Super Aroma - Hop Shots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you should have them by tmoz

iJosh said:
This is my understanding too. Quite happy to be the guinea pig with this one but having a new addition to the family just a week ago means I have no idea when I'll get to carry out this exbeeriment.
its why everything tastes bland when you have a cold ;)

I tried some more hop shots last night in a Coopers Pale Ale, tried all with 8 drops with dispenser in 250mL.

Spicy didn't really do anything, was sort of a spicy tang there, but will try more heavily next time.

Simcoe was a bit odd, not sure if the extra days in Aus Posts depots at the hot temps has damaged them (New Years eve depots closure!!), but it definitely didn't have a fresh vibrancy which I expected. It could be my palate, I have an APA dry hopped with some Simcoe (and Galaxy) I might do a comparison to see if it is me or not.

Citra was a bit better but not what I'd associate with nice fresh hoppy Citra. Again based on some limited experience.

The two former definitely jazzed the cooper pale ale up definitely, but perhaps I need to go heavier, which I'm cool with experimenting some more have got plenty there to do so :)

One thing I did notice with the Citra and Simcoe was it appeared to wipe out the head in the glass, anyone else finding that? I'll try again either tonight or tomorrow in some fresh glasses to confirm it is the hop shots but thought I'd ask if anyone has seen similar?

I tried simcoe, citra and mosaic in a Thooeys Darling Pale ale (left by father in law over christmas) this beer is an insult to pale ale and possibly the blandest of the so-called big brewery 'gateway beers'
5 drops of each totalling 15 drops is what it took to bring it into APA territory - the hop shot tropical aroma was demanding a sweeter taste and more bittering though and Darling is dry with limited bittering so it didn't really cut in well - adding a drop of honey worked quite well but then it required bittering of which I didn't have anything short of boiling some hops.

I reckon I probably overdid it and took it way out of balance - maybe 4 drops for this beer to fit in with it's shitty profile.

The head retention on the thooeys is quite good even with the hop shots in there - added to glass then poured - but i was using a squeaky clean IPA glass.

Yob said:
are you adding to the glass and then pouring? Shouldn't affect head if done like this.
Yep, squirt into bottom of glass then pour from keg tap on top getting a nice swirl in the glass for mixing purposes, hmmmm odd

I have found there is a noticable difference from the day of keg addition to 5 days later. Originally was like, yep there is something extra in the beer but nothing special. 5 days later, its now more like extra flame out additions, more flavour and aroma, like from actual hop usage. Using 1.5ml citra and 1.5ml simcoe

Mine just arrived. Can't wait to give them a whirl. Tempted to bung a couple ml in the keg now but I'm not too sure how long til it kicks... could end up overdosing!! ;)

timmi9191 said:
I have found there is a noticable difference from the day of keg addition to 5 days later. Originally was like, yep there is something extra in the beer but nothing special. 5 days later, its now more like extra flame out additions, more flavour and aroma, like from actual hop usage. Using 1.5ml citra and 1.5ml simcoe
Nice, was last weekend I dosed a keg with 4.5ml, will pour one tonight when splitting.

:)

timmi9191 said:
I have found there is a noticable difference from the day of keg addition to 5 days later.
I have to agree, the change is quite marked from the first tastings I had also, the 'green' taste (which I never minded anyway) has dissipated leaving the hop blend (2.5ml Citralicious and 2ml Geronimo) to play...

Very interesting... Im interested in seeing how this lasts over the next month, given it was a full keg, I should be able to get a good gauge on it over the next few weeks as long as I don't get stuck into it over the weekend (I make no promises on this point)

:)

My order of Galaxy, Mosaic and Simcoe arrived during the week. I found the Simcoe quite overpowering and medicinal, to be fair though I think it was more of a squirt into the glass then a controlled dosage. Just added Galaxy to a glass of JS Hop Thief 7, first glass was also a bit medicinal, but the second is going down a treat it actually smells and tastes of Galaxy right to the last swig, unlike the original.

It's that edge we are finding that dissipates after a few days in the keg.

You can easily have too much in a glass, Mahdu and I had about 2ml in a RIS in a SHOT glass last week... That was heavy going...

But fun :)

Yeah I can't wait for my next batch to finish so I can add some to the keg. Will be trying 1ml Simcoe and 1.5ml each of Galaxy and Mosaic.

I just brewed docs session light From the database it came out a cracker beer @3.3%alc. But was lacking aroma. Dropped 3mls of citra in. Problem solved . Honestly tastes like a full strength it's a great recipe. (Even without the citra) but the citra addition just tricked it up.
Was wondering tho yob. Will the hop aroma fade like normal?

Alright, so I've got a pale ready to crash chill and keg. I haven't added any dry hops and plan to use all Victory. I usually do this up at 3g/L dry hop. Do you reckon I go 4ml or venture up to 5ml?

I want to bottle a few up before I keg to enter into Beerfest next month so I don't want to under-do it.

Do you reckon racking into another fermenter with the hop extract in it will do a decent job of mixing it in? I'll be filling the bottle straight after unless suggested otherwise.

Cheers!

Id just put it in the keg personally, less transfers are better.

Ive not played with the Victory at all so I'd err on the side of caution and go 4ml if it were me, if you have carbinator caps, it makes any adjustments easy to acomplish

OK a little whoopsie on my behalf.

Product listed as Victory is not the Mosaic based extract, it's the Nelson Sauvin

it should have been (and will be) as follows

Magnifico = Mosaic
Limonata = Motueka
Victory = Nelson Sauvin

I apologize fro any inconvenience and if anyone wished a full product refund, please let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.

I was getting ready to split the other two and noticed the error... not sure how it happened but it has.

Oops..

Yob said:
Id just put it in the keg personally, less transfers are better.

Ive not played with the Victory at all so I'd err on the side of caution and go 4ml if it were me, if you have carbinator caps, it makes any adjustments easy to acomplish
Yeah, plan was to put it into the keg but I need to bottle a few from the fermenter for the comp. I'll just move the whole thing into the keg then fill some bottles via keezer tap and hose before I carb it.

4ml it is, will report back.

Yob said:

Product listed as Victory is not the Mosaic based extract, it's the Nelson Sauvin

Magnifico = Mosaic
Limonata = Motueka
Victory = Nelson Sauvin

I apologize fro any inconvenience and if anyone wished a full product refund, please let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.

I was getting ready to split the other two and noticed the error... not sure how it happened but it has.

Oops..
Haha yeah, I saw the description about gooseberry and thought there had been a mix-up, as you did mention Mosaic would be called Magnifico.

Yob said:

Magnifico = Mosaic
Limonata = Motueka
Victory = Nelson Sauvin

Oops..
Blame it on the RIS:p

Latest posts

Back