

8 WIRED BREWING is inspired by the "legendary Kiwi can-do mentality and fellow craft brewers who have dared to challenge the masses and show us all that beer is no longer "just beer"! 8 Wired brews are crafted by Sren Eriksen, a nomadic Danish brewer who has finally found permanent ground in Marlborough New Zealand. Sren brews out of Renaissance Brewery in Blenheim, whom he credits as "my closest ally, my friends, employers and generous lenders of brewing equipment!"

Hopwired IPA (7.3% ABV): "We're pretty sure HopWired is the first bottled new world India Pale Ale made with NZ grown pale ale malt and 100% unique NZ hops. We bet you'll find nothing else like it on the shelves. Although there's plenty of malty sweetness, this beer is all about the hops. But unlike an American IPA, which will mainly challenge you with grapefruity and pine-like flavours and aromas, the kiwi hops used in HopWired produce something more like a tropical punchbowl: Passion fruit, limes, oranges and Sauvignon Blanc grapes to name but a few. A local Marlborough winemaker even said it smelled like gooseberries... Gooseberries? When did you last actually smell a gooseberry?? Decide for yourself, or just enjoy it without further complication."

HopWired is made with a grist comprising predominantly Canterbury-grown pale ale malt and generous additions of three Kiwi hop varieties Pacific Jade, Motueka and, most obviously, Nelson Sauvin.

Tall Poppy IRA (7% ABV): "Last week we brewed a batch of a beer I have been dreaming about for months, a beer with big malt, big hops and big drinkability. It has the malt backbone of a big amber/red ale, almost scotch ale like and the hoppiness of an IPA. Consequently I call it an "India Red Ale" and the name is Tall Poppy. This time we are also swaying away from one of our original mantras about brewing solely with NZ hops. I just couldn't find a NZ combo that would work in this beer, without making it a red HopWired or a bigger version of Red Dwarf. So in the end I went with American Warrior, Amarillo, Simcoe and Columbus, and I'm really happy about the choice."

www.8wired.co.nz

We tap Hopwired IPA from 5pm Friday March 25th (Tall Poppy IRA to follow).

On for as long as they last!

latest email:

APRIL BOOZE NEWS
Rogue, Eugene & 8Wired back on tap; Local brewers Lobethal Bierhaus & Barossa Brewing Co return; Wheaty 'Ass & Class' 6 Packs go monthly & we (finally) commit to Twitter keg updates
Coming up on tap in April:
Eugene City Brewery 200m IPA from 5pm Fri 1st April, followed by: Eugene City Brewery Triple Jump APA, Rogue Yellow Snow IPA, Brutal IPA, Chocolate Stout, Mocha Porter, Shakespeare Stout and Dead Guy Ale; Renaissance Marlborough DIPA; Mountain Goat Skipping Girl and The Craig; 8 Wired Tall Poppy IRA
The Wheaty's 'Drink a Local' features Lobethal Bierhaus Red Truck Porter v Barossa Brewing Co's Victorville Pale on Wed 6th April (6-8pm) come meet the brewers and encourage a spot of friendly rivalry in the process!
Every Month, The Wheaty puts together a selection of handpicked, feature 'Ass & Class' 6 Packs, including:
Wheaty 'Kick Ass' 6 Pack $75 in our humble opinion these beers ROCK!
Tuatara APA, Rogue Shakespeare Stout, Ngne 2 Captains DIPA, EPIC Armageddon IPA, 8Wired Tall Poppy IRA & Amager Bryghus "Hr. Frederiksen" Imperial Stout.
Wheaty 'Weird Ass' 6 Pack $65 consider it a challenge!
Rogue Dead Guy Ale, EPIC/Dogfish Head Portamarillo Smoked Porter, Mikkeller Barrel Aged Black Hole Rum Imperial Stout, Les Trois Mousquetaires Americaine APA, De Molen Rasputin Imperial Stout & Yeastie Boys Pot Kettle Black Black IPA
Wheaty 'Cheap Ass' 6 Pack $ 35 it's all relative
Rogue Santa's Reserve Double Dry Hopped Red Ale, Mikkeller Single Hop IPA, Baird Teikoku IPA, Mad Brewers Scribbly Gum Lager, Hitachino Nest Sweet Stout Milk Stout, Little Creatures Oatmeal Stout
Beer Nerd Alert # 1: For keg by keg updates, follow The Wheaty on Twitter - @TheWheaty - we'll endeavour to Tweet tap changes as they occur and give you the heads up on special releases (you can sign up via our website www.wheatsheafhotel.com.au)
Beer Nerd Alert # 2: Work up a thirst checking out a couple of our favourite Oz Craft Beer sites:
www.craftypint.com
http://blog.imhereforthehops.com/
These guys know their beer, love their beer and do a great job furthering the Craft Beer cause (and on the odd occasion might be found diligently undertaking field research at the Front Bar of The Wheaty).

Should I look into getting the Monday off work?
Why not, I already have............. :p

This is building up into some fun then...

Should I bring some hops or something?
you can but only if you dont like pre-smoked

<_< ... I can brew in a shoe with a tealight candle and handkerchief.....and still show Hatchy how to "Put some ******* hops in a beer" :p

well maybe not that extreme, but I still know what an esky looks like!

brew in an old bag ??????? I think I may have already done that 1 night

I had a look today & there is leave available for the Monday, how big is this likely to get?

not lighting them would be a good start........

seriously though, I'm up for either Hatchy's or the wheaty. It would be great to catch up with everyone

Are we still on for tomorrow night, guys? Should be off the plane at the airport by 1930 local time... Is the plan the Wheaty or Hatchy's? I'm easy either way and have a few local offerings that you can't get anymore for the trip.

If we are on for Hatchy's, can someone PM me the address... Hatchy maybe?

Looking forward to catching up with you guys again! :D

Latest posts

Back