T.a.s.t.e. 2011 Close-enough-to-get-to-adelaide Autumn Case Swap Threa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goofinder - Brown Porter

Poured nice and clear, brown with dark red hues, small head, low carb - perfect. I get caramel malt and esters in the aroma - complex. Still getting used to the esters pushed out by 1187, slowly growing on me. Body is nice and light making me want another sip straight away but still finishes with a nice malt/bitterness balance that lingers nicely. Favourite beer of the swap so far. Cheers.

Goofinder - Brown Porter

Poured nice and clear, brown with dark red hues, small head, low carb - perfect. I get caramel malt and esters in the aroma - complex. Still getting used to the esters pushed out by 1187, slowly growing on me. Body is nice and light making me want another sip straight away but still finishes with a nice malt/bitterness balance that lingers nicely. Favourite beer of the swap so far. Cheers.

I've only had 1 of the swap beers so far.

Love a good brown porter. Had a half day at work so took Claire to a pub for lunch and then came home and got the first fire going for the year. The caseswap beers were still sitting on the back verandah where Boston had left them so i grabbed a beer that would go down well at the 10-12C or so it was mid afternoon!

As usual Dan you have not let me down. Cracker of a beer. All of what Kieren said plus that nice earthy fuggles flavour. I love brown malt and i think the wood like flavours it gives goes so well with fuggles. I normally use Dans favourite malt in my brown porters (amber) but will use brown in the next one which will be very soon. Ringwood is still one of my favourite yeasts and once i wittle down the vials/smackpacks in the fridge i will have to go back to my first love (pre-1469).

I've put a few swap beers in the fridge for the weekend. Last day for vintage work for me is tomorrow so a few swap beers on the weekend will be much appreciated.

Phillip's 10min IPA

DSCN4319.JPG

Everytime I have a version of Phils 10min IPA, I continue to say, yes I must brew this.

No real change for this one, initial reaction was high in bitterness, but upon realising this was in IPA, I had no issues with it. Great colour, no gushing on mine, stayed in the bottle upon cracking the bottle and letting it sit for a few minutes. Slight slickness at the end of the pallette, but no off flavours - a really nice brew.

ps- how do you like our new bathroom progress in the background? :)

Rooting King's Brown Ale

This bottle had RK on the lid, I presume its the case swap brown of RK's.

Cracking beer this one, I enjoyed this following finishing the wall tiling on the bathroom at home.

I think this is the best beer I have had thus far in the swap.

Well rounded maltiness, lovely hop balance, massive lacing down the glass. This is gooooooood.

Drunk it so quick I forgot to take detailed notes!

Add this to your regular on tap list RK.

Phillip's 10min IPA

View attachment 45258

Everytime I have a version of Phils 10min IPA, I continue to say, yes I must brew this.

No real change for this one, initial reaction was high in bitterness, but upon realising this was in IPA, I had no issues with it. Great colour, no gushing on mine, stayed in the bottle upon cracking the bottle and letting it sit for a few minutes. Slight slickness at the end of the pallette, but no off flavours - a really nice brew.

Have you got a spirit level mate? Those tiles look crooked.

Gunna's Aussie Pale Ale

Very bloody nice. Similar to the Aussie Ale I make, but mine throws more banana...

What was the ferment temp on this mate...?

Glad you enjoyed it - so did I :icon_cheers:
Ferment temp was 19

Cheers

Have you got a spirit level mate? Those tiles look crooked.

:lol: Must be the camera lense. Yup we used a level and a plethora of other tools.

Enjoying a second bottle of Aussie Josh's Dark ale atm. :beer:

Picked up my "case" weekend before last from AJ. Many thanks to Josh for hosting the swap and for looking after my case.
So far sampled polished off 2 from the swap
11. really enjoyed the stout - would be happy to brew this one but with a bit more gas....
R.K Another enjoyable beer - I also got a lovely head and "massive lacing down the glass" - couldn't quite pick the hops though. Was it a mixture of Amarillo and ?

Cheers

FILE0670_200x267.jpg

Phil's 10 Minute IPA

I didn't have any issues with overflowing, though it was a little heady on initial pouring. I'm not complaining too much though, as it gives me more time to appreciate the aroma!Smells and tastes like hop juice, there's not a huge amount that hasn't been said about this beer already. Hoppy to the end.

Phillip's 10min IPA

View attachment 45258

Plumbing looks dodgy, I would report him. :icon_cheers:

Mayor of Mildura's Stout

Great stout - a tiny bit low on the carb for me but I still like it. Nice roast character, finish is nice and dry. It's stouts like these that make me wonder why I don't brew more of them. Nice brew MoM.

MaltyHops I would just like to say a big thank you for doing that! I have been reading it from the start and find it very helpful. Thanks again! :)

Rooting King's Brown Ale

This bottle had RK on the lid, I presume its the case swap brown of RK's.

Cracking beer this one, I enjoyed this following finishing the wall tiling on the bathroom at home.

I think this is the best beer I have had thus far in the swap.

Well rounded maltiness, lovely hop balance, massive lacing down the glass. This is gooooooood.

Drunk it so quick I forgot to take detailed notes!

Add this to your regular on tap list RK.

cheers mate...was it your first beer of the swap? ;)

Picked up my "case" weekend before last from AJ. Many thanks to Josh for hosting the swap and for looking after my case.
So far sampled polished off 2 from the swap
11. really enjoyed the stout - would be happy to brew this one but with a bit more gas....
R.K Another enjoyable beer - I also got a lovely head and "massive lacing down the glass" - couldn't quite pick the hops though. Was it a mixture of Amarillo and ?

Cheers

Glad you enjoyed. hops are homegrown Victoria (wet hopped) POR and Flinders...some of the fruitiness that comes though are esters from the yeast.

I have a few more brews in the fridge and new chest freezer (huge thing that is currently holding 6 kegs 3 fermenters and a cube...otherwise its 9 kegs a cube and small fermenter)...

cheers mate...was it your first beer of the swap? ;)
... new chest freezer (huge thing that is currently holding 6 kegs 3 fermenters and a cube...otherwise its 9 kegs a cube and small fermenter)...

What's the vol on the chest freezer and where can I can get one? :)

What's the vol on the chest freezer and where can I can get one? :)

its a 468l but not as deep as most so its wider. Ebay...welkart was the seller.

TonyC's ESB

nice colour but a touch cloudy, def over carbed. nice earthy hop aroma and a few esters working well together. definitely one to let sit and decarb a bit and warm up as it balanced better over time. nice malt flavour and some good esters. I got a slightly dusty flavour in with the earthy hop. nice beer, I think the recipe is solid so a couple of tweaks to the mash (head didn't hold well and a bit more body needed but not sweetness) and the ferment (slightly cooler) will make it simply brilliant. One to make again for sure.

Simma's American Amber

Really nice beer this one. Good malt with a slight push to the bitterness.
Head dissipates quickly but not to the detriment of the beer at all.
I get a slight hit of caramel on the nose initially!
Cant fault this brew at all. Post up the recipe Simma (if you are happy to share)! :icon_cheers:

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it! :icon_cheers:

I've put the recipe into the DB for those who are interested (here).

Sitting down to a beer and it's my first golden ale at a case swap.

Gunna's DSGA (his acronym, not me being a smart-arse)

As you might guess i have tasted a few of these over the years (and as luck would have it another golden ale arrived in the post today for me to provide feedback!) and have tasted some nice but a bit meh versions, some that were gorgeous and everything in-between.

This one is very nice. The key IMO to the golden ale is the balance. It's not an APA with the hops outdoing the malt nor is it malt driven. The intention behind it is to create a balance between the malt and the hops.

I think you have achieved this and i would happily drink a lot of this beer.

My only criticism is that i only got a stubbie and not a longneck...... :p

Catching up on posting some of my tasting notes as scribbled on the back on an old envelope...

#16 Nevalicious - South Pacific IPA

Poured an opaque dark brown with a white head that quickly dissipated (not ruling out my glassware here). Good carbonation level. Aroma was of hops first followed by a hint of malt, very inviting! Taste was full on fruity hops followed by a smooth bitterness that lingered nicely.

Loved it, thanks!

And...

#10 DrSmurto - Bo Pils

I had some good and bad luck with this beer, good luck was I ended up with 2 bottles of it but the bad luck was that one tipped over on some tiles and shattered :angry: . Luckily the second one made it safely to my fridge and then to my table for tasting and sharing with my partner, Kate.

First thing was the challenge of pouring this beer, my bottle was extremely highly carbed and poured like a champagne except with an extremely persistent head "hand me a spoon!". This high carb may explain why my other bottle broke so easily. On the plus side there was no problem achieving the required "2 fingers of head".

Colour was a clear pale gold, head was white and laced the glass. Yeasty aroma which Kate described as "Belgian", I did not detect any diacetyl. Taste was clean, crisp and complex with a dominant bitterness that I enjoyed.

K - "It definitely tastes Bohemian."
S - "What does that mean?"
K - "You know, funky and artistic."
S - " :huh: "

This isn't a style I'm overly familiar with and I enjoyed tasting it, thanks for sharing!

Back