Sydney Xmas New Year Small Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOW MANY BOTTLES/PEOPLE ??

• 12 bottles , 13 people (1 of each others brews)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12 bottles , 7 people(2 of each others brews)

• 6 bottles

• something else entirely

• Total voters
Had Barra's Pilsener and Phil's Oak Ale over the last two nights.
Barra's Pilsener - Really nice, great head, Mild hop flavour. I enjoyed this immensly. Down to the last third of the bottle, there was a fair bit of sediment. I looked at it wearily... hesitated, and poured it through a tea strainer. Didn't do much else other than break it all up. What the hell I thought, and drank it all. Top stuff.

pete go to big w and grab yourself a 1 litre glass water pitcher they go for about $4 ,store it in the fridge and when your ready to drink pour the whole bottle in it in one swipe saves stirring up the sediment in brew bottles by pour glass at a time, i do this for all my swap beers and most others now to ensure a consisitency in taste the whole way through the bottle.

banned from brewing !!!!! ahhh we need to get shaz to therapy to fix her problem

havent really started on this swaps beers yet apart from the extras that came as a result of the no shows
cant recall what they were but they were all up to scratch thats for sure ... will report back on the 7 i have left soon

Had a bottle labelled "Bass" tonight. I'm guessing it was Stephen's Bass Pale.

Beautiful amber colour. A little cloudy but not too bad. Very tasty indeed. Fair bit of fruity ale flavours as well as the crystal sweetness and hop flavours. Went really well with the pork loin chops for dinner.

Pete's Blue Mountains Lager
Beautiful crisp lager. A fair hint of hop flavour. Not completely balanced by the malt, but not necessary on a stinking hot day out by the pool. I didn't drink it out by the pool, rather watching The Gucc get dismantled by Melzer. But this would be a top beer to drink on a hot day after mowing the lawn. Well done Pete. What's the recipe? I could knock one of these up.

Gulpa's Brown Ale
Very refreshing. Tastes like an American Pale Ale. Just with a tiny amount of chocolate flavour. An excellent beer. I don't know if I have one more or not, but I hope I do.

Pete's Blue Mountains Lager
Beautiful crisp lager. A fair hint of hop flavour. Not completely balanced by the malt, but not necessary on a stinking hot day out by the pool. I didn't drink it out by the pool, rather watching The Gucc get dismantled by Melzer. But this would be a top beer to drink on a hot day after mowing the lawn. Well done Pete. What's the recipe? I could knock one of these up.

Cheers Josh,
It wasa pretty simple one,
1 can Morgans Blue Mountain Lager
1 can Morgans Extra Pale Malt (unhopped)

12g cascade pellets, dry hopped after 2 days - I reckon this ruined what could've been a better beer. I threw out the remainder of the hop packet after this. No more cascade from now on.

pete go to big w and grab yourself a 1 litre glass water pitcher they go for about $4 ,store it in the fridge and when your ready to drink pour the whole bottle in it in one swipe saves stirring up the sediment in brew bottles by pour glass at a time, i do this for all my swap beers and most others now to ensure a consisitency in taste the whole way through the bottle.

banned from brewing !!!!! ahhh we need to get shaz to therapy to fix her problem

havent really started on this swaps beers yet apart from the extras that came as a result of the no shows
cant recall what they were but they were all up to scratch thats for sure ... will report back on the 7 i have left soon

Thanks for the tip, Barra. Will get one this weekend.
Just banned at nights mind you... Weekends & RDO's are still good... just have to warn her beforehand ;)

I finally had Oblomov's Belgian last night. Damn!!!! THIS WAS FANTASTIC!
Haven't had too many homebrewed Belgians but this has to be one of the best homebrews I have ever tasted. Delicious and sweet, and I felt nicely hammered after it.
Well done Oblomov! 10/10.

Thanks pete!

Had "J Wit" two days ago, I assume it was Josh's? A true wit, I liked it. Also: color/haziness was spot on, aroma good, head retention good. I especially liked the sourness, what's the trick?

Had "J Wit" two days ago, I assume it was Josh's? A true wit, I liked it. Also: color/haziness was spot on, aroma good, head retention good. I especially liked the sourness, what's the trick?
Thanks Oblomov. I don't know if this is the trick as it's the first one I got to come out with the sourness in it. But I think it was the lack of coriander. And fermenting fairly low temps ~18C. Let the character of the unmalted wheat, in my case torrified, and the yeast shine through more as they weren't drowned out by coriander.

I think I'll go for slightly more (about 12-15g from memory) coriander seed next time though. All in all I am pretty close to how I want it now. That was either the third or fourth time I've brewed a wit. Used the White Labs Belgian Wit Ale yeast if that hasn't been mentioned previously.

Found one last bottle I haven't tried on saturday morning, Gulpa's Brown Ale.
Had it last night. Pretty nice, quite bitter, but IMO I reckon your Chocolate Porter from last july's swap was nicer. It was still a great beer to cool down with.

Only 2 more doubles to go. Great beers guys and looking forward to swapping again in future.
(only if I have a beer worthy of swapping, of course!)

Petesbrew :beer:

Thanks for the feedback Pete.

You could be right. That porter was certainly one of the best brews that I have done. I like the brown too and it turn out to be exactly what I wanted at the time. Dark beer for summer drinking.

Cheers,
Andrew.

PS. I haven't forgot your yeast. I was going to try starting up a starter myself as I have a brew I want to put down. The weekend heatwave put me off.

ive still got all seven of my swap brews left ... almost worked my way through the major swap cases and this will one be next... looking forward to some well settled and extra aged brews real soon

Thanks for the feedback Pete.

You could be right. That porter was certainly one of the best brews that I have done. I like the brown too and it turn out to be exactly what I wanted at the time. Dark beer for summer drinking.

Cheers,
Andrew.

PS. I haven't forgot your yeast. I was going to try starting up a starter myself as I have a brew I want to put down. The weekend heatwave put me off.

Cheers Andrew, that "starter" is still sitting in the coke bottle in the garage, 3 weeks old. I think it's about ready to smell, turf down the sink and start anew.

Yes, no amount of ice bricks and coolerbags could drop my primary below 26 on sunday. What a shocker!

gents just recieved a PM from hupnupnee regarding his absence from the small swap..

as follows ...

Gidday Ned,

Just like to apologise for not doing my bit for the small case swap before Xmas. A number of unforseen personal hassles as well as a f_*ked car. Stopped me getting down to the swap. I hope I have not stuffed you guys up to much.

Cheers

Tim

P.S. Could you please forward this to the other swap members.

Cracked open the second Bass last weekend while on the bbq. Stupid me shared it with a mate, but he was well impressed with this one, so at least it wasn't wasted on dulled tastebuds.
Well done again, steve!

I think my final remaining bottle is Phil's Oak Ale. Looking forward to enjoying it this weekend.

Oh, and if anyone's keen to do another small swap, I'll be trying an oatmeal stout in the next few weeks.
Pete

ok ,, ive started to hit the bottles from this swap , had phils oak ale last night and was quite impressed with it , quite tasty indeed , am currently hookin into Gulpas brown ale which i am enjoying a lot
must be something about dark beers and winter approaching , was this a grain/partial/kit beer gulpa , somewhere along the line a bottle of blue mountain lager has been dealt with too , cant remember when but i know id remember it if it wasnt any good ,

looks like another fine batch of beers , well done guys , must be almost time for another small swap too ...
id say by the post above it looks like petes up for one ....

Cheers !

im in as well so long as im not working

im in as well so long as im not working

Hi Guys,

Im in for another. Ive got to get my brewing act together. My last 3 batches have been absolute shockers for a variety of reasons. I should get it sorted before a swap batch.

Ned, the brown ale was kit (coopers dark ale) and bits. Im going to put another of these down very soon.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Hi Guys,

Im in for another. Ive got to get my brewing act together. My last 3 batches have been absolute shockers for a variety of reasons. I should get it sorted before a swap batch.

Ned, the brown ale was kit (coopers dark ale) and bits. Im going to put another of these down very soon.

Cheers,
Andrew.

dont blame ya mate id be knockin up another too was a very nice beer ,

at this very minute im sampling Oblomovs beer cant remember what it was now it was that long ago but again a nice well balanced beer with all the flavors where they need to be , i think this was some kind of wit ??? top effort

ok well it looks like theres enough positive response to start a small swap again ... unless someone else beats me to it ill start up a new thread tomorrow ,....

Latest posts

Back