Sydney Xmas New Year Small Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOW MANY BOTTLES/PEOPLE ??

• 12 bottles , 13 people (1 of each others brews)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12 bottles , 7 people(2 of each others brews)

• 6 bottles

• something else entirely

• Total voters
Hi guy's thanks for Sunday, had a great time and from conversation picked up heaps. I'm looking forward to sampling the stock over the weekend.

Question, put a Morgans Royal Oak down on Sat night and since it has been bubbling out of the air lock. When I say bubbling let me add that it was flowing out at one stage. Has anyone had such happen before? Barra, this was the brew that the instructions said stir the yeast in?? I'll let you know how it turns out after being kegged and drunk in a few days.

Phil :beer:

dont think it was the stirring that made it do it phil...havent actually had one do this yet but i have had a couple close all part of the fun

Phil, what was the temp of the fermentor ? perhaps too warm ?

I drank Oblomov's Belgian Ale & Stephen's Bass Pale Ale last night. The Bass surprised me with its depth & taste. Guess I should try a real one or get Stephen's recipe :)

The Belgian was also very good. wish i had a 2nd bottle. Had a nice fruity aftertaste. Do you know what %alc it was Oblomov, as i was pretty happy for the rest of the night :)

Another 2 tmw night, maybe.

Happy xmas & merry NY to all.

regards

It's 7.6% ABV, I have many happy evenings myself :)

I actually undershot the OG because my efficiency was low, I ended up adding 500g of DME to get it up to my target of 1.076.

Thanks Barramundi for organising and Josh for hosting.

It was hard to choose where to start.

Since I have two of these, I opened an "84 Bass". Good stuff. Nice head & good colour. Taste is pretty close to the original. Excellent drop. It did have a bit of a bitter aftertaste, I'd expect that to mellow our with some age, so I'll wait with the other bottle for a few weeks.

What's the ingredients, yeast etc?
Oblomov

This was my contribution to the case. The number refers only to the batch No, ie. 84th brew since moving to Medowie.

The recipe is straight from 'Brew Classic English Beers at Home'.

4.38 kg JW pale malt
250 gm English Crystal
130 gm Carapils

32 gm EKG @ 5.2 70 min
28 gm EKG @ 5.2 20 min
28 gm EKG @ 5.2 5 min

S-04

Single step infusion at 66 deg C.

2 weeks primary
4 weeks secondary

Bulk primed with 50 gm dextrose and bottled on 26 sep o6.

Cheers

Stephen

Oblomov

This was my contribution to the case. The number refers only to the batch No, ie. 84th brew since moving to Medowie.

The recipe is straight from 'Brew Classic English Beers at Home'.

4.38 kg JW pale malt
250 gm English Crystal
130 gm Carapils

32 gm EKG @ 5.2 70 min
28 gm EKG @ 5.2 20 min
28 gm EKG @ 5.2 5 min

S-04

Single step infusion at 66 deg C.

2 weeks primary
4 weeks secondary

Bulk primed with 50 gm dextrose and bottled on 26 sep o6.

Cheers

Stephen

Had this last night, Steve. Bloody beautiful, nice bitterness, and the second one will be enjoyed in future!
Top work indeed.
Judging by the 2 I've had so far, I have some improving to do next year with my brews. I hope it's at least refreshing on a hot day.

relax pete , your beers arent too bad mate ... by the sounds of things steves been knocking out brews for a while so your judging yourself against experience...

im just hookin in to my first beer from this swap which is Stephens Bass replica , ive never actually had a Bass beer before so i really dont know what to say in comparison to it but i do find it similar to a partial that i made for the NSW swap which was a replica of Coopers Vintage Ale 2006..

Great tasting beer with a full range of flavors , will have a crack at making this when i take the plunge into all grains some time in the new year hopefully , whats the Alco % on this beer Stephen ?

I had Josh's Wit last night. Very nice indeed. I'm still no judge on Wits, but it went down damn well with the prawns on the bbq.

I think Phil's Oak ale will be up next.

Hi Guys,

Ive had a couple over the last few days:

Redbeard's Hoe Clone - That's the palest homebrew I have ever seen. Malty and fruity at the same time. Good stuff.

Steve's Bass - Agree with the others. Nice.

Pete's Lager - Very clear. Not too bitter with a bit of fruityness. Was great after mowing the lawn. Nothing to be worried about there pete.

Cheers,
Andrew.

I had all of the wits from the two swaps on Boxing Day along with a bottle of Hoegaarden for comparison. From this case, Redbeard's Hoe clone was very nice. Very pale in colour and had a good flavour. Tasted more coriander than mine. Having tasted a few I think I underdid it with the coriander. But the colour was good. Pete's Ho in a garden which I got as an extra tasted really good, but I imagine it was all extract? Was very dark for a Hoe clone. Did you use Morgan's wheat extract? I have used that in the past and also wound up with a dark beer.

just enjoying oblomov's Belgian Golden Strong Ale right now very tasty beer
good head retention and color a touch cloudy but nothin to worry about , good all round effort daniel...

I had all of the wits from the two swaps on Boxing Day along with a bottle of Hoegaarden for comparison. From this case, Redbeard's Hoe clone was very nice. Very pale in colour and had a good flavour. Tasted more coriander than mine. Having tasted a few I think I underdid it with the coriander. But the colour was good. Pete's Ho in a garden which I got as an extra tasted really good, but I imagine it was all extract? Was very dark for a Hoe clone. Did you use Morgan's wheat extract? I have used that in the past and also wound up with a dark beer.

Hi Josh,
The Ho was the Country Brewer Summer Wheat Wetpak. Turned out dark, and nothing like I expected, but still a fine drop!

The Other night I had Gulpa's Scottish Ale, an extra which I tried to make a starter out of. Bloody nice beer indeed, but the starter isn't going very well. I've got it in a 2l coke bottle with about 100g malt, and nothing seems to be happening. Is it supposed to ferment like a mini brew?

do you have an airlock on top of the bottle pete , i found that to be a good way of tellin if anything is happenin, not sure how much fermentables you need to add to that vbolume but give it a chance it should work, i take it you havent put it in the fridge ??? if you have it wont do much in there

Hi Josh,
The Ho was the Country Brewer Summer Wheat Wetpak. Turned out dark, and nothing like I expected, but still a fine drop!

That's strange cos I did one of those about a year ago and it was really pale in colour. I wonder if they have changed any ingredients? Anyone else done this pack?

it could have sat on the store shelf for a while, which would darken it ...

It also depends on how big a boil you are doing. What volume did you use boys? :unsure:

TCB's kits had to change malt suppliers AFAIK - so the new ones are darker....

TCB's kits had to change malt suppliers AFAIK - so the new ones are darker....

Question answered. Thanks DJR. It's still a lovely beer.
I have to take my swap beers out of the fridge for a NYE party tonight, so no one else drinks them!

I think I've stuffed the yeast starter.... read something about putting in yeast nutrient, so in went an old lager yeast pack from a while back. It's definitely fermenting now, but obviously the other yeast. Still, if it tastes okay, I may still give it a go in a basic cheapo brew, and see how things turn out.

Practice makes perfect (and doing the right thing from the start).

Had Barra's Pilsener and Phil's Oak Ale over the last two nights.
Barra's Pilsener - Really nice, great head, Mild hop flavour. I enjoyed this immensly. Down to the last third of the bottle, there was a fair bit of sediment. I looked at it wearily... hesitated, and poured it through a tea strainer. Didn't do much else other than break it all up. What the hell I thought, and drank it all. Top stuff.

Phil's Oak Ale - This was another great one. The faint oak flavour gives it a warm feeling. The first glass went too quickly, so i had to restrain myself on the second one. Glad I've got a second tallie of this!
It was a good beer to enjoy while I mixed up a strange dark bitter.
By the way, Shaz has banned me from brewing at night now. "The place smells like a bloody brewery!!!". The only answer to that was "And that's a bad thing?!"
Pete

Hi Guys,

I also had Barra's Pils last night. Light colour. Nice very fine fluffy head. Nice malty lager flavours. Not too bitter. Id be pretty damn happy if I had brewed this one. Great work Ned. I wouldnt mind knowing how you did this one.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Latest posts

Back