The Wheatsheaf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the latest Wheaty Email.......Shame I will be enjoying a schnitty and Coopers Aged Best Extra Stout on handpump :icon_drool2: at The Alehouse tonight... maybe get down after 8.30pm.

Aaaaaahhhh.....Springtime.......
The almond blossom is out, new local beers are pouring; the birds are singing; lots of live music is happening; it's still bloody raining; Mikkeller and Ngne are on tap; footy season is almost over; the Roller Derby Grand Final is on......
Come and celebrate all of these things by popping in to The Wheaty this September - we'll have a Stout for you on the chilly days, and a Steam Ale for the warm ones - see you at the bar!

DRINK @ LOCAL - Steam Exchange vs. Brew Boys
WED 1ST - 6-8PM
Steam Exchanges flagship Steam Ale (4.8%ABV), made in the fine tradition of the Californian goldfield classic, has been cranked up a few notches; the latest batch is considerably hoppier than its predecessors thanks to dry hopping with US Amarillo hops. In the words of Steam Exchanges Gareth Andrews: Brewed in small open fermenters, Steam Exchange Steam Ale is a special blend of Pale, Crystal and Carapils malt with German noble hops for bittering and Nelson (NZ) and Yakima (US) hops for flavour and aroma (29 IBUs). We then dry hopped the brew with Amarillo hops. The yeast employed originates from San Francisco and is best described as a pseudo lager/ale strain of approximately 150 years of age. (www.steamexchange.com.au )
Brewboys Seeing Double (8% ABV) is a luscious little lipsmacker, with a rich ruby hue, and the strength of a highland bull. A died-in-the-wool ale of old with its heart in the Northernmost distilling districts of the Highlands and Islands.
Seeing Double, so named because its originator is a twin, is a complex and hearty Wee Heavy; Tawny in colour, with an inviting fume and a feint reek from the use of peated malt (Bairds 6%) normally reserved for whisky making. You may also detect banana or lolly-like esters amongst the caramel and toffee laced vapours. The syrupy palate is thick and coating and releases wisps of flavours termed congeners by whisky connoisseurs. The East Kent Goldings and Willamette hops are restrained in-keeping with the traditional style and the Scots loathing of expensive Southern Fantoosh.
Following on from Seeing Double the Ace makes a welcome return to tap! In the words of brewers Stephen & Simon Ace of Spades (5.9% ABV) is a fine Extra Stout with rich, complex and dark roasted characters. With abounding coffee-like aroma and strong cocoa bean bouquet, the aromatics are as striking as the appearance. You cant get any blacker. Roasted barley, Roasted malted wheat, Choc chit malt and black malt are all called upon to intensify the blackest beer we could possibly make. www.brewboys.biz
Drink Dry Hopped Steam Ale & Seeing Double and Meet the Local Brewers from 6-8pm
The Wheatsheaf Hotel Wednesday 1st September

Mikkeller IBU Fest @ The Wheaty
FRI 10TH - FROM 5PM
Mikkeller is back on tap with plenty of hop inspired goodness including Hefe, Lager and US Ale Yeast Series Pale Ales, Jackie Brown, Black and I Beat You (an Australian exclusive!). Kegs tapped from 5pm Fri 10th Sept kicking off with I Beat You and Black. On for as long as they last!
Weve also got plenty of new bottled Mikkeller, including 1000 IBU IPA (and Barrel Aged 1000 IBU), Cherry Alive, 10 IPA, Beer Hop Breakfast and the complete Yeast Series (Hefe, Lager, US Ale, Belgian Ale and Brettanomyces).
www.mikkeller.dk

Ngne on tap @ The Wheaty
FRI 17TH - FROM 5PM
For the first time ever well be pouring Ngnes beautifully balanced, frontier beers on tap; Norways feisty answer to Mikkeller and Rogue. Well open with Ngne Imperial Brown Ale and IPA followed by their Pale Ale and Brun. On for as long as they last!
Weve also got plenty of new bottled Ngne, including #500 Double IPA, Sunturnbrew, julesnadder, Imperial Stout and Dark Horizon.
www.nogne-o.com

ROLLER DERBY GRAND FINAL DOUBLE HEADER
SUN 26TH - 2PM
3rd place playoff: Salty dolls vs Mile Die Club
Grand Final: Wild Hearses vs Road Train Rollers
Adelaide Roller Derby Inc. aims to develop a group of women who are committed and passionate about the sport of flat track roller derby. We are a non-profit Association, run by the skaters and for the skaters and dedicated to promoting sport over spectacle. Safety, athleticism and teamwork are highly regarded values for the Adelaide Roller Derby Inc. as we structure an empowering and enduring experience for the women of Adelaide.
www.myspace.com/adelaiderollerderby
book tickets: adrd.oztix.com.au/default.aspx

Shame I will be enjoying a schnitty and Coopers Aged Best Extra Stout on handpump :icon_drool2: at The Alehouse tonight... maybe get down after 8.30pm.

Ooooo...did I mention I'm in town tonight too....:D

Am thinking Jayse may be at the Wheaty as Brew Boys are featured tonight.
Any other Adelaide brewers heading down?

Am stuck at The Alehouse (Earl on Carrington St) till at least 8.15 as they announce the referee appointments for local rugby tonight.

Sitting in the Wheaty as I type... The line up on tap ATM includes Rogue American Amber Ale, Mad brewers noir stout, Le Baron Noir, Greenock Victorville Ale, Bierhaus chocolate oatmeal stout, moo brew stout, moo brew dark ale and eugene triple jump....

I'm hoping to try them all :-D

Where was our invite Schooey?!

We Adelaidian's dont bite, at least not till after 10pm anyways.

Damn, I'll be flying over Adelaide on Friday night. Maybe I'll ask the pilot to make a quick pitstop for a couple of pints (or not-pints in SA).

Yeap I'll be at the Wheaty tonight, ussually go to every double barrelled local first wednesday of the month thingos.
6-8pm is the ussuall time slot but most brewers stay on into the late evening, if you buy a local between 6-8pm you can get in on the draw for a nice prize of beer and/or merch also good chance of getting one of the brewers to buy you a beer if your a nice enough fellow.

Going by the email looks like Gareth has upped the steam ale a notch so will be looking forward to that, its pretty much the only time you'll find the Brewboys Seeing Double on tap but at 8.5% I am sure the keg will last a little while.

Be good to see a few other fellow home brewers rock up to these nights, there are a fair few regulars but always good to see others coming down to join the fun.

Hey Jayse,
First Wednesday of the month is the downside for me in Rugby season, we referees meet at The Earl on the same night.
Last meeting of the year tonight so will be hoping to get down over the summer months.
Will get away as soon as I can tonight and head for the Wheaty for one or two.

No worries, I understand some people giving up beer events for sport but rugby? ;) :lol:
Summer works great for me, school holidays, baby sitter and time to play up. :chug:

There goes my plan for a night without a beer tonight. Looks like I'll be feeling as poorly at work tomorrow as I did today.

Note to self, leave the credit card at home.

Booo...no stout left on the handpump, so having a quick pizza and heading to the wheaty....seeyas there!

And a few Canadian beers later that I can't even pronounce the names of, a few local beers, a few northern europeans that again can't pronounce, a couple rogues that are almost mainstream nowadays, a japanese number and now back home. :super:

So spoilt for choice for beer and it makes it so much better enjoying them with great friends, old and new.

Cheers Guys and gals.
Jayse

What a great night...lots of laughs and excellent beers to boot. Loved the brewboys seeing double from the tap, way different to the bottle! Great also to meet Gareth from Steam Exchange and chew the fat with him about his brewing and beers. Good to meet a few fellows from the SA brewing brethren too... Nige, Jayse, Hatchy; it was a pleasure to share a beer or three with you. And Hatchy, I reckon you got a keeper there..a woman who can drink the Mikeller 1000 IBU and sing it's praises? Respeck! Not to mention having us all in stitches a fair bit of the time...Best wishes to both of you on your big day in 5 weeks or so :)

If anyone is visiting Adelaide in the near future, put this place at the top of your list of thongs to do. If you don't, your just missing out

Was a top couple of hours, would of loved to get there earlier.
Good meeting you Schooey, Hatch and Hatch's ex girlfriend and the other two random guys.
Good to see you again Jayse, have to make 1st Wednesdays a regular thing.
Didn't have too many but those I tasted were superb... and the company was fantastic!
Cheers
Nige

Edit:- Just noticed the sig Schooey, made my nightcap come out of my nose!

If anyone is visiting Adelaide in the near future, put this place at the top of your list of thongs to do. If you don't, your just missing out

Definitely a "thong to do". I went there when Chappo was in Adelaide earlier in the year, I hadn't been there for about 10 years & on my visit previously I reckon there was 2 beers on tap. If any brewers are in town & keen for a beer then my arm won't take much twisting. Stacks of great beers & staff that really know their beer, they have a folder behind the bar with a beer menu that includes the beers that didn't fit on the blackboard.

I stand by last nights drunken rant about pints & "imperial pints". However, when ordering a tap beer at the Wheaty they ask if you want it in a pint* or a "fancy". I'm not sure if the fancy is more or less than 425ml or if they charge more or less for one. The thing I like about the fancy is that if you ask for a fancy glass you get a fancy glass. If you ask for a pint you get 425ml which clearly is not a pint.

*it isn't a pint

Edit: read Nige's edit which made me read Shooey's sig which made me wish I had a beerproof cover for my laptop. I'll send the link to this thread to my ex-girlfriend/fiance/future wife/drinking buddy who went to bed & left me to drink by myself. She'll love it.

Definitely a "thong to do". I went there when Chappo was in Adelaide earlier in the year, I hadn't been there for about 10 years & on my visit previously I reckon there was 2 beers on tap.
I was told that under the old landlord there was a Coopers Pale Ale tap and a West End Draught tap, kegs were kept in an insulated room that got up to 50 degrees in summer. You could pick a regular because they always ordered bottled beer. I think the old landlord (I believe his name is brown) still runs a quiz on saturday mornings.

I think the old landlord (I believe his name is brown) still runs a quiz on saturday mornings.

Ah yes, the old days at the Wheaty!
I used to live across the road when browny was the landlord, so close I could crawl home and not put holes in the jeans :D

Like now, there was no pokies, no TAB and normally only a radio as the TV was often on the blink. 40 years worth of yellow nicotine stains on the ceilings, some staff used to live upstairs and it was very dangerous when you got to shut up shop with them as sometimes you wouldn't get out of the doors for hours after closing. :chug:
Glorious evenings singing along to Tom Jones "The green green grass of home" which browny put on 'coz be wanted everyone to go home "coz he was on a promise to the wife".

It was a really nice community with lots of locals regularly visiting and browny mostly wanted to keep it that way. It was a big change when the beer garden went in, very flash and modern like :D

It was the only country pub in the middle of Adelaide, but things change and the current management have kept the best parts of the Wheaty and updated those bits that probably needed a bit of TLC, like the range of beers, and the regular cleaning of beer lines :icon_vomit:

But I still think Browny was the best pub landlord I've ever met, looked after the locals, kept a good family atmosphere, ran it for the community, had a lot of fun doing it.

Cheers to the Wheatsheaf past, present and I hope future!

Cheers,
Creedy

Back