The Wheatsheaf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be down at Victor for the rest of this week, hope I can pop in on the way past on Friday night for a couple.

From the Wheaty email

Little Creatures Single Batch Oatmeal Stout on tap at The Wheaty
The third in what Creatures plan to be a series of limited release, single batch beers in bottle and keg, their Oatmeal Stout (4.2% ABV) is a smooth, rich and roasty session beer.
In the words of Creatures Brewer Alex Troncoso:
Single Batch 3 started a lively discussion around the brewers table resulting in a delegated homebrewing mission to develop the recipe for our first ever stout. Pale, Crystal and Chocolate Malts combine with Roast Barley to from toasty, biscuit undertones while the addition of rolled oats smooth and round out the palate giving the beer a chewy viscosity."
"No surprise when we say several doses of US Horizon, Willamette and NZ Rakau hops have been thrown on for flavour, balance and bitterness (36 IBUs). A balanced, soft and smooth stout with some residual sweetness spiced up with an ample dose of our Little Creatures hoppy hallmark.
www.littlecreatures.com.au
Little Creatures Single Batch Oatmeal Stout on tap and in Pint Bottle from 6pm Wednesday 15th September.
Only a handful of kegs and cartons on for as long as they last!!

Thanks for the reminder mate, finally got around to subscribing to their emails. :icon_drool2:

Also on this Friday night
Ngne Imperial Brown Ale and IPA.
Pity Saturday is SA Rugby grand final day and I have a part to play in the Premier Grade final as an Assistant Referee.
Oh well season over and will be ready for a few drinks when our Qld visitor comes down on the 15th of next month.
Cheers
Nige

Bit late notice but having a congregation at the wheatsheaf tonite with a few if anyone is interested in coming down, 6pm till late.

Bit late notice but having a congregation at the wheatsheaf tonite with a few if anyone is interested in coming down, 6pm till late.

hmmmm....tempting...if anything, I will be there from 6 til early...will not be having a late one at the wheaty - bank doesn't like it, neither does my work the next day.

Dinner at mums tonight. I'll save some money but she won't have nearly the standard of beer available at the Wheaty.

Great night with jayse holty and Simon.

The seeing double is a cracker of a beer from the tap - haven't had it from a bottle for over a year so cant really compare.

And as always, left $100 lighter with two takeaways under the arm (mikkellar 1000 ibu)

Cheers
Phil

Yeap good night, many great beers, slowly making my way through the never ending list, Mikkeller Black is not a beer you forget in a hurry, as is pretty much all their beer, I drank pretty much imperial IPAs and Imperial stouts all night, in ussual drunken fashion I was last to leave.

Put oct 6th in your diaries for another wednesday night of beer.

Oh yeah the creatures stout was not much more then a easy drinking dark ale esspecial along side all the other stouts on offer, good well made beer but no stout.

4.50pm on a Long Weekend Friday and I get an email from the Wheaty! BASTARDS!!!
Tonights specials.
"
Renaissance back on Tap @ The Wheaty
Renaissance Brewing is situated in Blenheim, the heart of Marlborough wine country at the top of New Zealand's South Island. Their aim: to make beers that rival their grape based cousins.
Although having worked and trained as a brewer in California, co-founder and brewer Andy Deuchars initially moved to Marlborough to be a winemaker. An over-riding passion to try and get the New Zealand beer drinking public out of the dark ages and enlightened towards craft ales ultimately proved too much and in 2005 I swapped the grape for the grain and set about creating a range of beers that would enlighten beer palates.
www.renaissancebrewing.co.nz
Marlborough Pale Ale (8.5% ABV) or M.P.A. for short, is a uniquely kiwi take on an American Double India Pale Ale and is the biggest beer in their range. Rather than simply copying the Americans, Renaissance Brewing has taken the concept and turned it into a kiwi brew by utilising not only New Zealand grown hops but also by choosing to use only New Zealand hop varieties. M.P.A. is released seasonally as it uses the new seasons hops every autumn. In the current vintage release Renaissance has chosen to use a single varietal; Rakau. M.P.A. showcases the lovely piney, apricot and stone fruit flavours that Rakau is capable of, balancing its flavour and bitterness against a strong, malty, full bodied Ale. M.P.A. is massively hopped. One sip and you will know Rakau!

Craftsman Oatmeal Chocolate Stout (4.9% ABV) is the Big Brother to their popular Elemental Porter. Building on the flavours given by the crystal, brown and black malts, they add a portion of organic rolled oats for a silky smooth mouthfeel and a small amount of cocoa nibs to the mash and brew kettle, plus a large addition of nibs to the fermentor. The beer that matured on those cocoa nibs has a lovely chocolate nose that melds beautifully with the coffee and hop notes in the beer. The resulting Stout has a full rounded palate with chocolate and roasted notes predominating and the depth of intensity that one expects from a Stout.

Perfection Pale Ale (5% ABV) is a take on Britains traditional session beer style, a style that Andy is incredibly passionate about and is best described as an English Pale Ale. Four malts produce the beers rich amber hue and biscuity, toffeeish and nutty flavours, while their London ale yeast contributes a tart, berry-like signature. Resiny hops then cleanse the palate and dominate the beers emphatic finish.

Elemental Porter (6% ABV) is their most awarded beer, it has won gold medals in Australia and New Zealand as well as being consistently rated New Zealand's top beer. Originally the beer of choice for workers in Londons produce markets, Porter is also Andy's all time favourite beer style. Brewed in the modern robust style, Elemental Porter is a rich, full bodied brew with plenty of dry, dark chocolate and roasty malt flavours which gradually give way to a cleansing hop-driven finish.
We tap Marlborough Pale Ale and Craftsman Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from 5pm Friday 1st October (Perfection Pale & Elemental Porter to follow)On for as long as they last!"

Wednesday:-
"Drink Double Barrelled Locals @ The Wheaty
WED 6TH - 6 - 8PM
The Wheatys Drink a Local has gone Double Barrelled; launching two Local Micro taps on the same night and encouraging a spot of friendly rivalry. Next up is Lobethal Bierhaus v Barossa Brewing Co on Wed 6th October (6-8pm) followed by Steam Exchange v Brewboys on Wed 3rd November (6-8pm).
The Barossa Brewing Cos Millers Lager (5%ABV) is a crisp, unfiltered Bavarian style Lager made from German Pils, Vienna and Munich malts. Millers Lager has a snappy bitterness (30 IBUs) and is late hopped with Hersbrucker, Hallertauer and Saaz hops for pronounced floral hop character. Fermentation is carried out with Bavarian Lager Yeast in a cylindroconical fermentation vessel at 12C for 8-10 days and the beer is then lagered for a minimum of 4 weeks at 0.5C to produce a smooth, rounded palate. Millers has a beautiful golden colour and clear appearance even though we steadfastly refuse to filter! A full-bodied, fresh, well hopped lager with a big malt start and a dry, bitter finish.
www.barossabrewingcompany.com

In response to local demand for more challenging bitterness and floral hop aroma, for the month of October Lobethal Bierhaus have taken their already bitter award winning India Pale Ale (5.6% ABV) and added a generous blend of additional Kiwi & American style hops through the process of dry hopping in their bright tanks. The result is a bitter golden-copper ale (IBUs into the 50s) with intense hop aroma and flavour likely to turn your teeth green! As with our IPA the grist bill for this beer comprises a blend of three different malts (Traditional Ale as the base and then Munich & Crystal as Specialties). Challenger hops are added early in the boil (for bitterness), a combination of Fuggles and East Kent Goldings form the base for flavour and aroma and then the additional dry hopping takes this beer over the top.
www.bierhaus.com.au
Drink Millers Lager and Double Hopped IPA and Meet the Local Brewers from 6-8pm
The Wheatsheaf Hotel Wednesday 6th October"

Next Friday:-
"Experimental Goats on Tap
FRI 8TH - 5PM
The Mountain Goat boys have been good enough to swing us a handful of kegs of their experimental brews; a big, thick Doppelbock; a big, thick Hightail; a fresh hoppy Hightail and a maltier, more IPA like India Pale Ale.
Richard III Doppelbock (7.4% ABV) is a collaborative brew with our good mate Richard Watkins, from the Wig and Pen Brewery in Canberra (hence the name). Richard III not because its a hunch-backed, malevolent, power hungry English king, but because its the third Bock weve made and well, its obvious, yeah? For those who dont speak German, a Doppelbock means double, or strong Bock. A Bock is a robust, dark, malty lager. A Doppelbock is a REALLY robust, dark, malty lager. Richard III comes in at 7.4% alc/vol, is deep amber in colour and will warm the cockles of your heart during this transeasonal time of year.

IPA (5.5% ABV). For those on board the spring train, we have brought back an old favourite Goat India Pale Ale. We brewed it with Wheat and Crystal malts and then dry-hopped it with Australian bred and grown Galaxy pellets. Its got tropical and fruity hop characters on the nose and toasty, maltiness on the palate.

Fancypants Amber Ale (4.9% ABV) is a Richmond-style Amber Ale brewed with Vienna and Munich malts and a smattering of Tassie Galaxy hops for a decidedly fruity aroma and flavour that has us thinking about BBQs and leaving the house without a jacket. Essentially a dry hopped, extra hoppy Hightail Ale.

Double Hightail (7.2% ABV). Goat have just packaged 233 cases of Double Hightail in 650ml longnecks. What's it like? It's like Hightail but with more. More malt, more hops - more Hightail. Weve got a keg of Double Hightail and a handful of longnecks (along with Rarebreed Surefoot Stout 650ml) bottles available now!
IPA keg tapped 5pm Friday 8th October; other kegs to follow.
On for as long as they last!"

Just gets better and better!
And Chappo is down the following weekend!
New liver on order!
Cheers
Nige

I'm at the Wheaty typing this. What a really worthwhile post.

I'm at the Wheaty typing this. What a really worthwhile post.
Wish I was, not able to get down til later on Sunday, leave some for me Hatchy. Let us know what's good.
Definitely up for Wednesdays Local Micro night. :) Double Hopped Lobie IPA :icon_drool2:
Cheers
Nige

I just hate reading threads like these

wish I could have been there

Gone now, having a yiros on the way to brewboys.

anyone heading down tonight from 6pm? I've got today and tomorrow off - but don't plan on having a big one.

Hey Trendsetters,

I will be heading down for a couple hours.

I cant make it tonight unfortunately lads. Will be there next Fri though with Chappo!

I will be down there. Not sure what time though.

Latest posts

Back