Super Aroma - Hop Shots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Rather than getting buried in the HDA thread,

Ive listed Super Aroma Hop Shots on DOTD as it doesn't seem to be fitting on other pages.

The good missus tells me it stunk the house out last night, all I can say is that I had a great nights sleep, currently listed in 2x3ml and 10ml leurlock (capped) syringes for easy application.

Here is the link to YC's product pages.

LINKY

Its different to the stuff I bought elsewhere a while ago which was clear and odorless :blink: this stuff was thick and needed some mild heat treatment to package (I also took the liberty of adding, on advice for the supplier, a small amount of pure alcohol to help with diffusion)

Im told it can be added as a flame out addition or at packaging, a friend and I look forward to experimenting with a few bottles of CPA tonight.

Infusion rates, as I understand it are about 1.5ml / keg or greater so getting a drip into a glass will be a challenge I look forward to.

This has been a long time coming from my end, I wanted to get it right and make it as easy to apply as possible. If they thicken in the syringe, place in a small amount of water and add a very gentle heat to liquify, it will certainly stay liquified long enough to apply, this is just a bit of a 'thumb' at this point till I can play with it more tonight.

Hop Shot.jpg

Info is pretty scarce mate, if I had to guess, I'd say it was a blend, seemed to have that piney fruit Id associate with a chinook(y) amarillo kinda mix, maybe centennial.

Hard to say, I might drop YC an email to see what they say.

Cheers

From their product sheet.

APPLICATION:

YC-HopAroma Super is primarily used as kettle hop ingredient to economically replace or reinforce the aroma fraction of the traditional kettle hop bill. It is designed to provide hop character to beer and our belief is that the quantity of hop oils and the time of their addition will have more influence on beer aroma than the oil profile of hops alone. YC-HopAroma Super used in the brew kettle will lead to improved trub formation. Also, beta acids and hop oils will enhance the antimicrobial and antifoam properties in wort.

ADDITION PROCEDURE:

Add the YC-HopAroma Super into wort early during kettle boil to control excessive foaming and contribute to the kettle break and late during kettle boil to provide hop aroma to beer. YC- HopAroma Super, packaged in tins, has to be heated up to 40°C and properly mixed in order to melt and homogenize the product before making an addition into the brew kettle. Heating temperature and time to melt may vary slightly. Temperatures above 50°C are not recommended to prevent loss of delicate aroma components. The addition of 0.2 Kg - 0.5 Kg of YC-HopAroma Super to the equivalent of 100 HL of finished beer 10-15 minutes before kettle break will provide a good base for evaluation of hop character.

STORAGE:

YC-HopAroma Super should be stored at a temperature between -3°C and 20°C and will remain stable in closed container for 5 years when stored under these conditions.

Very cool. Anyone that tasted Garage Project Mecha-hop when they made it for GABS in 2014, it used only products such as this for hopping (although variety-specific versions), and it was brilliant.

Gonna have to give them a go. Dont have any Mosaic hanging around in the bottom of your freezer that I can grab with it do ya yob?

P.S. When do you think 2015 US hops will start filtering in?

Packing green herbs into vac bags, now syringes. You have very understanding neighbours :p

"YC-HopAroma Super should be stored at a temperature between -3°C and 20°C and will remain stable in closed container for 5 years when stored under these conditions."
5 Years? I'll take a gallon!

What AA is it? I have been after some hop shot stuff to make some super IBU beers :) *Cough Younger*

takai said:
What AA is it? I have been after some hop shot stuff to make some super IBU beers :) *Cough Younger*
< 1.1% according to the docs - aroma only.

technobabble66 said:
+10

I find it hard to believe you haven't at least keg hopped the shizzle out of something with this yet, Jesse!!
we had almost a single batch worth in a single bottle of CPA last night... pure resin man.. was intense and I'll not do it a second time.

If you look on the data sheet, it lends itself to a 15 min (or cube) addition as I read it. Needs heat to make it diffuse I think.

Im looking forward to brewing a big old IIIPA with it and going 1ml every minute for the last 10 minutes and then something stupid for a cube addition.

takai said:
0.9 on this lot mate

Hi Yob, just bought some of the super aroma. Have you done any more playing around with the extract?

nope, not had a chance, had another bub enter the house recently so Im a bit tied up and time is scarce...

"maybe" tmoz if I can swing it... but Im not holding my breath..

On the night of tasting it was pretty clear it needs to be a kettle addition. It globs up in cold beer:

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1443079161.207715.jpg

However the producer recommends no more than 50C, IIRC, so not sure what to do with no chill. Probably just give no chill a go. A little goes a VERY long way.

I got a tiny little blorp on my finger that turned out to be about 15 litres worth and licked with a "Well, here we go," feeling. It was...intense. Barely bitter but HUGE hop flavour. Indescribable. I had a solid hop stone within minutes and pissed like a racehorse for the next few hours.

disolve in 50C water in keg and rack finished beer on top maybe? Hate to see the yeast take half the aroma =)

my next brewday I do intend to have a mess about with it.. should have been today but I'm against the clock with the brewery renos and Id prefer to have a completed brewery with which to do my next brews.

Hoping to get it all done during the week and get a mash on next weekend.. fingers crossed.

I'll be going 2.5ml into the cube as a base level

I've never tasted anything like it. You're right, its quite floral on the nose but I'm not too sure the resinous aspect of it will carry though to the taste (but definitely the aroma will stand up).

Back