Super Aroma - Hop Shots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
aah fuckers.. sorry about that man..
No sweat mate, was out of your hands.....Auspost and it's only going to get worst with all the new changes starting Monday.

BottloBill said:
No sweat mate, was out of your hands.....Auspost and it's only going to get worst with all the new changes starting Monday.
Cheers Yob, finally landed:D
Is it pre-diluted for easier handling?

That's why I'm asking, put some in an Aussie Pale and was like drinking a depth charger with zest:blink:

BottloBill said:
That's why I'm asking, put some in an Aussie Pale and was like drinking a depth charger with zest:blink:
Ive never had one of these.. is that a good thing or not?

Regardless, no dilution on my end man, as received... same sent.

BottloBill said:
how much did you put in? we found you can definitely over do it, Ive found (with Geronimo and Citralicious) that a combined 8-10 drops with a dispensing tip in a pint is ample more than this can get a bit much even for my tortured taste buds..

Mardoo and I had a Raspbeery RIS wash of the flask which was off the effing hook, definitely can have too much of a good thing... !

Not a bad thing! Will back the next sample off, was 8 drops each of citralicious and outbackto a 330ml. I had a big one coming off the Cubans so tastebuds are a bit flared
Drop a Chivas shot into a schooner of light= Depth charger

Mine arrived in the post today Citra & simcoe. Only took 2 days from melb to syd and vacuum sealed to boot..

Opened the cap and had a quick sniff and the aroma is exactly like sticking your head into a bag of hops. Very impressive for what it is. These are exciting times!

I squirted 1 ml of the Citra into a half full keg of IPA I have going. I'll give it a report later tonight after it settles a bit and see if there's a development/change in the aroma from package to glass.

A few Questions:
1. what is the extraction method used? is it a solvent chemical process or is it using that new extraction method used by sierra nevada by way of using only CO2 to get the oils?

2. What are the source hops for these oils? i know you don't actually call them by their trademarked names but are the actual source hops actual citra and simcoe hops?

3. Are there any other ingredients in these oils we should know about?

4. Do you know the country of manufacture?

Cheers!

tonymc said:
A few Questions:
1. what is the extraction method used? is it a solvent chemical process or is it using that new extraction method used by sierra nevada by way of using only CO2 to get the oils?

I dont believe its chemical based,

"developed green, solvent free hop products"

2. What are the source hops for these oils? i know you don't actually call them by their trademarked names but are the actual source hops actual citra and simcoe hops?

Yes, actual cone hops, I have a list of the conversion names for their range

3. Are there any other ingredients in these oils we should know about?

Its a glycerol type medium I believe so nothing to worry about at all.

4. Do you know the country of manufacture?

Yes, UK

Exactly what I wanted to hear!

The 1ml citra in the IPA Keg last night... I'd probably add more only because it was a 7.2% beer with about 50 IBU's and already dry hopped with 30g each of citra, simcoe and mosaic - not really a great test to be honest - although I could tell the additional citra aroma was there - and with a 'fresher' smell.

The punch and freshness is there in the base oils, it's just a case of working out how many ml per keg to apply in order to being it up to par with a bigish dry hopped beer like Murray's Fred.

Would it be safe to say 1ml of liquid = 30g of dry hops?

I guess the answer will only come with experimentation.

Any timeline on when the Mosaic is going to be ready?

tonymc said:
Put me down for 3 mosaic plz
there will be no shortage of Mosaic / Magnifico :)

Splitting this on on Saturday night now so will be listed tmoz arvo (Policy is to only list when splitting is known to be happening)

The Motueka and Nelson may have to wait a little, the folks who I get the syringe caps off have released 2 new colors so I'd prefer to wait for those for continuity sake.. dunno what I'll do for the next batch though.. Im out of colors

Is there a defined keg dosage formula for these?

Say I am happy with 8 drops in a 330ml glass how would this convert up to Ml in a 19L keg to get the same effect as the glass?

57 glasses in a 19L keg * 8 drops = 456 drops (not ideal and I'd lose count )

Also, are the drops coming out of the syrynge the same size as the drops when using the applicator thingys?

P.S. any chance you can get hold of falconers flight in these hop shots - i reckon it would be the perfect hop variety for this use:

Falconers flight:
Description: Tropical Fruit, Citrus, floral, lemon and Grapefruit character (the best of the best)
Typical Beer Styles: American pale, amber, American IPA, IBA, Black IPA etc. (pretty much anything you want awesome hop character in)

Mosaic.. AKA Victory.. all ready to shoot up.. I mean into.. :ph34r:

Will add to the site tmoz,

Awaiting packaging for the Motueka and Nelson Sauvin.. also awaiting some 'sample size' packaging for others Ive got which I'll be offering free as soon as it comes in next week.

:kooi:

Had first play with the chocolate last night. 5 drops into my glass. Smelling just the drops is a very rich choc aroma.

Poured some oatmeal stout on top of it and it definitely livened it up. It actually appeared to modify the flavour (probably through the aroma as i drank it). Making the stout appear more rich than it was.

Trying to think of a lighter beer that is still appropriate for chocolate than a stout, any ideas for testing purposes? Coopers dark ale? Rogers?

Failing that ill have another stout in a few weeks to test some more....

Back