Super Aroma - Hop Shots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hop cartel said:
Just plug the Mosaic straight to my veins:D
Just done in 10mls of above said and forgot to put beer in it:blink:
Might belong in the "you know your addicted" thread yeah?

Yob said:
Never leave home without them rus ;)
Funny you should say that, went out to lunch to a bar with a mate and as we were at the bar he said, "hope you bought your syringe". I left the bloody thing at home.

Need to stock up on a couple of other varieties.

Searched the thread and couldn't find any info. How are peeps going with adding some hop shot to an already filled keg. Is it easily diffused into the liquid if you squirt it in the top, re-burp/gas up and then just turn the keg on it's head then feet a few times gently?

yup, is what I did, %100 soluble in cold beverage.

Note, takes a few days to "settle" into a final profile, there is some "green" properties that seem to diffuse over those few days.

Cool that is perfect. Looking to keg, carb and taste a beer before dosing it so I have some reference as to the effect.

Just reporting back after I finally got around to dosing a batch of IPA.

I used 2 syringes for 21L (Citra and Simcoe). I bulk primed and bottled. Let carbonate at room temp for 2 weeks.

At that early stage it was drinkable but tasted a bit strange; a bit fake/synthetic, and also a bit sweet like the beer hadn't attenuated properly (it had).

A couple of weeks later and it tastes great. I still think there's the slightest of "fake" tastes to it, but anyone else who's tastes it reckons it's awesome.

Would definitely recommend people give them a try.

My initial reaction to adding Citra and tasting it immediately was that "someone farted in my beer." Waiting for an hour didn't really seem to make it any better. However, 20 hours later and it was much better. Three days later it was fine. That was in pint sized bottles. I'll be doing a whole keg in the next two weeks, but it will go in at the bottom, before transfer at "room" temperature.

EDIT: My plan is to use about 8mL of Citra in a keg of APA. I was generous with my hopping already, so this addition is purely for the grapefruity twist in the nose.

Yeah, I like the super aroma shots as a bump to the other hops I've already added. I'd guess they would be great for folks entering hoppy beers into competition, for that extra zing.

They absolutely need a few days to blend with beer fully for best effect. That said, the already well-documented fun that can be had with them down the local pub is, uh, fun.

peteru said:
My initial reaction to adding Citra and tasting it immediately was that "someone farted in my beer." Waiting for an hour didn't really seem to make it any better. However, 20 hours later and it was much better. Three days later it was fine. That was in pint sized bottles. I'll be doing a whole keg in the next two weeks, but it will go in at the bottom, before transfer at "room" temperature.

EDIT: My plan is to use about 8mL of Citra in a keg of APA. I was generous with my hopping already, so this addition is purely for the grapefruity twist in the nose.
we tried the Motueka on Thai Green Curry after Beerfest.. was awesome

I put my first lot of these into kegs today (then bump carb for 36 hours) used the galaxy and mosiac. Little bit of mosiac dropped onto my finger so of course I licked it up. HOW GOOD IS THIS STUFF!!!!!! Thinking of buying it in bulk use it in salad dressings, frying, icecream, pastas, custards, marinades. Cant wait for my first two pints monday lunchtime!!!!

Thanks again for the help!!!!

Beamer

So, bringing this thread back as I plan to use some Hop Dealz Hopburst Shotz for the first time and want to know what peoples general experiences with additions are/were. I am wanting to add some Galaxy and Mosaic aroma to a mostly Cascade hopped APA I brewed on Sunday, which is fermenting away nicely at the moment.

Question for those that have used the Hopburst hop shotz that Yob sold.

My plan is to put some Galaxy and Mosaic Hop Burst (shots) in to my kegs instead of dry hopping and want to know what others have experienced with it. I was going to try a 19L keg with the recommended amount and a 5L mini with double of each to see what is best. Recommended dosage is ~2ml per 20L (so was thinking 1ml for 5L mini). Thoughts? Should I go with double that, based on earlier posts here or should I go with the recommended dosage. I am thinking something with nice fruity flavour and aroma, similar to many of the commercial APA's or Aussie versions of the same.

So the brew was an APA based on what I had at hand.

Vienna malt (Weyermann) 7.5 EBC 4.5 Kg 46.2%
Pilsner malt (Gladfields) 3.8 EBC 3 Kg 30.8%
Wheat malt (Gladfields) 4.1 EBC 2 Kg 20.5%
Caramunich III 160 EBC 250 gm 2.6%

Mash at 64C @ 90 mins raised to 70C for 10mins

10 gm FWH 90min Brewers Gold 13.8% AA 4.9 IBU (FWH additional 10% IBU calculated)
25 gm FWH 90min Caliente 12% AA 10.6 IBU (FWH additional 10% IBU calculated)
60 gm 15min Cascade (US) 5.5% AA 11.6 IBU
11 gm 5min Yeast nutrient
1 tab 5min Whirlfloc
100 gm Flame out with 30min hop stand Cascade (US) 5.5% AA 19.4 IBU (Calc. as 10% utilisation)

Recipe IBU: 46.17 IBU

Actual OG: 1051
Estimated FG: 1013
Yeast BRY-97 (1 packet per fermentor)
Fermentor volume: 52L

EDIT - Apprx water chem was;
Ca+2 / Mg+2 / Na+ / Cl- / SO4-2 / HCO3-
109.2 / 9.2 / 39.3 / 71.6 / 251.3 / 54

Be wary of the age and storage conditions of your hop shots. In particular, oxidisation can be a problem. I'd suggest experimenting in a PET bottle with a carbonation cap first. Figure out the quality of the hop shot and the dosing rate in small quantity, before you dose a whole keg. I had two syringes of the same hop extract. One had a little bubble of air in it, the other one didn't. When it came to using them, the one contaminated with air ruined the beer, whereas the other one added an interesting twist at lower rates, but became "stinky" when dialed up.

Be wary of the age and storage conditions of your hop shots. In particular, oxidisation can be a problem. I'd suggest experimenting in a PET bottle with a carbonation cap first. Figure out the quality of the hop shot and the dosing rate in small quantity, before you dose a whole keg. I had two syringes of the same hop extract. One had a little bubble of air in it, the other one didn't. When it came to using them, the one contaminated with air ruined the beer, whereas the other one added an interesting twist at lower rates, but became "stinky" when dialed up.
I used an aroma shot in a competition beer and the beer got dinged for 'skunky hops'. Hop Shot was over a year old.

All the other hop additions were 2017 variety.

Latest posts

Back