I need help! (as if you didn't know) How to improve grassroots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altone

Reaction score
Ok so a year or so ago we moved to a new "big house on small block"
Before it was the other way round.
The wife says this place is much better. So I can't argue.

I used to have room for a nice brew setup but now I've got about 1 square metre.

The double garage is small and full so no room for man cave 3 vessel brew setup or anything else much.

I've been surviving on a mix of purchased beers and kits and bits with the plan to buy a Robobrew or similar
in the mid term.

Unfortunately funds are a bit too tight to do that right now and since I brewed an Artisanale English from Grain & grape, I can't force myself back to kits.

I've made an ok brew since that and another fermenting away but I'd like assistance in where to put my very few dollars to get better results.

So firstly I'll list what I'm using now.

An old Crankenstein grain mill - works fine.
An extremely old Urn similar to a Crown with approx max 27 litre capacity - boil time is pretty good.
a $2 shop stainless steamer plate to keep BIAB bag away from bottom of urn
An old voile BIAB bag - about to be replaced by a new one from Craftbrewer.
A 15l Stockpot used for partials or extra water heating.
A Mashmaster plate chiller
Numerous cubes for storage.
A stirplate and number of flasks jars etc.
A mix of bucket and screw lid fermenters, airlocks, tubing, hydrometer, thermometers etc. etc.
Kegging gear etc.

So all your basic stuff but no flashy temp controlled automated super duper items.

My fermenters are currently temp controlled using a water bath and aquarium heaters.
I do have an old fridge with an STC 1000 which atm is being used to store passata that could come into play.

My brew day is done in the kitchen or undercover on top of the BBQ depending on weather..

I'm looking at doing mainly a mix of American pales and English bitters but would like to get back to a stage where I can do the odd Pilsner or Porter too
(The old fridge used to be my lagering fridge)

So, is there anything that jumps out to you guys as missing or needs improvement?

I need to spend smart dollars right now - don't need bling, just whatever might improve results.

Any suggestions?

Ta

Gerry

edit: Oh I probably should mention I'm looking at doing roughly Korny keg or cube sized batches - quality over quantity

imho a heater belt or pad in winter positioned in an area where the temp fluctuates alot is not up to scratch, i'd be having words to the passata about an impending eviction notice...i'm not sure if you have ferment temp under control but it looks like you have the equipment to make great beer

my suggestion would be to detail your typical brew day shenanigans, maybe there's a process issue, you don't sound very chuffed with your own brews? what do you need to make better?

I know, I know.

Just thought I might give some of my thoughts on what might need to be improved.

eg.
aeration currently doing nothing much
temp control - pretty basic
water quality - Melb water - soft and a bit acidic - very low Calcium
plus all the other stuff I can't think of.

Cheers

Gerry C

droid said:
imho a heater belt or pad in winter positioned in an area where the temp fluctuates alot is not up to scratch, i'd be having words to the passata about an impending eviction notice...i'm not sure if you have ferment temp under control but it looks like you have the equipment to make great beer

my suggestion would be to detail your typical brew day shenanigans, maybe there's a process issue, you don't sound very chuffed with your own brews? what do you need to make better?
I'm just sort of on a downer from having a nice big brew system to something more basic,
Yes the passata will be heading under the house in the next day or 2

I know I can make a decent American pale with what I've got (in the winter at least)
Just hoping to do more, like I used to. Might just be a confidence thing.

Thanks

Gerry C

Additional info:
The 2 BIAB's I've done seem fine, but not really up to the standards I used to make with my big brew system.
That might be just me being rusty but I'm thinking it might also be that I'm not controlling the process as well.

So if you see any big issue, let me know.
If you think I should just get over myself - you're probably right :)

The beer I've made is good, just looking for the icing on the cake

droid said:
you gotta get your brewing mojo back!
lost-mojo.jpg

You're probably 92.5% correct
Ok I'll shutup and make an ESB when the new bag arrives (my old one is kind of splitting at the seams)
Then on to a Pilsner as I'm in the middle of a Melbourne winter - using the fridge to lager.

I feel better already - Yeah Baby!

Get yourself a stir plate and some erlenmyers and become a sexy yeast rancher, guaranteed more action in the bedroom*

*guarantee not guaranteed :D

Back