The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maple;s hops showed up yesterday via regular post. so we are all good. missus threw them in the freeezer so I cant somment on whetehr his hops are all mixed in together.

No delivery again today.

What do you reckon Bribie, get the PO to work out what barcodes are not delivered?

Have just finished vac-sealing all 40x 100g bags of hops :)

All looked and smelt good to me :)

Weight wise, the Cascade, Marco Polo and Saaz were all within 5g of the KG, with the exception being the Cluster, which was approx 30g over, not that I'm complaining :)

Anywho, thanks again to all involved in the BB, and I can only recommend the Vac Sealer from the current BB as it is the one I've just used :)

Cheers

Cheers guys for all the hard work,
Just used the Marco Polo in a Chinese IPA,
10kg Pilsner, 1kg Munich-1
35gms 60min
25gms 20min, 15min, 10min, 5min,
46L

No chilled and will dry hop the fermenters with some extra
Smelled and tasted great - really looking forward to a try.

Marlow

When's the first Chinese beer due for drinking ? The proof's going to be in the final product reports.

Until then, I'll stick to my more expensive but 100% reliable supplies (nods to the fine folks @ Ellerslie)

Maple;s hops showed up yesterday via regular post. so we are all good. missus threw them in the freeezer so I cant somment on whetehr his hops are all mixed in together.
Thanks for that boss!

Re Chappo's hops

Our Chappo has been supplied today with a good whack of the 5 hops by enthusiastic local members, and Hopfmeister Graham of course, nobody is out of pocket, and everyone still has enough hops to last them till well after the next buy, or in any case till Hell starts to cool slightly but not yet completely frozen over, so all sorted. Anything owing to anyone from anyone will be adjusted for at the forthcoming buy anyway.

All sorted, guys, no need to post anything but thanks for any kind thoughts and offers regarding Chappo :) :) The lad is overwhelmed and is getting his mojo back. Yay.
Special thanks to Tidal Pete for coming down from the Sunny coast to facilitate the event. Onya Pete.

:icon_cheers:

Sorry guys, can someone tell me the AA for these hops I cant be stuffed looking through 56 pages. I have all varieties including Nugget

Cheers,

Jim

JJ,

asked the same question myself recently, got the following from that answer:

Cascade 5.8%
Cluster 6.8%
Marco Polo 12%
Nugget 13%
Saaz 4.3%

Cheers

Picked up my hops from the PO yesterday, 20c sized hole in the express post bag and corresponding hole in one of the hop bags...luckily it was just one bag of hops damaged so no drama...any lost through the hole by Aust Post really won't be noticed by me as I'll never use 1kg of each anyways ;)

Picked up my hops from the PO yesterday, 20c sized hole in the express post bag and corresponding hole in one of the hop bags...luckily it was just one bag of hops damaged so no drama...any lost through the hole by Aust Post really won't be noticed by me as I'll never use 1kg of each anyways ;)

With so many people having holes in their bags, it makes you wonder if our posties were checking out the contents to see if they were going to score some christmas cheer!

Just thought I should provide the bag weights in mine.

Saaz was 1030g, Cluster was 1000g and Cascade was 1015g.

I think its great we got Chappo his hops, well!!!!!!!!!!!! enough hops til the next major buy in October 2010. I just love the giving spirit this hobby has.

On the bag front, this is for future reference.

For those in future packs, ANYWHERE in the country, its obvious to me now that the bags were overfilled (or at least not crossed checked). It only tales 10 grams over to make a difference, and this seems like what has happened.

Any distributors in the future
1. Check you get say 10 times 1 kg bags out of a 10 kg pack
2. underweigh more than overweigh - they are cheap enough

Craftbrewer

Absolutely STOKED! :) :) :) :)

A very big thank you to you guys and the local Brewerhood for the very kind gesture indeed. I was not expecting that at all yesterday. I was absolutely dumb founded when Bribie gave me the hops. I was only calling in for a G'day as I was in the area with the Sully family having a day at Bribie Island on the water to escape the oppressive heat.

I truely don't know how to repay you guys but I am sure I will find a way to repay you in kind over the next few months.

A Very Humble

Chappo

I think its great we got Chappo his hops, well!!!!!!!!!!!! enough hops til the next major buy in October 2010. I just love the giving spirit this hobby has.

For those in future packs, ANYWHERE in the country, its obvious to me now that the bags were overfilled (or at least not crossed checked). It only tales 10 grams over to make a difference, and this seems like what has happened.

Craftbrewer

Look at it this way. If every purchaser understands up front that they are going to get 950g in each pack, then if they order 3 they only need to send a 3kg bag next time and not a 5k, and if they order 4 or 5 then they only need to send the 5kg bag, as the satchels will then come in at legal weight, so they have saved themselves at least $2 per kilo immediately. For the sake of 50g they are dollars and dollars ahead. That being the case we will then refer to the packs from there on as 'repacks' rather than 'kilos'. It would then be crazy not to order either 3 repacks or 5 repacks, if you are concerned about postage costs. It also eases the dust problem and means that Graham doesn't have to do arcane calculations re 'slippage' when ordering the bulk quantity from China.

Chappo: thank Tidal Pete who was the main architect, and Graham of course. I only provided the beer :p

Edit: on the subject of scales calibration, next packing day if someone could just bring along a kilo pack of ALDI rice and have a weigh around at the beginning, that should solve that one.

Bribie I have calibration weights that I acquired. I'll pass them on to you at the next BABBS meeting.

Big thanks to TP, Graham and the rest for the Hops.

Look at it this way. If every purchaser understands up front that they are going to get 950g in each pack, then if they order 3 they only need to send a 3kg bag next time and not a 5k, and if they order 4 or 5 then they only need to send the 5kg bag, as the satchels will then come in at legal weight, so they have saved themselves at least $2 per kilo immediately. For the sake of 50g they are dollars and dollars ahead. That being the case we will then refer to the packs from there on as 'repacks' rather than 'kilos'. It would then be crazy not to order either 3 repacks or 5 repacks, if you are concerned about postage costs. It also eases the dust problem and means that Graham doesn't have to do arcane calculations re 'slippage' when ordering the bulk quantity from China.

Chappo: thank Tidal Pete who was the main architect, and Graham of course. I only provided the beer :p

Edit: on the subject of scales calibration, next packing day if someone could just bring along a kilo pack of ALDI rice and have a weigh around at the beginning, that should solve that one.
Wouldn't a Kilo of H2o be easier. ;)
GB

Bribie I have calibration weights that I acquired. I'll pass them on to you at the next BABBS meeting.

Big thanks to TP, Graham and the rest for the Hops.

Mate, you didn't think for one mear moment we were going to actually listen to you and your request for "no hops". By now you should realise, well will do what is right.

REGARDLESS

Craftbrewer

Craftbrewer

How about when people send in their Aust Post satchels they also attach a sticker or two on each one with "Contains Hops" or similar to discourage nosey postmen. Being fair to Aust Post employees from previous experiences it's more likely nosey Aust Post sub-contractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back