The Wheatsheaf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cant make it this week but next week might be OK - I'll try and shuffle a few things :D

Out too.
Saving pennies for Chappo's visit.
Muckey, We need to organise transport from the north. You reckon butters will be the designated driver? :ph34r:
Off tomorrow(Thursday) might brew.

Next Wednesday looks like a good night to head down to the Wheaty.

Fair Maidens, Oak Aged Pale Ale and Yeastman Chris White culture The Wheaty!
Legendary Yeastman Chris White is in town and were lucky enough to have him pay us a visit. Come help Chris flocculate the Front Bar (and attenuate the taps) from 6-8pm Wednesday 3rd November.
White Labs President Chris White started the lab in 1995 after researching and developing a library of brewers yeast strains from around the world. White Labs Inc has a long history of helping brewers make better tasting beer. Over the years White Labs has expanded to providing pure yeast cultures to winemakers and distillers and now offers a wide range of fermentation products, such as enzymes and nutrients, as well as a plethora of testing options. All yeast nerds welcome!
www.whitelabs.com
The Wheatys Drink a Local has gone Double Barrelled; launching two Local Micro taps on the same night and encouraging a spot of friendly rivalry. Next up is Steam Exchange v Brewboys on Wed 3rd November (6-8pm) followed by Lobethal Bierhaus v Barossa Brewing Co on Wed 1st December (6-8pm).
Well, hold down your petticoats, the Brewboys have made a special springtime release of the Maiden Ale by special request of the Wheatsheaf Hotel. This is a once in a lifetime experience to taste the Maiden Ale as youve never tasted her before enter Fair Maiden (4.9% ABV). This version is paler in colour, in order to reduce some malt sweetness, and slightly higher in bitterness. The malt recipe is the same as regular Maiden, sparing the cara-red and crystal a little. The main difference though, is in the hop aroma and flavour profile. The same New Zealand hop flowers were used in the brewhouse, Pacific Gem for bittering (around 29 IBUs) and Motueka for flavour and in the hop back for aroma. Later we dry hopped the ferment using a petticoat-full of Pacific Gem hops, which should spice up the aroma a long way. Brewboys Simon & Stephen
www.brewboys.com.au
Steam Exchanges Oak-Aged Pale Ale (5.8%ABV) is created using a blend of Maris, Traditional and crystal malts (from Australia and England) and a touch of puffed wheat. Hops for bitterness are of noble origin from Germany, whilst flavour and aroma hops are East Kent and Czech Styrian Goldings. It is this unique blend that gives our Pale Ale its malt powered backbone and soft but strong bitterness in order for it to withstand the French oak onslaught. The ale is brewed as per our normal Pale Ale (Fullers London yeast) then conditioned on French oak for approximately 8 to 10 weeks, before being transferred to kegs. It's actually unfiltered, but the extended time on oak allows it to 'drop bright' naturally. It comes in at 38 IBU's, but you'd hardly notice it given the malt/oak profile. Our Pale won a Bronze in the wood-aged beer category at the 2010 AIBA... Gareth Andrews, Brewmaster
www.steamexchange.com.au
Drink Fair Maiden & Oak Aged IPA and Meet the Local Brewers from 6-8pm
The Wheatsheaf Hotel Wednesday 3rd November

Hope to see a few guys down there for this one.
Cheers
Nige

I will be going to the wheaty tonight as ussual, anyone else?

Last time Chris was in Adelaide we had quite a few brewers and a great session, must be five odd years ago now,he seems to have lost some hair in that time if my memory serves me and was meaning to ask if that has anything to do with having to put up with stupid homebrewers questions :blink:

After last night I'm never drinking again. At least until I get home from work tomorrow anyway.

I just got an email from Mrs Hatchy. They have steam exchange oak aged pale ale on tap. We're in. I hate being under the thumb sometimes.

After last night I'm never drinking again. At least until I get home from work tomorrow anyway.

I just got an email from Mrs Hatchy. They have steam exchange oak aged pale ale on tap. We're in. I hate being under the thumb sometimes.

1hr and 5mins to get over a hangover.... I am impressed. ;)

I am glad I made it to the Wheaty last night.

It was great to catch up with more new and plenty of familiar faces.

Getting to meet and chat with Chris White was an absolute pleasure. Great discussion over yeasts, ptiching rates, storage of yeasties and other beer related chat.

The beers were not too shabby either. :icon_drunk:

Just received this email from the Wheaty:

Stone & Wood Kellerbier on Tap @ The Wheaty
Stone & Wood boys Brad Rogers and Jamie Cook like to keep things fresh, so theyve brewed a limited release of Kellerbier (4.9% ABV) for spring. Kellerbier is a German style of lager that isnt filtered or pasteurised. Unlike filtered lagers, Kellerbier has a distinctly cloudy appearance because it contains its original brewing yeast held in suspension. The term literally translates to cellar beer. As an added twist their Kellerbier is dry hopped in the tank to give it a punchy hop aroma. Traditionally, Kellerbier is enjoyed from freshly tapped kegs during the warmer months of spring. A strictly limited release!

After the Kellerbier runs dry well tap Stone & Wood Draught Ale (4.4% ABV), so-called because it is drawn straight from the storage tank at the brewery; unfiltered and unpasteurised. In the words of brewer Brad Rogers;

When we sample it out of the tank it tastes so fresh and alive with a big fruity aroma. We were originally inspired to brew this style of beer by the European village breweries whose ales were brewed and delivered fresh to be enjoyed in the pubs of the surrounding local area. Brewed with local water from the Byron Bay hinterland, Australian grown barley, wheat and hops and carefully selected ale yeast we have crafted a beer with complex flavours and a refreshing bitter finish.

www.stoneandwood.com.au

Stone & Wood Kellerbier on tap from 6pm Wednesday 10th November

Just In:

HopWired IPA, The Big Smoke (smoked porter), and ReWired Brown Ale - all in stock now....

www.8wired.co.nz

Had the hop wired IPA monday, tasting very fresh and lovely.

Has anyone put any thought into whether they're likely to be at the Wheaty for locals night next week? I'm pretty sure I'll be keen for 2 or 3 pints.

No thought put into it but I will most likely be there.

I wasn't asking you mate, I sort of assumed you'd already be there waiting for everyone else.

Latest email from the Wheaty (the big smoked porter sounds delightful):

<H1 style="MARGIN: 3.75pt 0cm 1.5pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 10.5pt">Emersons Organic Pilsner and the End of the World!</H1>Weve secured a handful of kegs of an all-time Wheaty favourite; the truly unique Emersons Pilsner.

A Kiwi Classic, Emersons Pilsner (4.9% ABV) is a showcase for Nelson grown Riwaka hops. Its overt fruitiness begs comparison with Marlboroughs world-beating Sauvignon Blancs. Emersons Pilsner oozes citrus and passionfruit aromas and flavours. The beers palate shows a hint of early malt sweetness but develops a lengthy dry finish. Richard Emerson, Brewmaster

With a herbal aroma reminiscent of the hop plants closest (but not quite legal) relative, a hay-like pilsner malt backbone and a dry, crusp finish, Emersons is indeed the ale drinkers Pils.

Keg tapped from 3pm Friday 17th December
On for as long as it lasts!

Finally; The End of the World is here!

EPIC Armageddon IPA has arrived, along with more of NZs finest: 8Wired Hopwired IPA & Big Smoke Porter, Tuatara APA and Emersons Pilsner & IPA (all 500ml Bottles). Available until theyre not

Work xmas show then xmas shopping with the missus! No chance for me unfortunately mate.

Latest email received last night:

Just in time (but only just!) for Christmas, The Wheaty has put together a selection of handpicked, feature 6 packs, including:

Wheaty IPA 6 Pack- 6 of our favourite Hop Monsters! $90

Anderson Valley Brewing Co "Hop Ottin" IPA (8% ABV), Mendocino USA, 650ml
Brouwerij de Molen "Vuur & Vlam" IPA (6.2% ABV), Bodegraven Netherlands, 750ml
Emerson's "1812" IPA (4.9% ABV), Dunedin NZ, 500ml
EPIC "Armageddon" IPA (6.66% ABV), Auckland NZ, 500ml
8 Wired "HopWired" IPA (7.3% ABV), Blenheim NZ, 500ml
Mikkeller "Single Hop" IPA (6.9% ABV), Denmark, 330ml

Wheaty Black & Tan 6 Pack Not that we endorse that kind of beer tampering! $65

Rogue "Dry Hopped Red" (5.3% ABV), Oregon USA, 355ml
Emerson's "Organic Pilsner" (4.9% ABV), Dunedin NZ, 500ml
Mikkeller "Yeast Series Pale Ale" (8% ABV), Denmark, 330ml
Dieu du Ciel! "Aphrodisiac" Cocoa Vanilla Stout (6.5% ABV), Montreal Canada, 341ml
Anderson Valley Brewing Co "Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout" (5.7% ABV), Mendocino USA 650ml
Flying Dog "Gonzo Imperial Porter" (7.8% ABV), Maryland USA, 330ml

Wheaty Weird Ass 6 Pack Consider it a challenge! $60

Rogue "Chatoe Creek" Cherry Pale Ale (6% ABV), Oregon USA, 650ml
Mikkeller "Cherry Alive! Imperial Sour Cherry Ale (9% ABV), Denmark, 250ml
Trappiste "Orval" Trappist Ale (6.2% ABV), Villers-devant-Orval Belgium, 330ml
Dieu du Ciel! "Route des Espices" Peppercorn Rye Ale (5% ABV), Montreal Canada, 341ml
Hitachino Nest "Sweet Stout" Milk Stout (4.5% ABV), Ibaraki Japan, 330ml
Mikkeller "Big Worst" Barleywine (17.6% ABV), Denmark, 375ml

Wheaty Local Black & Tan 6 Pack Local Hoppy and Roasty goodness! $20

3 x Brewboys "Maiden Ale" Amber Ale (4.9% ABV), Croydon Park SA, 330ml
Lobethal Bierhaus "Chocolate Oatmeal Stout" (5.7% ABV), Lobethal SA, 330ml
Brewboys "Ace of Spades" Stout (5.9% ABV), Croydon Park SA, 330ml
Steam Exchange "Truffles" Bourbon Vanilla Porter (6.5% ABV), Goolwa SA, 330ml

Note: The content and price of our 6 packs will vary according to what we've got in stock at the time, but rest assured we'll replace anything we run out of with something equally as delicious and/or challenging!

And if you need something to read while contemplating these brews, we've got a trio ready to go;
The Beer Lover's Guide to Australia - $25 (RRP $34.95) www.beerloversguide.com.au
Pubs SA Guide $12 (RRP $14.95)
This could be serious Don Morrison - $20

Also, the SAMBA Guide (a guide to South Australian Microbreweries) is available any time of year; free of charge.

And finally, so you don't all think The Wheaty has morphed into a bookselling Bottlo', our old favourite Mountain Goat IPA is back on tap as we speak for 4 kegs worth!

Latest posts

Back