The Great Chinese Hop Buy 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yours may not be in the post yet as your "nugget" hops were still fresh and the green paint wasn't dry ;)

hahahaha, QLD humour I presume,

Others in Southern states should also presume a similar hilarity from the "divide".

cheers

darren

Those in the Southern States may be a little concerned how "3-4kg" into a parcel may have been decided on the day. (Edit: on the advice of the great CraftBrewer Ross who has intimate knowledge of posting and courier issues and the fine distinctions re weight that Aus Post apply)

Perhaps splitting the batch South/North destinations would be better?

After all, everyone know that Queenslanders can't brew a decent beer :eek:

cheers

Darren

The bag size to hop order ratio was decided and announced early on in the piece: (edit: thanks to Ross with his intimate knowledge of the arcane workings of Aus Post)

Kilos:

1 - 3kg bag
2 - 3kg bag
3 - 5kg bag
4 - 5kg bag
5 - 5kg plus a 3 kg bag

und so weiter, ja

As for the North South split where would you draw the border, Tweed River or Albury/Wodonga? :p
And no we didn't knob your hops

much B)

Thanks for the great effort by all and sundry in getting this organised.

Looking forward to seeing my hops when I get back from my work trip.

I love how someone from SA is making out like there's a north / south divide in this country.

We all know in Australia you have the east coast and 'those other places where wankers like darren are allowed to run free'*

*sorry if I've offended people that aren't darren

I think he means Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth. ;)

What else to expect from a Queenslander :lol:

EDIT: AndrewQld perhaps you feel compelled to edit his post too?

I think he means Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth. ;)

What else to expect from a Queenslander :lol:

EDIT: AndrewQld perhaps you feel compelled to edit his post too?

Ross packed your hops B) .

Sorry ha, biro lang

Joking :p

G'Day All

By the sounds of it, the pack went well.

Also its timely to state the bleeden obvious too.

1. Yes sorting and packing ALL these hops will result in occasional errors. It doesn't surprise me AT ALL that at the end of the pack there were errors "gee where did the Marco Polo go, why do we have cluster and saaz left over"

This is normal. To all brewers out there receiving hops, check what you got. I am confident from what has been described the hop labelling will be correct. , BUT your order may be different due to this error (some-one would have a wrong order)

and

2. I have NEVER done a big hop bulk buy yet where some-one doesn't get what they want, or gets upset over the process. With over a hundred people, nearly 1/2 ton of hops, orgnising this from afar with people all over Australia, YES some-one will feel hard done by.

Sorry about that but "SHIT HAPPENS"

Just understand.

Now to follow up on the feedback for next time.

Craftbrewer
Graham L Sanders

Just a suggestion for next time - how about ordering an extra 2 - 5% margin per hop for a fug up/waste factor. The price you guys paid for these hops I am sure an extra $0.20 per kg wont be frowned upon.

Reasons being -

1) yes stuff ups happen
2) there was minimal spillage but there was spillage (not a cause of alcohol consumption)
3) towards the bottom of the bag it was getting powdery which SHOULDN'T be a concern BUT it will alleviate some participants getting a full bag of powder.
4) everyones scales are calibrated differently
5) IF there any leftovers sell on AHB and donate the proceeds to AHB. (for those that don't want a full kg of hops)
6) I was a bit dubious about packing them in freezer bags knowing how extremely well Aus Post handles mail (read as sarcasm). I wouldn't be surprised that some brewers will receive busted bags, but lets hope not. Suggest looking at some stronger bags.

Just a thought and please don't take this as criticism. Well done to the lads yesterday. I didn't participate in the buy this round but will be keen if and when it happens again.

:icon_cheers:

I didn't participate in the buy this round but will be keen if and when it happens again.

:icon_cheers:

I may (GET THIS MAY) do another round for those who missed out in January, after we get feedback on the beers made.

This will depend of course on interest. Its up to you to generate that interest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craftbrewer

So, at the end of the day, how much did a kilo of these hops end up costing? Were they all the same price? Did they seem true to form, as in cascade looked and smelled like cascade etc?

I may be interested in future purchases.

Thanks to GLS and all the others who helped in this bulk buy, you guys have done a sterling job to organise and pack those hops and I hope everyone apreciates your combined efforts, Iknow Ido. :super: am awaiting my post satchel with bated breath :icon_cheers: . PS I hope all you people "north of the Divide" don't think we are all like Darren, because last time in Q,land I could not see any dividing line.

Graham ,, great job ...

All the packers / helpers , well done, what a job to get done in the few hours it took .. great effort ....

Interest in a second order ... yes I am ,,, maybe start a new thred Graham .. Round 2 Hop Buy ..

I like the idea of regional splits... could be a bitch to organise or could work well ...

Cheers

after a bit more reading back , its raining this morn, Ha ..

We kill on farm so package around 400kg of beef about 3 or 4 times a year..
used to use frezzer bags from the supermarket and they are shit , Tbones poke holes in them ect ect ...
Now use bags from a butchering supply mob , much heaver plastic and only a few cents each . somthing to look into for the next round...

Also those tape things that put tape around the bag .. once you get the hang of it its bloody fantastic..

cheers

I would suggest in future taking advantage of free samples offered to check the quality before ordering. Would be a very brave micro to order up big before testing.

Personally I won't be using the current crop of Saaz or Cascade in any of my own brews. Verdict on the Marco Polo is open until I taste the test batch of Summer Ale, the aroma is intense & fascinating, but the the onion/garlic has me a little worried.

Cheers Ross

because last time in Q,land I could not see any dividing line.

:icon_offtopic:
Except! (with Queensland having the greatest Rugby League team in the world) Brisbane's legendary Suncorp Stadiums 50 metre line :lol: .

Thanks to everyone involved in the hop deal, great work :icon_cheers: . I wonder what the reception at the Post Office will be like?

I would suggest in future taking advantage of free samples offered to check the quality before ordering. Would be a very brave micro to order up big before testing.

Personally I won't be using the current crop of Saaz or Cascade in any of my own brews. Verdict on the Marco Polo is open until I taste the test batch of Summer Ale, the aroma is intense & fascinating, but the the onion/garlic has me a little worried.

Cheers Ross

Hhhhmmmm..........{strokes chin reflectively and gazes thoughtfully into distant horizon}

stagga.

ahhhh but "Fortune Favours The Brave".

Look at the advantage already those who bought on faith. They have hops to play with, at a realistic price.

Exactly the point mate. Thats why the new buy is not til end of January. That way we can evaluate the hops in actual beers, we will have excellent feedback all arround the country from both professional and home Craftbrewers. We will know the REAL QUALITY in an actual beer or two, (or 2002)

Everyone will be able to make an informed decision.

So its going to be interesting the feedback from all who have bought these hops

Shout
Craftbrewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back