T.a.s.t.e. 2011 Close-enough-to-get-to-adelaide Autumn Case Swap Threa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9. Goofinder - Brown Porter

Echoing other positive comments on this brew. Lovely coffee and roastiness, minimal wafy head and low carbonation. The brown malt presents nicely in the simple grain bill too imo.

---

I think this is the last of my case swap beers too! :(

Been some cracking beers again this swap.

Time for me to get some beers fermenting and some kegs filled...

Nev - South Pacific IPA
lovely colour, really nice hop aroma, good firm bitterness but well balanced. I did get a slight astringency from the hops but not detrimental, really nice beer...top beer actually

MOM - Stout
I got quite a fruity aroma, fantastic smooth mouthfeel, roast flavour, some sweet malt and fruity esters. really nice sweet stout. the fruitiness may have been a touch high but still really tasty

Amin APA
malty and nice hop flavour, really noticeable caramel malt flavour. carbonation was a tad high. really nice firm bitterness that lingers with the caramel and hop flavour. For me the caramel was too high, the beer would work a lot better with a more malty spec malt with less caramel IMHO.

Awesome Fury
lovely aroma and colour, noticeable bitterness up front with good hop flavour, the body seemed a bit thin but its really easy to drink. perfect balance of the caramel malt. perfect.

Kieren IPA
sweet caramel malt aroma, lovely hop - v. fruity hop. the bitterness is very noticeable up front and astringent. when cold its out of balance, as it warms it definitely balances out. great hop flavour and some great malt flavours but the bitterness really lingers and is a touch harsh. I really liked this beer but I found the hop a little harsh.

Only a couple left for me to try now...

FILE0674_200x267.jpg

Hatchy's New World Pale Ale

Opened it over the sink just in case, but it didn't climb out of the bottle, thankfully. It poured with a lot of head though, but that wasn't much of a issue*. Smells quite sweet, that aroma you get from base malt that's not overly malty, but somewhat sweet. Flavour is nice and quite balanced, which is welcome because it's always tempting to make a beer like this overwhelmingly bitter. The foam itself was quite bitter, though. The sweetness I got in the aroma is present in the beer, balanced with some fruity hop notes, bitterness backing it all up. Very enjoyable, this is a beer I could have a lot of pints of in a session.

* Subsequently the beer started climbing out of the bottle on resting as I was tasting the amount in the glass... oh well. No biggie.

FILE0675_200x267.jpg

Boston's 10 min IPA

I assume it's Boston's, it had a 'B' on the cap. Lots of fruit on the nose, quite complex. Mouthfeel is quite thick, something I didn't expect with this particular beer. This for me is a plus, it sits well with the hop flavours in a well balanced beer. Quite enjoyable.

Gunna's Brown Ale

Nice and clear, low carb and small head. A little malt in the aroma with a little ester. I get some choc malt in the flavour as well. Nice beer, cheers gunna.

I'm back after my jaunt to brissy. so back into the swap beers. I randomly grabbed a bottle with 23 on the lid.

poured very pale cloudy yellow. overwhelming band-aid taste and aroma with a sharp bitterness. This is a dud bottle. I could only manage a couple of sips and had to pour it sorry. I'm confused though as Amin was 23 and i've already tried his beer (which was a completely different colour and very tasty). Oh well a case swap mystery i guess.

25. Boston - 10min IPA

Clear amber colour loads of lacing in my glass. Has a big sweet malty fruity aroma. Clean hoppy flavour with some sweet malt at the end. Lovely firm lingering bitterness.

Awesome beer cheers mate!

4. Hatchy - New world pale ale

Heaps of carb, like pouring a softdrink, but didn't gush. clear pale golden colour. yeasty estery? (juicy fruit) aroma. Nice clean malt and hop flavour with a moderate bitterness. This is a very easy drinking beer that I could easily have a session on.

........But could do with some more hops :D

Thanks mate!!

Gunna's CPA

My first homebrew! Looks like a CPA, not quite the fruity, estery aroma of a CPA, tastes like a CPA though perhaps a little subdued on the yeast character (not a bad thing). Really easy drinker, well enjoyed. Cheers.

Had Awesome Fury's last night didn't take notes though. From memory - more caramel malt than hops for me with a pronounced (english?) yeast ester character. Nice and clear, small lasting head. Another good swap beer.

Not many to go...

13. Kieren - IPA

Copper slightly hazy colour. Heaps of hops in the aroma with some alcohol as it warms. The taste is full on hoppy with a nice bitterness that is sticking to my tongue and builds. an almost peppery taste that lingers.

Another top beer enjoyed very much. Cheers Kieren.

19. JestersDarts - Autumn Amber Ale

Deep reddish copper colour with a small off white head. Sweet malty aroma. Balanced malty flavour... very moreish. This went down too easily.

Yet another top beer. Cheers!

15. AussieJosh -Dark Ale with Cascade and EKG

Dark clear reddish copper. Fruity yeasty aroma. Spicy chocolaty roast flavour. Has a bit of mountain goat high tail ale vibe about it. This is a very nice beer. Cheers!!

AF ???

Not too sure where this one has come from. Had AF on a Coopers homebrew lid. My guess is it may be Awesome Fury's stammtisch beer? Bottle was a little under filled but didn't seem to have any bad effects. Gold colour, good clarity. Low carb rate, small loose head. Fruity hops and yeast aroma. More 'new world hops' through the flavour finishes with a yeast character, quite dry, firm bitterness. Thin body (due to the low carb?). A good session drinking beer. Much enjoyed. Good hoppiness throughout.

Raven's Robust Porter
I got a very light head but strangely the head improved as the beer warmed and it became tighter and lasted well. Nice roasty aroma with background malt but very subdued at cooler temps, once it warmde up it was more noticeable and complex. I got a bit of dark dark choc and coffee with light fruitiness. When cold the mouthfeel was thin and 'prickly' but as it warmed and the carb died off it improved significantly to be more med body and smooth with a nice lingering bitterness. the flavour was lovely roast with some background light malt and it improved significantly as it warmed.

i would recommend you left this one to breathe like a fine old wine and warm up to be served at around 10-12 deg and its superb

I'm back after my jaunt to brissy. so back into the swap beers. I randomly grabbed a bottle with 23 on the lid.

poured very pale cloudy yellow. overwhelming band-aid taste and aroma with a sharp bitterness. This is a dud bottle. I could only manage a couple of sips and had to pour it sorry. I'm confused though as Amin was 23 and i've already tried his beer (which was a completely different colour and very tasty). Oh well a case swap mystery i guess.
That would be my back up beer-didn't really want to swap it for obvious reasons but thought I might be a couple longnecks short, I ended up with just enough.
I'm guessing you got an extra long neck of it? 23 should be underlined if it's one of the duds.

Jayse tried it on the night and diagnosed it with a wild yeast infection

The other 40 or so longnecks of that beer was disposed of in an eco friendly way (given to impoverished student mates)

That would be my back up beer-didn't really want to swap it for obvious reasons but thought I might be a couple longnecks short, I ended up with just enough.
I'm guessing you got an extra long neck of it? 23 should be underlined if it's one of the duds.

Jayse tried it on the night and diagnosed it with a wild yeast infection

The other 40 or so longnecks of that beer was disposed of in an eco friendly way (given to impoverished student mates)
Underlined 23... that's the one. It was interesting to try anyways to get an idea what an infection can taste like. I feel sorry for your mates.

Latest posts

Back