The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the PO they were queuing out of the doors into the street so I fronted up to the counter waving a couple of baggies and said "I've got about a hundred of these in the car". Sweet as, they allocated a staff member to meet me round the side door and I wheeled in 5 fully loaded Woolies trolleys :eek: and within a few minutes the back room smelled like a brewery :p However the lassie was quite pleased to get the job of checking them off, it got her off the counter dealing with the old fart Bribie Island public for half an hour or so.

One 3k satchel had 3 bags of hops in it, it weighed in at 3016 grams and got rejected, I've boxed it up and posted it separately - it's local Brisbane. That was one that slipped through the system but it goes to show that Ross was dead right early on in the piece regarding what size satchels to use.

Anyway, doing an all Cluster XXX shortly

woohooo :D

:icon_offtopic: Brisbane's legendary Suncorp Stadiums 50 metre line. Yes Real Beer you have a very good point there(Go the mighty Bronco's :D )

So, at the end of the day, how much did a kilo of these hops end up costing?

I paid a total of $42.50 for three kilos. Cant remember exactly but they were around the $14-$15 mark for a kilo.
Cheers
Steve

Edit: from the start of the first buy thread:

FINAL COSTS

Saaz/Cluster/Nugget - $14.00 a kilogram
Cascade - $14.50 a kilogram
Marco Polo - $16.50 a kilogram

Was there any money left over craftbrewer?

If so can I be the first to vote that the left over money is split in two, with half going to craftbrewer and half going to this site as a donation?

Or has something already been arranged?

SNIP... Personally I won't be using the current crop of Saaz or Cascade in any of my own brews. Verdict on the Marco Polo is open until I taste the test batch of Summer Ale, the aroma is intense & fascinating, but the the onion/garlic has me a little worried.

I must admit I have the same concerns there Ross. But proof will be in the finished beer, yeah?

Now I am no expert and not a professional but here's my initial impressions with the hops for those interested:

Marco Polo - is by far the freshiest hop and probably the most interesting. I get intense aromas a sweet pungent fruity aroma underneath the definite onion/garlic/chives aroma that really hits you hard after a while IMHO. In fact it almost dominates the entire aroma it's that strong for me. The pellets themselves were very green and fresh looking.

Cascade - definitely smells cascade-ish like with some nice citrus notes. I even get a slight lime note in the background. There is a definite wet musty/mildue aroma best I can describe it is wet dog/blanket smell. The pellets were pretty dry feeling and no where near as fresh looking or feeling as the Marco Polo. If I didn't know better I would have guessed they were older hops. Again I am not expert here.

Saaz - grassy hay straw notes with very faint citus and a bit of pear. Now no one else got this but I also get an industrial burnt smell like hot quenched metal (if your familar with that smell) aroma. Only in my opinion as i use Saaz quite a bit is these aren't close to Saaz as I know it. Again the hop pellets were dry and lacking the colour of the Marco Polo's and again I suspect they are older.

The Nugget and Cluster I want to have another sniff and feel again before commenting on these.

I am hoping that some of these hops will make a good beer of sorts. I am sure that not every hop will be a cracker but I do hope at least one is more than acceptable. At a guess the MP will either be a complete shiner or a spectacular failure but I am pinning my hopes on it as it stands out miles ahead of the rest in aroma colour and percieved freshness.

Chap Chap

Marco Polo - is by far the freshiest hop and probably the most interesting. I get intense aromas a sweet pungent fruity aroma underneath the definite onion/garlic/chives aroma that really hits you hard after a while IMHO. In fact it almost dominates the entire aroma it's that strong for me. The pellets themselves were very green and fresh looking.

Ive been thinking, could this have something todo with the terroir of the growing region? Maybe these fields where/are laden with garlic and spring onion plantations?

But proof will be in the finished beer, yeah?

Now I am no expert and not a professional but here's my initial impressions with the hops for those interested:

Cascade - definitely smells cascade-ish like with some nice citrus notes. I even get a slight lime note in the background. There is a definite wet musty/mildue aroma best I can describe it is wet dog/blanket smell. The pellets were pretty dry feeling and no where near as fresh looking or feeling as the Marco Polo. If I didn't know better I would have guessed they were older hops. Again I am not expert here.

The Nugget and Cluster I want to have another sniff and feel again before commenting on these.

Firstly be careful what you smell people. many places still use sulhur in the process, and that might be masking smells. Remember these came straight from the packers, they haven't had time to mature at all. That said proof is more in the pudding

BUT chappo

You made a beer with the Cascade yesterday.

What were the impresions of the smell out of the kettle, and cooled beers.

Craftbrewer

maybe they need to bleach the marco polo like their garlic to remove the garlic taste :p

If I didn't know better I would have guessed they were older hops.
Year of the Rat Hops :angry:

look in all seriousness if they are crap then they are crap. if you went into this expecting world class hops then you were foolish. we knew that these hops were an unknown item in terms of quality, flavour etc. hence the interest in trying them out.

they are what they are. if you dont like them dont buy them again. IMO the people putting their hands up for the 2nd BB should be waiting to see the results from us guinnie pigs. but to each their own.

again a big thanks to graham for organising and to the packers for packing.

Firstly be careful what you smell people. many places still use sulhur in the process, and that might be masking smells. Remember these came straight from the packers, they haven't had time to mature at all. That said proof is more in the pudding

BUT chappo

You made a beer with the Cascade yesterday.

What were the impresions of the smell out of the kettle, and cooled beers.

Craftbrewer

Never brewed yesterday it was way too busy and intense to brew. I will however be brewing either Wednesday or Thursday night so I'll report what I find then. I guess everybody will have their hops by then and can make their own opinions and judgement.

I can tell you I didn't get sulphur GLS but one of the hops I have refrained from commenting on as yet did have a very musky manky odour.

I can't see maturing hops would help them? They would just loose even flavour and aroma, no?

CM2 I totally agree with you on that front. I find it jaw dropping that everyone is jumping on the band wagon before even any of these hops have touched wort. I would be hanging back and seeing what the feedback is first and then getting in there if there is a stand out.

Look I have vested interest in these hops as well but I figure it's better to be honest and straight forward about MY initial impressions than trying to fluff them up.

Year of the Rat Hops :angry:

look in all seriousness if they are crap then they are crap. if you went into this expecting world class hops then you were foolish. we knew that these hops were an unknown item in terms of quality, flavour etc. hence the interest in trying them out.

they are what they are. if you dont like them dont buy them again. IMO the people putting their hands up for the 2nd BB should be waiting to see the results from us guinnie pigs. but to each their own.

I'll defend this to a point. I used to sort tobacco as a young fella, and get it straight from the drying room onto the belt and grade it. Interesting thing was that it didn't smell all that "tobacco-ie". I was told the longer the bails stood, the more the "natural aroma" would come thru, as the sulphur would go out of it, and they would pick up natural moisture. And true enough, by the time they were at the auction room for selling, they smelt totally different.

As stated a couple of times, proof is in the brewing. few of us are that great at hop smell analysis. They may well be crap too by the way. But as people formulate receipes, also consider a simple cooking trick. Id your herbs, spices are getting older, or dont have that PUDGENT aroma, you just add a little more. And yes they are cheap enough to do so.

And yes I will say again, the second chance order has been said to be started arround the end of January, so we get feedback on these hops, actually in the beers.

And on another front, as there are two growing regions in China, with different processors, from the feedback I will DEMAND hops from the area that gives the best results, ie fresh looking pellets. I have been re-assured the hops are 2009 season. On first impresssions, its looking like one region may be a little "robust"in their processing of the hops, so that region is to be avoided.

BUT bring on the beers

Craftbrewer

Had plenty of takers on splitting up my quantity so more can experiment, so will have to leave it at that unless you've already been in touch with me.

Gotta love it when Aussie Post actually works, my hops have just arrived. You could certainly smell them as the postie handed them over and had a bit of a funny look on his face.

Looking forward to making a few brews with them early next week :icon_cheers:

Edit: Forgot to thank all those involved, thanks to Graham for organising it and to Chappo, BribeG and all the others who helped with packing. Your efforts are all greatly appreciated!

CM2 I totally agree with you on that front. I find it jaw dropping that everyone is jumping on the band wagon before even any of these hops have touched wort. I would be hanging back and seeing what the feedback is first and then getting in there if there is a stand out.

Jaw dropping yes, BUT I was wanting to see what interest is out there. All the feedback and this list serves two purposes.

1. The first is the hop company really wants our business, and have stated they will improve the quality based on out feedback. I have been even offered samples from other regions. So the 2nd chances may even get better hops than we got.

2. But for them to do that they need to know we will buy more hops, hence putting up a second chance. I need to be able to tell them we are serious, and it looks like we are.

And this is only expressions so far, anyone can withdraw. Just like last time, the higher up on the list, the better your chances of securing your order.

So the varibles continue, e will get hops from a different region next time round if they are no good, or poor feedback, and we can get improvements in next years offer

Craftbrewer

FFS .
somebody make something with the hops

something......anything..... the suspense is nervewracking.
{my measly 90 g. should be here at 7 am tomorrow} :D

stagga.

As stated a couple of times, proof is in the brewing.Craftbrewer
yup certainly is. for example i dont particulaly like the smelt of spalt hops. i recon they are dank/musty. but they make some nice beer.

come on fellas get brewing so we can see the results. i can brew for a while so i'll have to wait to experiment with mine.

I see Pocket Beers has already brewed a 7% IPA and has given the Cascades the thumbs up in the kettle! Great news IMO!

Would it be worth considering flowers Graham? Im sure I read here that you had a suspicion that they werent to clued up on the drying pelletizing part of the process (or did I dream that?). That might explain the differences in moisture content of the pellets between the different types? Just a thought.
Cheers
Steve

Would it be worth considering flowers Graham? Im sure I read here that you had a suspicion that they werent to clued up on the drying pelletizing part of the process (or did I dream that?). That might explain the differences in moisture content of the pellets between the different types? Just a thought.
Cheers
Steve
flowers thru customs...... :unsure: it wont happen easily. T90/pellets are allowable but flowers are a differant ball game. it might be easier with an importers licence. not sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back